PDA

View Full Version here: : Where to mount a Telrad ?

Starbug
22-12-2008, 08:48 PM
OK I've just purchased a Telrad for my 10" Equatorial mounted newt.

Now where do I mount it?

A- Do away with the finder scope, and mount it in it's place
B- Move the finder scope and mount it between the focuser and the finder
C- Mount it on the other side of the focuser for the Finder scope
D- Mount it on top of the rings where you would piggy back another scope
E- All of the above.

If practcaible I would like to retain both the Telrad and the finder scope as each has it's niche.

bmitchell82
23-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Im like you though i would mount it in a easily viewable position near the finderscope, so you can duck between them both.

Once again best thing to do is hook up with a club, and see what others have done. Telerads are quite common so you should have a bit of variety to view. :D

Starbug
23-12-2008, 08:09 PM
True.
I may just Gaffa tape it down, or use a magnet, and then move it around untill I find the "sweet spot" for it.

sarched the net and a popular option is to move the finderscope over by 1 hole and mount the telrad between the focuser and finfer scope.

bmitchell82
29-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I was at a club meeting on saturday and everybody seemed to have put their telerad right beside the finderscope. though im a bit sceptical, with a dob you have to tilt your head over quite a fair bit to look though the finderscope, i can imagine this would be great for giving yourself a neck ache if your going for the telerad which is even further over.

I think i might make a bracket that goes under the finderscope dovetail bracket and pops out either above or just to the side so i can see it. I guess my requirements are that the scope will be used for imaging so there will be a piggy back arrangement happening so it has to clear 80 ed or something similar!