PDA

View Full Version here: : What should I do - Scope and Mount Question

Newbie79
31-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi, Like many other people before me I would like some advice from those of you who have somewhat more experience than me.

A few months ago I purchased a Skywatcher 10" Dob. Some of the things I have seen have blown me away. I have become hooked and am looking at what my next purchase should be.

In the long run I would like to have a go at astrophotography so anything I buy I have this in the back of my mind.

I was thinking that I would purchase a EQ6 Mount and put my dob tube on it. Later i would then look at replacing the dob tube with somthing a little more suited to imaging.

My questions for you all then are:

1. Can I but my dob tube on the eq6 mount?
2. What would this set up be like for intro astrophotgraphy.
3. is the eq6 mount good for more advanced astrophotography once I got some skills and replaced my dob tube.
4. Might I be better going for somthing like a Meade LX90 or Celestron instead of eq6 mount then replacing tube.

Thanks for your time

Regards Matt

Gama
31-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I would look at buying another telescope soley for imaging.
You can then just pick up the dob for viewing on nights your a little tired or cant be bothered setting up etc.
Then when you want to image, bring out the big guns..

Theo

Paul Haese
31-01-2009, 05:47 PM
In answer to your questions my responses would be this.

Yes you can put your 10" on the EQ6. The mount is more than capable.

You will need a guide scope for imaging with the 10" also. And; to boot you will need to shorten up the 10" dob so that you can get focus with a camera.

The EQ6 is a fine mount and several people I know are using these mounts and doing very long subs and producing very tight guided stars and images. These mounts are very good indeed when used with autoguiding. They are a bit limited on weight they can carry, but good astrophotography can be done for sure.

No need to go for those branded models at all. The EQ6 has been voted several times as the best mount for the bucks.

Good luck with your venture.

Newbie79
05-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for your input. I am leaning towards getting the EQ6 and mounting my Dob tube then later on getting a tube for imaging and putting my Dob back together.

Thanks heaps

Matt
I wish these clouds would go away !!!!