PDA

View Full Version here: : Lunt Solar telescopes

CHRISZ
31-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey people,

Anyone hear anything about Lunt Solar telescopes?
I Have a 60mm H-alpha double stack with 1200 blocking filter on pre order from june last year.
Just wanted to know if anyone has heard anything about when theyll be available? or whether anyone has used one or seen any articles on these scopes.

Cheers

lesbehrens
31-01-2009, 12:25 PM
at sirius optics they have some in stock. i just need to get there to have a look to see if i will buy one.
alot of $$$
les

h0ughy
31-01-2009, 01:16 PM
not a word and mine has been ordered since march 08 - i am beginning to think they are vapourware!

CHRISZ
31-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey les,
there is a long waiting list for these scopes, sirus optics wouldnt have these in stock. You would be placed on the waiting list from Lunt solar systems which is first in first served.

lesbehrens
31-01-2009, 06:18 PM
hi. well speaking to ron he says he does have them in stock. i saw one on display.
ring and ask. lol. i am sure thats what he said to me.
les

Merlin66
31-01-2009, 07:55 PM
The Lunt solar scopes seem to be readily available over here in the UK and Europe.

CHRISZ
01-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know of any articles (independent) that have test driven these scopes as i can find none?? Or any pics taken through one?

PeterM
01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
The one that was on the floor at Sirius Optics (and has since been stolen) was not the double stack. What I will say after having quick look through a 60mm Lundt is that I didn't have to worry about finding that small "the sweet spot" like I did with my 40mm PST, seemed to be everywhere, a very nice view indeed.
PeterM

Merlin66
01-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I've seen a couple of owners comments on the UK forums. The build quality is reported as being quite solid, and the lack of "sweet spot" are the most common. Only seen one or two images from the 60mm; you must remember the weather has been terrible over here and the Sun's altitude is very low.
I'd have hoped there would have been some images on the US/ Oz boards by now??

lloydysun
28-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Gents, Mate i had a PST with an SM40 attached to it, the views were exellent, although you did notice the sweet spot,no big deal though. I have inquired about the Lunt (above) I went in to Cloudy Nights in America, and talked to "Steven Ramsden" he reckens that the 60 mm Lunt Double Stacked @ 0.5 angs, with B1200 Blocking Filter is the way to go, i have heard that this scope is supperb in all way's. I will certainly get it as soon as i can. My friend owns a Coronado 60mm at 0.7 angs, the views are exellent, prominances are exellent, however you can't really see Fillaments very well, that's because it is 0.7 and not 0.5 angs. apart from that this scope is made perfectly. Steven did enquire about the "Daystar Penta" @ 0.5 angs, he evidently had an enormous problem with this scope, and the people who made it, they didn't get back to him straight away, he had to wait god knows how long to get help and a reply.He said it was made well, but could not to any focus at all, and when they got around to change it, that one was big trouble as well, he was not impressed at all. with the scope and Daystar. If you go into Cloudy Nights you could see his comments on these scopes.:thumbsup: cyou....Lloyd Wright...

h0ughy
28-02-2009, 10:53 AM
mine arrived a few days ago see it here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=41378&highlight=lunt make your own mind up from the pictures;)

Merlin66
28-02-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure I personally agree with the comments.
Based on observing with PST ( with and without double stack SM40), the SM40 on an ED80, a SM60 on a ED80 and more recently a SolarMax SM60 ( single and double stacked).... I find the 0.7A bandwidth does a much better view of proms than the narrower 0.5A you get with the double stack. I also have a Lumicon Prom filter, which is 1.2A bandwidth and this again gives very good views of proms. Most of the problem is due to the Doppler shift effect of the gases fast eruption speed from the solar disk.
I have seen a webpage ( being translated from Greek) were some very interesting work has been done with a SM60 to measure and illustrate the various Ha shifts in the "fabric" of the Proms. I'll post details when available.
The surface detail and contrast is DEFINATELY improved with the 0.5A.
My 2c.

Merlin66
28-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Here's the link to the original webpage ( in Greek) You can run it through Google Translate.
http://astronomy.gr/main.cfm?module=article&id=1208&action=detail
The english version is a 1.4Mb Adobe file. I can email a copy to whose who ask.