PDA

View Full Version here: : New Scope

jjjnettie
08-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Yay!! It arrived today. :D
I ordered my scope from Andrews on Friday, so delivery on Wednesay is very prompt. It was packed well, so of course nothing was damaged.
I chose the 10" GSO Dob. It came with the Crayford focuser; an 8x50 correct image right angle finder; a cooling fan; a 2" GSO SP26mm; 6.5mm,12.5mm, 10mm, 20mm plossls; 4 colour filters and a moon filter. I also bought a 2x barlow and a Baader UHC-S filter.
I spent about 1 hour fiddling around putting it all together. It was very easy, needing only a phillips head screwdriver.
I've had it out tonight, quickly looking at Jupiter, Venus and the Moon. After dinner I had a look at a few globulars, resolving them into grains of light. The Triffid and Lagoon just glowed! Tried the UHC filter on them, but they are so bright anyway, that I think I prefered them al la natural.
At the moment I'm waiting for Mars to rise above the trees so I can try out the colour filters.
Next step is a trolley to move her around the place. Cutting down a couple or six trees might be in order as well.
I'm absolutly rapt in this new scope. :cool:
Can you believe it, no clouds! I think that was because the scope was delivered to my mother-in-laws house instead of our place. I swear there were clouds over her place when we went to pick it up this afternoon. Fooled the rain gods, lol. :thumbsup:

ballaratdragons
08-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Congrats!

Now get back out there and enjoy your new toy!!!! then tell us about it after you've worn the sky out Lol!

h0ughy
08-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Way to go. i'll have a good look at it at the next qld astrofest!

asimov
08-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Congratulations on the new member of the family! I've been testing out that UHC filter as well. It does make the lagoon & triffid a slightly different shape because it extends the nebulosity seen. But yeah, in decent size apertures al la natural is great too. I'm also waiting on mars lol. ENJOY!

iceman
08-09-2005, 06:06 AM
Nice one Jeanette! You've made a great purchase.

rmcpb
08-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Maybe they are only cloud gods at present. We just seem to get the clouds these days and not the rain.

Congrats on the new toy, great choice.

Cheers

astro_south
08-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Good one Jeanette - watch the cobwebs grow on the 60mm now :D :thumbsup:

ving
08-09-2005, 10:43 AM
yup, as andrew said....
when i got my dob i said to myself that my 60mm wouldnt gather dust and i'd use it for quick sessions.... hasnt seen daylight for such a long time.

congrats!

jjjnettie
09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
I'll keep the little one, for the kids, or maybe it can be the sacrificial scope for next years Astrofest.
Andrew, I finally found NGC 5189! No way would I have found it with the little refractor. I didn't sketch it though, I was too busy looking for other stuff.

xrekcor
09-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Jeanette,

Great to hear you got your scope!! the skies will really open up for you now!!

The 60mm refractors make great kids scopes

Have fun, and enjoy :thumbsup:

regards

xrekcor
10-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey Jeanette,

A quick couple of Q's, I'm want to go for the 12" version sometime in the future and was wondering if you dont mind me asking. How much did they charge you for shipping? and how was it shipped?

regards,CS

jjjnettie
13-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Rob,
I was charged $70 delivery, delivered to within 100km of Brisbane. They use their local transport people, who delivered it to another company in Brisbane, who delivered it to me.
If you pay the money directly into their Westpac account, by going into a Westpac bank to pay it, they will send the scope off straight away. But if you transfer the money to their account from another bank, it may take an extra 3 days to clear the money and then send off the scope.
Jake will love the box it comes in, it is huge.
The polystyrene inserts that cradled the scope in the box, I mounted a couple of them onto a trolley to support the scope while moving it. I tie the scope down with an okki strap.
How soon do you think you will be able to make your order? It would make a lovely christmas present to you from Jake. Or would it be a belated Fathers day gift?

Jeanette

xrekcor
14-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Jeanette,

Thanks for your reply. $70 sounds pretty reasonable, to ship it up to you. Cheaper than I thought it would be. I wonder how much Bintel charge for there freight.

Actually I'm holding off until we see the new GSO 16" truss dob that is rumoured to be released :prey: . All I know is they are being made for an american company at present. Rumour has it and from a pretty good source I might add, GSO plans releasing them early next year in Australia :cool:

So how is the new scope going? I'm sure the views are way more impressive than the 60mm. Maybe you should get some more baadar film and turn the 60mm into a dedicated solar scope?

Regards, CS

netwolf
14-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Congrats on your dob.

Johnsonian Designs have recived some mirrors from Jim Sheng for use in there Goto dobs.
http://www.johnsonian.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page14.html

dhumpie
15-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Nice one Jeanette! Now you will really start to see stuff. But don't throw the 60mm refractor away just yet. It can be used a a dedicated solar scope as Rob mentioned or a quick look scope.

Darren

billche
15-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Good to hear you got your new toy. I order the C9.25 SGT form Andrew for almost 3 weeks but whenever I call them, they always say 2 more weeks 2 more weeks.

dhumpie
19-09-2005, 04:55 PM
They probably don't stock the Celestron's and have to get them from the states or something. That's why the wait!

Darren