PDA

View Full Version here: : binoviewers

lesbehrens
28-12-2008, 10:16 PM
hi i was wondering i any one had one. r they good to use? can u use them on Newtonian?
les

wavelandscott
29-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes and yes...

I have the Denkmeir (spelling) "Big Easy" package and have used it successfully with Reflectors, Refractors and a CAT. There is an optical corrector system (OCS) that makes these uses possible.

I enjoy particularly looking at "bright" objects like the moon and planets.

If you are interested in really faint fuzzies, mono-mode is better in my opinion. But some of the bright nebulas are okay too...just remember that the binoviewers will "split" the light coming in to your eye so there is somoe loss of brightness...however, there is some "make-up" from using both eyes but I've found it makes my scope preform like a slightly smaller one compared to mono. (I'm not saying this well but it is how I see it).

There is a difference in quality from low end to high end and you get what you pay for...isn't that always the truth.

If possible, try before you buy...

Cheers,

Miaplacidus
29-12-2008, 12:43 PM
I have the cheaper William Optics pair. I love them, they virtually live on my refractor and are great in bigger SCTs, but I can't get them to focus on my 8 inch Skywatcher dob, even with the OCS.

I was wondering about these new Skywatcher dobs, which are collapsible and have extendible poles; if you didn't extend the poles quite so far, then the binoviewers would come to focus (albeit, cutting off a bit of the light cone illuminating the secondary mirror I suppose). Collimation might be tricky, I guess, maybe impossible, what with the weight of the binoviewers and all. I think I asked about all this a while ago, and received a generally negative response, but I've forgotten precisely why people thought it wasn't a good idea. Anyway, if there is any way you can do it, the views are definitely great through a binoviewer.

Cheers,

Brian.

PCH
29-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Les,

I have the StellarVue pair from SDM and I think they are absolutely terrific :D

I love the virtual 3D view they give. They really do add a dimension that you just don't get with a monocular ep. But, as Scott said, they do clearly split the light and so the resulting view on already faint stuff can be a little disappointing. So medium bright to bright stuff only for best effect I'd say.

I was using mine only last night and the view of M42 with the supplied eps was breathtaking. Disappointly, and off-topic, I preferred the view without the OIII filter I'd just paid $150 for :mad2: Views of Jup, Saturn and the moon are stunning.

Final point, the SDM Stellarvue pair come with an extender and another thingie, which I can't remember the name of, to allow them to come to focus in dobs etc.

10/10 from me and one of my best purchases ever :thumbsup:

Cheers

lesbehrens
29-12-2008, 06:12 PM
thanks guys. i think i mite get a pair. it will prob help my parents see some fo the object i try to show them. lol.
les