PDA

View Full Version here: : Check this out!

asimov
09-09-2005, 04:41 PM
I was visiting the neighbours 2 nights ago, when he dragged some lens out for me to have a look at. He's had em' for years, & would not have a clue what their for.

Naturally I borrowed them off him to see if they would work in a telescope or not. One (not pictured) gives a weird view if U stick your eye to it...I reckon it's a panoramic lens for a camera or something.

The other one (in the pic) it says on the box 'projector lens' meaning just that I spose..a lens for an old over-head projector. On it is written: 'Kowa' super-prominar 16 1 : 1.3/50 made in japan. Obviously 50mm FL. The eyelens dia: 38mm. Looks like a big telescope EP...got a field stop in it as well.

The other night I tried it in the 12.5" newt. The barrel dia. is 43mm so it wouldn't fit in the focuser in anyway. I took the 1.25" adapter out of the 2" focuser & just held it up to the focuser While I had the scope pointed at the lagoon nebula.

The result was: I had to move back from the focuser a good 4 inches to get it to focus. The view was pretty damn good! Lovely wide field! I'm gonna see if he wants to sell it or something! If he does, I can get the engineering place to spin up an adapter on the lathe..:D

toetoe
09-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Good one John, looks like a thread on the lens. Get a barrel made up with a thread, a bit of lock tight and you'll be right. :thumbsup:

ving
09-09-2005, 04:55 PM
hehe sweet! :)
good on ya :)

asimov
09-09-2005, 04:57 PM
That's what I thought too at 1st Peter...But it's not actually a thread..It's circular grooves cut in with a lathe. No idea why.

netwolf
09-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Lucky asimov finding hidden treasure.
asimov where who is this engineering place, and are they a full workshop?

asimov
09-09-2005, 05:06 PM
I live in a small country town Wolfie, we have several engineering shops here, mainly for the farmers. The place where I go, I have friends that work there. Luckily they have a lathe as one of their pieces of equipment. If I go there at lunch time, they let me use the workshop & the equipment. They only let me cos' I'm experienced in this field, having worked in the engineering/welding field most of my life.

toetoe
09-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Got me thinking now :confused: would be good to now why the markings..

asimov
09-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Perhaps watever piece of equipment it came from, it was like a 'click-stop' focus mechanism instead of the standard rack & pinion..:confuse3: