PDA

View Full Version here: : Got me some Hyperions :D

NCRAW
23-01-2009, 12:40 PM
I thought I'll introduce my self to the world of astronomy in style, ok so they are not Ethos but everyone is raving about them so went and bought the 5mm and the 21mm Hyperions along with the Celestron Ultima 2X barlow.

Got them at a very very decent price.

All is left now is a good diagonal. Anyone can tell me if the GS diagonals are as good as the WO CF ones?

mark3d
23-01-2009, 02:42 PM
im really happy with our 17mm although i dont have much experience to compare it to others. they are apparently clones of the vixens so they should be pretty good :)

acropolite
23-01-2009, 07:09 PM
I compared my 13mm hyperion with a 13mm ethos (thanks Anna & John) the other night in my LX90, to my eyes there wasn't anything much in it except of course for the wider FOV of the Ethos.

I expect there would probably be noticeable differences in a faster scope though.

Gargoyle_Steve
23-01-2009, 11:25 PM
I currently own Hyperions in 36, 24, 17 & 13 mm, plus the Orion Stratus version of the 8mm, and I like them a lot!

Although they are big & heavy (only real down points), I find that they give good wide views and quite reasonable image quality in my 12" f5 dob.

The only other ep I really use is a recently purchased 12mm Pentax XF: it's smaller, lighter, does give a better view (although not 'hugely' better to my eye) but not as wide a field of view as the Hyperions; and a Burgess TMB 'Planetary' 6mm which gives superb closeups of the moon indeed!

byronpaul
24-01-2009, 12:28 AM
NCRAW,

you've done exactly what I've been thinking about doing.

May I ask where you got them?

BerrieK
24-01-2009, 09:21 AM
I bought a set at Andrews - 3.5mm, 5mm, 8mm, 13mm, 17mm and 21mm focal lengths.Well priced at $219 each or $1200 for the set of six (I couldnt resist the whole set!). I am not very experienced but am very happy with this purchase. Prior I had a few SW plossls and GSO super plossls. Even I could see a great improvement in image quality!

byronpaul
24-01-2009, 11:43 AM
What scope are you using them in?

How do you find them on the Moon and Planets vs Deep Sky?

allan gould
24-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Have a GSO 1/12 wave 2" diagonal - its better than the WO one by far.

NCRAW
27-01-2009, 12:51 PM
It was an eBay purchase at 99 USD each and got the two shipped USPS insured pririty for 35USD so very good deal IMHO fro an optics shop in the US. The deal went smooth and excellent customer service and i can chase my purchase via USPS website. I'll hold off on the full marks till i receive the items. The shop is called chesapeakoptics on eBay plus they got their own website also.

I will be using them with the Celestron Onyx and along with a Celestron Ultima Barlow.

Hi Allan. I heard the GS stuff are fantastic and they are the people behind the WO accessories. I was going for the WO CF 1/10 but i think ill go by ur recommendation and go with the GS 1/12 from Andrews Comm in Syd.

BerrieK
27-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Well, as I said I am not very experienced BUT...

I am using them in an f/5 SW600 Newtonian. On planets they are nice and crisp...under a nice still clear dark sky I can use the 3.5mm on jupiter and it remains crisp. I have noticed that at the periphery of the field there is a small amount of aberration, but that does not bother ME as compared to my old EP's the improvement overall is worth a bit of loss at the periphery. I have little to compare them to, ie. havent looked thru any other EP's but my own.

Likewise on the moon they give really crisp views, superb magnified views.

For deep sky, I wouldn't mind a wider field of view than that afforded by the hyperions, but as i said the crisp views compared to the SW EP's that came with the scope outweigh this. On a good night I can see greenish/bluish hues in M42 through the 13mm.

I think I can see a bit of comma, but that is probably more related to the fact that I am using a Newt, rather than being caused by the eyepieces.They Hyperions are quite bulky and heavy compare the plosyls.

When I first got them I had trouble as I tried to use them in a 2" focuser, I found that to focus I would need a focal extender. But with the expert guidence from those on this forum I was advised to forget that, use the 1.25" adapter.

Cheers, Kerrie:thumbsup:

NCRAW
03-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Yesterday I checked my mail box and behold!! a note from Aus Post saying I got a package waiting for me, with 5 minutes to spare, i dashed to my local post office and picked up my package (was either the EPs, the Scope or the Diagonal and red dot finder). Turned out to be the EPs. First thing i thought when i opened the box? wooo these things are chunky!!! but feel very solid and nicely finished. They were all nicely packaged in their bubble wrap, another wrap, carry puch and box. Only thing was the 21mm humidity control sack (with the crystals inside) was slightly torn and had a few crystals out but luckily non on the lenses as they were capped nicely. the 21mm had a very minor superficial scratch on the black surface but nothing that a polish and a hand buff cant take out and to be honest i dont care as im sure the body will see a few scratches as i start using them in the dark.
All in all, very happy with the purchase and dealing with the seller (http://www.chesapeakeoptics.com/). Great price and easy communication and answers all your questions.

He also recommended the TMB range of EPs and apparently for 50-55 dollars a piece, they are amazing value for money. Might try a couple of them also after I buy some rings for the Hyperions.

byronpaul
03-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Will be interested in your thoughts on the Hyperions once you get a chance to use them!!!

NCRAW
03-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Shall do as soon as i receive my scope and diagonal. They shouldnt be too far off now.

byronpaul
03-02-2009, 05:15 PM
What suburb of Melbourne are you in?

NCRAW
04-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Not too far from you. I'm in Bulleen next to Doncaster. I'm assuming you would have some nice dark skies nearby.

Robert9
25-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Just purchased a 5mm Hyperion yesterday. Got it at York for a very good price. When will the skies clear? Perhaps its all this new gear that's causing the sky problems.
Robert

byronpaul
28-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Let us know what you think once you get to use it .....

Robert9
01-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Only had one night to try it so far. Trouble was the skies were so smoky, it wasn't really worth setting up the scope. All I could see was smudge. Heading north to Canberra this week with the caravan (and scope) to see the Degas exhibition. Expecting to find some good dark skies on the way and hopefully clear skies too - (Surely that's not asking too much??). Will, with any luck, have something to report when I get back.
Robert