PDA

View Full Version here: : Laser Mount

Orion
10-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi all.
For those interested here are a couple of photos of a laser mount that I have been working on.

[1ponders]
10-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Nice look'n little system there Ed. Hmmmm...wonder where I could fit one on my mount.

Care to put up a bit of detail on construction Ed?

Orion
11-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Actually Paul it was quite simple to make. I made it out of a steel pipe. Aluminium pipe was my first choice but cutting the aluminium to that shape with the plasma cutter was a bit of a hassle and the steel when taped holds the screws better than the aluminium would. Anyway the steel pipe weighs less than the laser and for my scope a bit of weight is no problem. The screws are stainless and I used a screw to turn the laser on and off.

I found the need for a laser when I take the telescope out to public nights and people ask where in the sky is the object that they looking at? So now all I have to do is turn the laser on.

seeker372011
11-09-2005, 09:11 AM
that's a clever design.

h0ughy
11-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Hey Ed, you've made a weapon of mass destruction. I can't wait to see you "shoot" M57, or Tuc 47 or M42......

elusiver
11-09-2005, 01:08 PM
top stuff orion! was looking into those laser pointers.. as i read they make top finders.. another project on my ever growing to do' list.

el :)

fringe_dweller
11-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Very tidy bit of work Ed! good grief there is a lot of very talented machinists/diy/engineering type ppl in this forum! but then again this Aus. of course :)
I saw a thing on a list once about how the batteries go flat quickly, and the laser gets hot if you have these type of lasers on for too long at a time as a finder(I have two green lasers myself - 5mw & Chrome Wicked 25mw) but there was available a different sort (it was a fatter body that had a switch that would stay on by itself - without having to hold the button in - and you could have bigger batteries in it ) and it was more suitable to use as a finder they said - i cant find the link tho now ;(
Kearn