PDA

View Full Version here: : control of a eq6

bmitchell82
29-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Okay i have to ask the question although i think i already know the answer. the Eq6 mount, can i control the mount via PC with something like starry night or the sky6 or is the synscan needed for this to happen? as i have the PC and programs to run something like this im weighing up if i have to buy the whole cahoona or just something that works.

Screwdriverone
30-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Hi Brendan,

Short Answer - Yep

Long Answer - Yep, you can.

You will need an RS232 DB9 port (old serial 9 pin style one - so you may need a USB to serial adapter if your pc hasnt got one) to connect the scope to the PC so that these programs can talk to the EQ6 pro (not sure of the EQ6 if there is such a thing)

Cheers

Chris

bmitchell82
30-12-2008, 12:31 AM
yeah thats what i thought i know that you can connect the eq6pro upto computers ive seen it done, i think you need the Gpusb i think its called to connect the autoguider, and then like you said a rs232 to usb to get to the computer.

I think ill go with the eq6pro, they have them over here in wa for 1500 still so ill pick one up tomorrow. the minister of war and finance approved the purchase so YAY hehehe.

Screwdriverone
30-12-2008, 12:41 AM
oh you lucky, lucky person

Grats mate, enjoy, they make a wicked sound, reminds me of the turret in the Bruce Willis movie "The Jackal" that does some serious hurt to Jack Black.

I always have a chuckle (and wet my pants a little) when I see a massive 127 ED refractor of Astrodood - Rob's swinging around towards me at the nights up in Leura at the WSAAG obs nights.

I attached a pic of the beast (removed now) I mean if you havent seen the movie. One with an invisible Bruce Willis, and one without invisoman.

Cheers and grats

Chris

edited by houghy - loose the swearing guys!!! - also the content of this post are questionable with the relation to firearms

Edited by Chris - Sorry Houghy, I did blank out most of the word and meant no offense as it was supposed to be a Monty Python quote...and with regards to the firearms bit, point taken on both counts. Apologies. Edited content accordingly?

bmitchell82
30-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Ahhh that was a awsome film, :D that gun was "FULLY SIIIIKKK MAAATEEE". I was a bit amazed when i was sitting there looking at i Houghy's eq6 thats for sale and said damm thats cheep, (been planting those seeds again) considering that the prices have jumped to nearly 2500. then i remembered that some people where saying that a mob over here had them for 1500... so i went and looked. so come 9am over here ill be doing the deed.! :D yay. I think she knows that im going to get it its just a matter of when :) hehehe

ozstockman
02-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Brendan,

check this thread (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=38775) for details on how to control EQ6 from PC wirelessly. Considering that a good USB to Serial adapter that works 100% can be expensive you can buy a serial to bluetooth adapter instead and do the same job wirelessly.

cheers,

Mike

bmitchell82
02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I looked at it but they wanted 200 bucks just for the connection. im not sure if its such a good deal, considering its a blue tooth dongle and instead of it out putting the pins to a usb, they put it to a serial. well thats what i found at least. If you could guide me to something more worth while

AlexN
03-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Brendan...

Get a Serial extension cable, a USB to serial adapter, and a EQDIR plug from Shoestring astronomy.

Plug line should look like this.
Laptop - USB->Serial - EQDIR plug - Serial Cable - Mount.

Download EQMOD software and a compatible planetarium program and you're up and running...

You'll then have no need for separate guide cables, as pulse guiding runs through the serial cable.. You'll have full control of the scope via the PC.. its very nice and works great...

Otherwise, your EQ6Pro should have come with a pale grey cable, serial at one end, RJ12 at the other. get a USB to serial adapter,
Laptop, USB-Serial, Pale grey lead - hand controller - mount.

This second option is good also, you can control the mount using either the Celestron Nexstar 5i/8i drivers, or, you can run EQMOD through this kind of connection, however EQMOD is known to have compatibility issues in this configuration....

I run the EQDIR plug from shoestring, Have not used the hand controller since getting it...

As for Mikes Wireless option... hehe... Wait till your mount looks like mine, then tell me you dont want to remove some of the cables for ONLY $200 :D