PDA

View Full Version here: : C9.25-CF XLT + EQ6 help!

Astroman
13-09-2005, 06:03 AM
HI all,

My wife has said I can purhase a new telescope after I buy a few things for the house (patio, lounge, cement) I have decided to invest in a Celestron C9.25-CF XLT and an EQ6 with skyscan. By the time I get it there will be an updated handpad to the synscan which hopefully will have a flash upgradable memory. Anyway what I need to know from those with Celestron OTA's is will the C9.25 go straight onto the EQ6 head without modification?

I also plan to get an Orion/Skywatcher/....... ED80 guidescope for it aswell, what would I need and how would I go about putting one onto a celestron OTA?

Help appreciated.

I am gathering prices to see how much I need now also.

iceman
13-09-2005, 06:08 AM
Wow that will be a great combo Andrew! The C9.25 is one of the best SCT's out there, and some of the planetary and deep space images taken through a C925 have been awesome.

Are you planning to get into photography with it?

Astroman
13-09-2005, 06:17 AM
Yep thats the idea Mike, Mainly short stuff from home because of light pollution but longer out in the field. I have always like Astrophotography, and I just need a scope that is built for the task, aswell as being in reach for the budget minded.

Astroman
13-09-2005, 06:23 AM
I also needed something that would fit in my car to take it away on trips. My 8" F7 is a bit too bulky.

Robby
13-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Hi Andrew,
Welcome to the C9.25 brigade... The fastest selling SCT on the planet :)
My C9.25 came with a rail for CG5 mount. was a tinny orange thing. Quite ugly really! Not sure if this will fit EQ6 though. I doubt it. I had a rail machined (full credit :)) for my G-11.
The scope itself is awesome. But make sure you get some Bobs knobs for it. Collimation is key. Mine needs a tweak every time is goes for a ride in the car.
Looking forward to your images from it.

cventer
13-09-2005, 12:41 PM
The C9.25 is a great instrument. You will love it.
Here is a pic showing what these can do. Its my 2nd light with the 9.25
http://www.asv.org.au/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=42&page=view&catid=4&PageNo=2&key=14&hit=1

A losmandy C9.25 dovetail rail will set you back $250. This is a great system for mounting guidescopes and camera etc.. for piggyback work.

You can order it from Advanced Telescope Supplies in Sydney.

Regards
Chris

Striker
13-09-2005, 01:15 PM
The C9.25 should have the same rail as the C11...in which case it will fit directly on the EQ6...but I dont recommend it as they have to much flex.

The CG5 and EQ6 are the same dovetail mount.

Here is a pic of the standard Dovetail and the modified version Jonathon made me..(thanks mate)

I would either go for like Robby said or make one yourself.

Jonathan
21-09-2005, 02:10 AM
Sorry I didn't see this earlier :doh: . I made a couple up a few months ago for my C11 to fit an EQ6 and for Strikers. Mine works fine and I guess Strikers does as well (haven't heard any complaints ;) ). I reckon they would be the same for a 9.25". Unfortunately I have changed jobs since doing them and aren't really in a position to make any in the immediate future, but if you want one definately PM me and I should be able to organise something. It'll be much cheaper than buying one off the shelf but not dirt cheap like the previous ones I made. From memory the aluminium was under $25 each and a few hours work to machine them.

Roger Davis
21-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Have an EQ5 (CG5) and an EQ6 here in front of me, they take the same plate.