PDA

View Full Version here: : Binoculars for DSO and comets

Tico
02-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Hello,

I am looking some opinions on giant binoculars for observing comets and DSO, I have looking some models like 15X70,20X80,20X90 or maybe 25X100 or 30X100(also thers is more huge binoculars,but prized for me).

If anyone have proved or compared some of this binoculars your opinions or advices are welcome.

Thank you very much,
Sincerely,
Paul

Davekyn
02-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the site...I am only new here myself but have found the place really helpfull. I'm no pro but don't mind learning. Here is my 2cents worth...Basically here is a coppy of what I sent you in PM in reference to the 20X90 I use to own.

The first thing you need to do with Bino’s of this size is obtain a Mount of some sort (even camera mount if necessary) & pick out a bright object like Jupiter and see how much out of collimation they are. My 20X90 were out & I sent them back whereupon the store did not do a very good job at fixing them, so I sold them.

BUT...My binos where considered a cheap set AND large ones of that size have a reputation for arriving out of collimation. However considering all of this, they were excellent when using for DSOs! By this I mean if I wanted to locate something to look at in my Dob but did not want to muck around with star happing or what not...I would pick up the giant binos (3.7kg) and scan the sky. Mind you though...I use to practice with dumb bell weights...LOL. This technique worked well as Most Dim objects in the sky showed up pretty straight away in the 20X90 all be it very small on some objects, which brings me to my next point. Remember you will not be able to magnify the view and DSOs in binoculars are not going to be the same as some object in a telescope. You will pick out globulars in light polluted areas which I never tried in dark skies and would only assume would stand out even more! I was impressed none the less. M31 Andromeda galaxy also was not bad however FOV was maybe a tad to small. Star fileds and open clusters where very good and I am sure I could of done much much more with them...however because of the collimation being out with Jupiter, which I could easily see the moons of, I was upset with the hole purchase and got rid of them.

I miss those Binos now, as I only paid a few hundred “AU” & in many respects feel I sold them far to quickly as for DSO’s they where quite good. I used my sisters camera mount which did give a bit of shake, however did settle down...you need a heavy duty camera/bino Tripod to truly enjoy them.

Binocular astronomy is somthing I intend to fully embrace dowon the track...I enjoy using my 15X70 BUT yes...I really do miss the 20X90. FOV is something to consider with giant binos...I opted for 20X90 becuase I thought the FOV on the 25X100 was smaller....If you could get 20X100 I would go with that, however for the price I think the 20X90 are great for the money. Just don’t expect a cheap set to relove bright objects all the way down into a nice round cerpherical object as when bright objects appear out of collimation, they tend to have a distortion with a shard of light sticking out the side, like when satrs appear to appear like a Q (a tail protruding out of them) when out of collimation...however once again this was not evident on stars or dso’s at all. In a way I really wish I did not sell them now.

I hope some of this helps...just discuss the issue of collimation with whoever you buy them from and remember that if your not paying top dollar and you can live with the fact they binos of this size do make great dso hunters, then you wont be so disapointned if you run into a little distortion on Bright planets and so forth.

Compared to my 15X70 they really showed objects to be much brighter and somewhat more in your face. My 15X70 make a fantastic pair for quick deep field observations and I have become quite good using them to scan the sky with. One way to develope strong wrists for such observing is to double up two 2.5kg dumbell weights and hold them as if using binos...before you know it, you will be able to scan the sky with a set of 20X90. LOL! (my nieghboursI probably wonder what the hell I am doing when they spot me attempting to use such items when looking over thier fence:) ) I know how crazy that sounds, but yea...works for me. Weight is a consideration...but I am sure you will be using a tripod like any sane person would for DSO...however as I said 15X70 do make an excellent deep field scanner.

Later DaveJ

bobson
02-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Paul

I asked the same question a while ago:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=39342
And based on advice from members from this forum I got 20x90 AOE binoculars, and I am very pleased with it!
It would be the best if you could look through a few of them before you buy it, places like star parties, clubs, or so.
I noticed you are from Spain and giving you AOE website would at least give you some ideas:
http://www.aoe.com.au/binoculars.html

cheers

bob

dannat
06-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Paul, welcome - I will give you 2 things to consider

1. the quality - in europe i think Helios get binos from a similar factory in china to the australian company AOE. Keep in mind there are standard run of the mill binos (cheaper) and more quality offerings. Decide where you want to be situated as far as buying goes. ie The helios Apollo series 15x70 which is a marine or ultra bino will outperform the standard 15x70 & even a standard 20x80 are far as most tests of views/quality go.(from CN website)

2. The mass of the bino/how you are going to mount it. The ultra 15x70 weigh 2.5kg, standard 15x70 weigh abut 1.5-1.8kg, 20x90 i think weigh about 4kg & the 100mm binos can be above 5kg. The mounts are expensive and handholding anything over about 2kg is very difficult for more than a brief glance at the sky.