PDA

View Full Version here: : Eq6 Gps

zumka
17-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi Guys,

What are the benefits of EQ6 GPS. If I have USB GPS mouse can it be utilised with EQ6?

Zuts
17-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi,

GPS on a scope is a real gimick. All it is giving you is the time and the lat and long and then saving you a few keystrokes to enter it once (a minute saving once maybe?). Obviously if you have a watch you can enter the time. If you always go to the same place then having once entered this into the EQ6 you dont have to enter it again.

Sure, I have a GPS phone so if i go to a new place i get a quick fix and then type this into the mount. You should be able to do this with your USB GPS. I wouldnt bother forking out the cash for such a limited use GPS.

Even if you didnt have a GPS you could google Earth your location or the location of the observing site and get the details that way.

Cheers
Paul

multiweb
17-12-2008, 06:13 PM
So true. My gemini also comes with an optional GPS plugin. I never understood why and never used it. Maybe not so long ago navmans, tomtoms and the like weren't that popular?

monoxide
17-12-2008, 06:29 PM
a gps mouse will work with EQMOD, 1 click for accurate time/position
if your not using EQMOD though its hardly worth using the gps.

wasyoungonce
18-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Nice post. :thumbsup: I didn't even know they existed!

I googled and found this comparison in Aust...might be worth my money considering many scope GPS's are around $200+:

http://home.exetel.com.au/gps/mouse/mouse.htm

TrevorW
18-12-2008, 04:15 PM
More gimmicks I want something that when you set the mount up it'll automatically align everything for me, now thats what I'd call innovation

:thumbsup:

toc
18-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Im sure It will happen - in fact I wouldnt be that shocked to see it on the next Meade...that is if they manage to survive their current financial 'issues' .