PDA

View Full Version here: : 10" Dobsonian transport

niko
18-01-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm the proud owner of a 10" Dob, purcahsed late last night - thanks Paul!

Heading to dark skies tonight for a play!

What surprised me was the considerable weight difference between this and the 8" from earlier days. The 8" I kept in the box it came in and used the foam supports to carry in the ute between town and the dark skies.

So, my question is - what's the best way to transport the 10" given that I don't have the box. I looked at the Supercheap Auto tool boxes but these are either pretty flimsy or weigh 40kgs. Also, at 1300mm long I don't reckon they give sufficient room to safely lift it in and out.

Today I'll make some wooden cradles for it to sit in for now but wonder if anyone has a nifty solution to the transport of 10" and 12"s.

cheers,

niko

Dog Star
18-01-2009, 04:48 PM
G'day Niko and congratulations.:thumbsup:
Crackers asked a similar question on the Beginners Start Here sub-forum, How do I carry a dob, although his question, I think, related to moving it about as opposed to transporting it, which I think is what you are asking?
My answer there was that I used the original box and foam inserts that came with it, but that isn't an option for you as I read your post.
As I'm aware that my original box isn't going to last forever, I'm going to have a wooden box made up for it by a mate of mine who just happens to be a cabinet maker. My thinking is that a well made wooden box will be almost as strong as a metal one, but much cheaper and lighter.
I suppose that isn't much immediate help to you, but it might be food for thought in the near future.
Barring that, all I can suggest is a thick foam mattress and a few old blankets.
Sorry I couldn't be more help to you. Maybe someone else that has been in a similar predicament as you will have come up with a nifty idea.
Cheers mate.:thumbsup:

byronpaul
19-01-2009, 09:12 AM
niko,

you've reminded me :eyepop:, I have the base part of the box in my garage with the styrene supports!!!!!

If it's not too late, and you want it, you can have it. You can either pick it up, or I can drop it to you in Pascoe Vale.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Hope you've enjoyed the scope thus far as much as I did .... it was sad to see my little baby go ... :(

Let me know

Paul

erick
19-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Niko, I'm using one end of the styrofoam support that it came packed in which is put at the secondary mirror end and packs between the front of the trailer and that end - in case of crash stop! The person who had the scope had made up some semi-circular supports - styrofoam wrapped with duct tape they seem to be. I don't know where they came from - I suspect they were not original packing. One of those supports the rear - between the trunions and the mirrror cell. It all sits on a carpet in the trailer. The trailer bounces along. As long as I have tightened all potential loose screws - screw on finder dovetail bracker, the two screws on the focusser, the "collimation lock" screws tight on the primary mirror cell, the three tilt adjustment screws on the secondary - it travels well. Holds collimation well. The secondary mirror hasn't shifted (rotated) on me, either.