PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion X-Y Guidestar finder

xelasnave
04-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I noticed an add by Bintel for this item.
It says that one does not have to move the guide scope but you can align the guide star with this unit.
Does anyone use one? How good is it?

if it works it is something that would be so much better than my current system.

alex

mick pinner
04-01-2009, 02:41 PM
still waiting for them to arrive Alex, l've had an order in for about 6 weeks now.

xelasnave
04-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks Mick I take it you feel they may be worth while.
alex

h0ughy
04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
i too am waiting for mine

mick pinner
04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
l'm sure they will Alex, apparently with the 2" adapter they give you quite a wide field to choose a guide star. being able to hold your guidescope with solid rings rather than guide rings must give you a bit more rigidity and less flexure.

xelasnave
04-01-2009, 05:46 PM
That is such good news... I have been wondering where to go gear wise and for the short term the guider will enable it to work...I use a 150 sn and a 80x400mm guide scope but would prefer to have the 150 ar along side..one could use either scope and have a rigid optical path ... mmm and a t flip thing on each... when the guiding finally works the 150ar would guide well one would think..Moon photos on other nights..you could not have the 150ar in rings on on a bracket and not have to worry about flex but this fixes that...I want one er maybe two ..dam I have to make a new list ... thanks everyone this makes my day...

alex

Doomsayer
04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I have one of these x-y stages on the end of a borg 76ed guidescope for an st402 guider. I am making two fixed Al-plate saddles to mount the borg on the side of my RC now. The x-y stage feels solid enough - it would not be hard to add a locking screw I think if needed. A standard 2"/t-thread barrel fits on the scope side of the X-y stage.
cheers
guy

allan gould
04-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I have had an X-Y shifter on my guidescope for the last 18 months - had it made for me overseas. It is the best system as you just need to clamp your rings down and the use the x-y shifter. No flex and its so easy. Best system there is as I've tried OAGs, guidescope rings etc but this is the most rigid and simple.
I wanted to try the orion and have had one on order since they were first advertised. Mine has locking screws for both axis.