PDA

View Full Version here: : Red plastic filter for laptop screen

RobF
26-02-2009, 11:30 PM
What are people currently using to tame laptop screens? Can any Brisbanites refer me to somewhere I could buy a reasonably durable sheet or film of red screening material?

thanks in advance,
R

Tandum
26-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Rob, I bought an 10" square opaque sheet for a light box from a glassier down moss street for $10. I'm sure they had red stuff there as well and they cut to size while you wait.

They are on the left, about 1/2 way between the springwood service road and the first bend at the top of the moss street hill.

Dennis
27-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi Rob

Some time ago I wrote an article on Ice In Space (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-213-0-0-1-0.html)about using Neutral Density Film to dim a laptop display.

I purchased the theatre grade film for “The Production Shop (http://www.productionshop.com.au/contact.cfm)”, now in Woolloongabba. You can also get various shades of red and this stuff is very tough. I think the range is Lee filter film?

Cheers

Dennis

toryglen-boy
27-02-2009, 09:19 AM
what VGA chipset is on your laptop? why dont you create a colour switchable profile that throws reds to the front, drops the blues, green, and gamma?

that what i do?

:thumbsup:

RB
27-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Rob, Dennis' suggestion is spot-on, but I wanted to share another idea with you as well.
I went to a sign maker and took my laptop with me and asked him to measure up and make a screen in dark red perspex that fits over the screen.
He bent the corners so the perspex just clips in place and is very sturdy.

:)

RB
27-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Unfortunately this does not stop all the brightness from coming through.
We had a discussion on IIS a long time ago about this and people agreed that by only turning down the other colours was not sufficient to protect night vision.
A physical filter was preferred.
Personal preference I suppose.

toryglen-boy
27-02-2009, 09:33 AM
yeah, that makes sense ...

although newer laptops allow for individual adjustment to contrast and backlight etc, especially if you have an LCD backlit screen (more and more laptops do) gives good views at all angles, and not all washed out either

:)