PDA

View Full Version here: : Tele Vue 1.25" x2 Barlow

NGC2264
19-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Just a quick one. I rang Bintel to see whether they had any of these in stock and they said no, it would take two weeks to get them in.

Are Bintel in Sydney and melbourne the only shops that stock tele vue eye pieces or are there other shops that sell them. And are these shops grey importers or duly authorised distributors?

wasyoungonce
19-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I believe they are the only AUS authorised dealers:

http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=60#Australia_

Probably why the TV stuff is so expensive, sigh! That's why we need competition.

There are other good barlows around...why just TV? Don't get me wrong...I have a TV 1.25inch 2X Barlow. It's good but there are others just as good.

JethroB76
19-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Actually, despite being the sole distributor (AFAIK) taking into account the exchange rate, Bintels' Televue EP/barlow prices compare very well (ie mostly within a few dollars) with prices in the States.

NGC2264
19-02-2009, 03:20 PM
It is my intention to eventually upgrade from the standard plossl eyepieces that come with Sky-watcher dobs to higher quality eyepieces, so I want to get a very good quality Barlow so that there will be no degredation in image when I upgrade to higher quality eye pieces.

I have read reviews in relation to Barlows and a general consensus out in the astro-community seems to be that for the money the quality you get with the Tele Vue Barlows is a steal.

Nevertheless, if you have other recommendations I am all ears.

erick
19-02-2009, 03:41 PM
You might benefit from a bit of searching around this site. Eg:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-9679.html

though a bit old now. There will be other threads, I'm sure.

Eric :)

wasyoungonce
19-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I bet new stock coming in costs more! At the varying Aust dollar....no wonder the difference.

JethroB76
19-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Well, yes the price may change in the future, but at the moment, its not bad is it..

NGC2264
19-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks Eric. I suspected there were old threads on the topic but I am still trying to find my around so to speak.

I saw an interesting comment from jjinnette.

She stated that 2" barlow takes a 1.25" eyepiece. If this is the case is there other issues with performance of the 1.25" eyepieces with a 2" Barlow? Do many people do this or is it wise to match like with like?

wasyoungonce
19-02-2009, 09:45 PM
The 2 inch Barlow mentioned will have an adaptor for 1.25 inch eyepieces..or you can put an adaptor on. Thus you can fit 2" & 1.25" eyepieces to the one Barlow...thus "Two for the price of one". No performance loss when using 1.25" eyepieces.

If your planning to buy 2" eyepieces then a 2" barlow is a better option.

2" Barlows cost more though.