PDA

View Full Version here: : Guidecam - Which one?

prova
12-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Looking for the cheapest and easiest guide camera to use with an 80mm guidescope and PHD

Keen to hear recommendations..

Cheers

:thumbsup:

AlexN
12-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Cheapest and easiest are mutually exclusive goals Mark...

Cheapest would be a 2nd hand modified ToUcam..

Easiest would be a QHY5..

Personally, I would look at the QHY5 if I were you.. Its got a built in guide port that is 100% compatible with the EQ6, so you would not need to buy the GPUSB that you would need with a ToUcam (unless you're going to be using EQMOD) The QHY5 is also a fair bit more sensitive, Many people say they never adjust their guide scopes after buying a QHY5, a 2sec exposure will find guidestars anywhere.. Thats a big big plus in my books...

prova
12-02-2009, 10:45 AM
QHY5 is around $400 inc postage cables etc.. would a 900NC do the job? Cause I can get them inc the adapter for around $120

Big difference..

AlexN
12-02-2009, 11:16 AM
yeah, but then you need a GPUSB, thats around $100 as well... + postage.. ~$250...

yes, it will work, but its more usb leads all over the place, and a less sensitive camera... If you're not worried about the extra cables kicking around the mount, then she's all good, go the toucam.. Im a cableophobic... I dont do unnecessary cables..

gbeal
12-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I used a ToUcam, and a means of interfacing it to the PC, (not GPUSB), it worked and well. I now use a QHY5, and while it seems more sensitive, I can't seem to achieve the reported "2sec exposure will find guide-stars anywhere". Maybe it is the way I use it. I still adjust the guide-scope to find a brighter guide-star.
You could do worse by simply starting with a ToUcam, as unless you own one it is also handy for lunar and planetary as well.
GGary

prova
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Anyone know much about the Orion Autoguider camera's?

AlexN
12-02-2009, 12:02 PM
$469 @ bintel last I checked..... and its a rebadged QHY5... hence my original comment... :D

Omaroo
12-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Drivers are different for QHY5 and Orion cameras, that's all.

prova
12-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Just bought the Orion Autoguider from Bintel (with a discount) as I bought some other gear at the same time, so the price diff between that and the QHY5 was minimal..

Plan to use it with PHD

:thumbsup:

Geoff45
12-02-2009, 01:21 PM
You won't go wrong with this. Using an 70mm guidescope there are always suitable guidestars in the window. Never have to move the guidescope. I've now gone to using it with an off-axis guider and once again there is no shortage of guidestars.
Geoff

AlexN
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Nice one Mark! :)

Fantastic choice...
Can't wait to see you put this gear to use! :) should be great!

prova
12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Cheers Alex

Should be a really nice setup, time for some looong subs
Now a question of how far my stock 350D can be pushed...?

AlexN
12-02-2009, 02:45 PM
as far as you're willing to push it... :)

it will do 15 minute subs... but you'll need plenty of darks to clean it up... I would completely recommend using a 240v power plug for the camera too instead of batteries... using batteries in my camera resulted in more amp glow... and also the images seemed noisier... using the power adapter removes a bit of heat from the camera, and hence, warms the sensor.. :)

Best of luck mate!
Alex.

prova
12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Wow..

My aim is to be hitting 8-10mins subs and I'd be absolutely thrilled if I can manage that with my new gear

:)

Question though, how critical is polar and drift alignment when guiding?

AlexN
12-02-2009, 03:06 PM
for 8~10 minute subs... fairly critical.. you dont need to be PERFECT! but the further out you are, the more likely it will be that your images will have field rotation...

I aim to have the polar alignment as perfect as is possible on any given night of imaging, this way the autoguider has to do less work... only correcting for my mounts inadequacies, not also correcting for poor polar alignment... This generally results in much finer images... I recommend mastering drift alignment, its not hard, it doesnt take long, and your images will benefit greatly...

Alex.

Geoff45
12-02-2009, 06:44 PM
10 min subs with the 350D are easily manageable. It was my normal session. You can get a DC adapter from Hutech to run the camera.
Geoff

Tilt
13-02-2009, 09:38 PM
DC adapter, go ebay. I got a new Canon one for my 350D for only $4.25

BTW, I've used a QHY5 to guide 10 min exposures with the 350D and it was fine, although bit noisy, but that's because the ambient temp was around 27 degrees.

Michael

bert
14-02-2009, 08:16 AM
I have the starshoot autoguider and I love it. Works a treat except the software/drivers wants to be reloaded every time I plug it into my laptop.

I have never had an issue getting guidestars with a 1 sec exposure through an 80mm f7 scope.

Looks like we have a very similar imaging setup....

Brett

Tilt
14-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I have that exact same issue with a QHY5 and I have no idea why? I guess its not a major problem as they only take a couple of seconds to load and then we are good to go. Probably windoze up to its usual tricks :lol:

Michael

pjphilli
14-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi Prova
I agree with the comments on the QHY5 provided by Alex. On advice from a previous thread I purchased a QHY5 and I was intially unhappy with its performance. On seeking further advice namely:
1. Focus carefully
2. Use a moderate focal length. I now use an old 100mm Mak at f6.
3. Use the PHD dark frame facility.
After following this advice I now am very happy with the QHY5. I usually have my guide scope collimated with my imaging scope and I can usually find several suitable guide stars on the PHD screen. The QHY5 should work well with your 80mm.
Cheers Peter