PDA

View Full Version here: : Polar scope illumination adjustment

bluescope
16-02-2009, 02:43 AM
EQ6 polar scope
:help:

Does anyone know how to adjust the intensity of the illumination of the EQ6 Pro polar scope please ?

:shrug:

peter_4059
16-02-2009, 07:34 AM
I don't think the Synscan version has adjustment like the original basic EQ6 had. I assume you could add a potentiometer without too much trouble if you wanted to reduce its intensity.

bluescope
16-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks Peter ... I was hoping there would be a software solution.

:thumbsup:

bojan
16-02-2009, 04:13 PM
EQ6 (basic one) has very strange and not well designed LED circuit.

I had to replace 2 original resistors on the main PCB with much higher values to get reasonable behaviour of the circuit (that means. the intensity of LED is now appropriate for dark conditions, it is not blinding me any more and the intensity can be actually adjusted) .
I also replaced other resistors (in series with ON LED and the ones in remote control box) so now they are glowing with reasonable intensity in the dark (no, they are not visible during the day any more ).

Darren's mod has software solution for polar LED (PWM signal at one uP pin), but the mount still has to be rewired.

bluescope
16-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks Bojan ... I'm not really into the modifying of gear unfortunately ... so I guess I'll just put up with it.

bojan
16-02-2009, 07:10 PM
OK..
However, just in case someone else wants to dig into this, attached here is schematic of LED circuit that I reverse-engineered.
Perhaps it will be useful....

Shawn
16-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Good stuff, thankyou gents, Im sure I commented here before, and said short answer NO to a Can I question, 'you cant without modding', this mod looks practical Bojan , cheers...Steer me on the right track , the illumination as it is is as much use as a chocolate fireguard...:lol:.. Prolly OK for North, though...

S

bmitchell82
16-02-2009, 07:48 PM
I had a look at the voltage output to the led. it was at 4.6V to my idea it should be more like 2 volts.

considering that its just a plug in led to the main PCB it should be easy to just solder in the correct value to drop the voltage down. other than that justs use a torch off axis with a red filter on. works a treat for me and i can line the octans up in the middle of perth. easy done

Shawn
16-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Octans spends a lot of time here very close to the horizon BM.. that doesn't help... LED,s are supposed to run at about 3 volts aren't they... correct me if Im wrong, but Im with Blue on this its just too bright...

Up until this post I gave up on mine and tonite will use the long exposure trial and error drift method....assuming can see the sky...:lol:

bluescope
17-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Well I'm glad my question has sparked a bit of interest at least guys ... good luck with the mods and please post a result ... maybe with some photos and a step by step guide for dummies like me who might then give it a try.

Cheers !