PDA

View Full Version here: : Help slewing problems with Heq5 Pro mount :(

mbaddah
05-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Pulled the heq5pro mount last night to test hand controller and go-to (running Synscan v3.23).

Upon entering initial setup parameters (i.e. time, date etc...), I select (YES) to start the "star alignment" procedure. I set the slew speed to *9, and when using the directional keys to move the scope, i find only 2, sometimes 3 directions work only (not all 4). Mainly I can't reverse the dec setting using the down key (can hear slight buzzing sound coming from mount), but nothing moves. Sometimes even the right or left key won't work, forcing me to return to home position and starting all over again!

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm thinking of downgrading the firmware and trying previous versions seen how it goes? Would appreciate any help on the issue thanks guys :(

Omaroo
05-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Never having a Synscan Moh, I'll leave that to someone who has, but is your scope perfectly balanced in both axes? Almost sounds like your motors are receiving their instructions to move but are physically straining to. Clutches nipped up?

mbaddah
05-02-2009, 11:18 AM
I made sure scope was balanced perfectly before proceeding and clutches were unlocked. The joys of alignment :( Thanks Chris...

RobF
05-02-2009, 09:43 PM
If you do a search on HEQ5Pro here you'll find some threads with conversations amoung those of us that suffered through some early problems. They seem to come down to problems with handcontroller, cable, or power supply. Not to say those are the only possibilities of course.

Mine was a dodgey connection on my cable. A normal cat5 or cat6 network cable can be used in place of the coiled springy black cable if you want to eliminate this possibility (I find the 5m cable I bought handy sometimes if I want to get get some distance from my setup anyway).

Power seems unlikely if its only one button with problems. Handcontroller sounds like a distinct possibility - might need a trip back to supplier if still an option.

(my supplier happily replaced my cable once I'd figured out what was going on - slewing and alignment would just drop out randomly anytime for me before that :mad2:)

Omaroo
06-02-2009, 07:46 AM
How'd you go with this Moh? You mentioned that you had your clutches "unlocked" - which of course will result in no drive. Did you lock them up and try again?

asterisk
06-02-2009, 08:21 AM
My thoughts as well - beat me to it

NCRAW
06-02-2009, 10:41 AM
I have to check mine too. how fast is speed 9? is it something you can see moving.

I tested the mount once and it was without a scope or weights. The head moved to position when i selected a star for alignment so i know the motors and gears are working but when i wanted to find tune, all i recall is that i got the sounds but didnt see a big movement. Is the movement so small that it only noticable by looking through the finder or the scope to a star. If i recall, i rem seeing the head moving but very slowly after staring at it for a while.

Just want to confirm what is speed 9? similar to when the mount self aligns or is it a slow movement?

mbaddah
06-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Unfortunately I didn't get home from work till late last night so didn't get a chance test it out. I'll make sure tonight give it a run with the clutches locked and see how it goes.

If problems still persist i'll buy new cat5/6 cable over the weekend and give that a shot as well. Thanks guys for the help :thumbsup:

bmitchell82
06-02-2009, 11:22 AM
it wont be your cat 5 cable. if theres a connection with the wire then theres a connection, it TX and RX's down 2 wires. it doesn't do it for each function down a different wire, if you understand what im saying,

When you balance the scope you loosen all the dec and Ra locks. do you lock them back up after you finished.? i do mine quite tight.

If they are unlocked they might work in one direction because there might be some weight to drag it over, but in the other direction nothing.

theres not much else that could be going wrong, because if you have movement on that shaft in one direction there is no way you cant have it in the other direction unless the keypad is stuffed. You can test that with eqmod because it uses the keypad to pass all control to your computer. and you have buttons to go left right up down ....??? give that a pump, if all else fails make a post and let us know me and daniel will be out tonight fiddling around so more than likely we should be able to help you out with any specifics.

NCRAW
06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Before u disappear bmitchell, what about the speeds, can u tell me how fast is the top speed? is it made for looking through the finder or the scope or actually moving the head manually to select ur own stars?

bmitchell82
06-02-2009, 11:52 AM
The top speed will slew the whole scope from one side of the sky to the other within 20 - 30 seconds. its fast and it sound like a jet winding up. though it takes the same time to wind down, where as when you have it on the slower speeds its a instant movement though very small.

When you have a good load on your mount like i do you don't want it jerking trying to move so much inertia.

NCRAW
06-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Hmmmm then i might have a problem too!! mine is in all directions. All i get is noise but no fast movement!! if it is as fast as auto align (ie when u press the button so the head directs to a star) then im in deep S*it!! i will check again tonight. Maybe i have a cable issue. Hope it is not the handheld unit. Can it be firmware issue?

bmitchell82
06-02-2009, 12:44 PM
mmmm interesting, do you have all your dec and RA locks done up nice and tight (with your hands only)?

NCRAW
06-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Pretty sure i did that one cause the head runs through the alignment on auto. I will check what speed i am on.

everything else works with the handheld so im not sure what the issue is.

NCRAW
06-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Well to my relief all is well on the mount now. how embarrasing but i was not pressing enter button after changing the speed and was sticking to "2". All good and tried the cable both ways. thanks for ur help guys

pjphilli
07-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Mbaddah - I also had funny effects with my HEQ5Pro when I first got it.
I eventually fixed it by downloading the latest Synscan firmware. I also got rid of that silly short curled connection cable and replaced it with a 2 metre Cat 5e Patch Lead which is a very well made flexible lead. If you wish (I did not bother) you can unclip the black interference suppression box from the curly lead and clip it onto the above replacement lead. (I got my Cat 5e patch lead from JayCars Cat. YN -8212 for $5.25). Note: make sure you get a straight through patch lead and DO NOT pick up a cross-over lead by mistake!
Cheers Peter

mbaddah
26-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Finally after many weeks of cloudy nights, first clear night and i took out the heq5 to test . Sure enough you were right Chris, clutches needed to be locked and all was smooth from there :) Thanks for the help :thumbsup: