PDA

View Full Version here: : ALT/AZ Head for Skywatcher 150mm f5

VK2KR
13-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi

Would anybody know of a suitable alt/az head for a Skywatcher 150mm f5?

There does not seem to be anything on the market that will cope with the
8kg+ weight of the scope without taking out a mortgage. I have a pretty decent set of legs from old survey gear to use as a base.

The HEQ5PRO mount I have is not what you would consider usable for a grab & go use that I want to put the 150mm to.

Alternatively, is there any design (ply) that I can use to build one?

Thanks

Alex

Astrolabe
13-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Alex
I am not sure if your telescope is a refractor or reflector. I am using a 6" F5 reflector with the AltAz mount made by GSO and sold by Bintel, Andrews and other for about $250 - $300. I also use the same mount with a SW 120ST F5 refractor with very good results, although a Vixen Porta is adequate. The mount is very capable even at magn.up to 180-200. I hope that this helps

George (astrolabe)

bmitchell82
14-01-2009, 12:44 PM
depends on what your using it for, if its just purely visual, then yeah its not that much. But it depends on how much quality that you want you have a decent size mirror so yeah. oh by the way, the portability of these mounts is no different , only a little bit of weight.

VK2KR
14-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi

The scope is the f5 achro refractor, it gives satisfactory deep sky
viewing with high contrast. The colouring is a minor factor that
I can put up with. It is just that I would like to use it more frequently
out in the back yard with an alt/az mount. The existing mounts
at Andrews/Bintel are more suitable for the lighter ED80's etc rather
than this much bulkier/heavy scope.

Ah well, I guess that I will have to figure something out and get out the saw
and sandpaper.

regards

Alex

anj026
16-01-2009, 09:25 AM
If you can find a copy of Richard Berry's How to build a telescope (new from Bintel or possibly a copy you can borrow from your local astro club) there is a good description of an alt/az mount for a 6" f15 that could be adapted for a shorter scope.

Here is a link to a picture of one built by Jeff Morgan half way down the page http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/refractors/Number/2861878/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/3