PDA

View Full Version here: : What makes TMB So Special?

NCRAW
17-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi All,

Being new here and to the telescope busniess, I'm wondering what is so special about the TMB Apos that makes them that much more expensive than even say the best of the best, the Takahashi, the Astrophysics and Televue. Apparently even the Stellarvue ABV still comes close to the legendry Tak in the 4" size so what's the big deal about the TMBs.

Thanks

Ian Robinson
18-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Might be the quality of the optical work and the build quality.

My recallection is that all of them are fully tested and certified and they use only the best quality glass.

Would I buy one , probably not , not really a refractoholic (and a 4" APO is a tad small) , I'd rather spend the same money on a bigger fast newtonian (a 14-16" f4 say).

TrevorW
18-12-2008, 04:23 PM
The original founder of TMB has died so how long they maintain that legendary status will be questionable

NCRAW
18-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Apparently his brother has taken over and also on their website it mentions that the late founder had some new designs which they will release. Cheaper designs? who knows.

AlexN
18-12-2008, 05:48 PM
As was mentioned... TMB use only the best optical elements, the scopes are built to stringent quality assurance specifications. The scopes are all tested and collimated before sale, they come with a data sheet outlining the quality of the glass, the flatness of field, collimation etc...

These are not your usual mass produced refractor....

Ian is always so soon to pipe up in any thread about refractors stating "I'd go with a bigger fast newtonian" If I had the choice, and I do love aperture.. But I'd be going with a 3.5"~5" TMB APO over anything for imaging... Even if I had a mount capable of imaging with a 20" F/4 Newtonian, I'd still prefer a TMB....

Alex

netwolf
18-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Its the same thing that makes AP, TEC and Tak special. There are people who love them and swear by one brand or the other. With AP the limited number made and the wait time make them more sought after.
This essay by Thomas is a good read
http://tmboptical.com/itemsGrid.asp?cat_id=28
and a more complete version
http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/tmb/tmb1.html

Roland, Thomas and Yuri have made some excellent scopes that have been proven performers. They do differ in there philosophy of design. But the also have a great admiration and respect for each others work. This perhaps is the most special thing, and I think the Essay by Thomas speaks volumes about this respect. I have had the pleasure to see through my friends AP and let me tell you that its awesome, textbook perfect pinpoint stars on a very black background with not even a hint of color. Now another friend has the new GT AP and I cant wait to look through it.

These scopes are desired by many and that makes them special. I would love to own any hand crafted scope from these three masters. But i think i will be saving a long time before i can afford one.

Also look at the images posted by forum member Dietmar. He uses two TMB telescopes one is a folded 8". I think his images might ilusstrate more as to why these scopes have a special status.

Also consider these by Roland. http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/roland/

Regards
Fahim

Kal
19-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't think that they are more expensive than the best of the best. If you have a look at astronomics website (one of only two dealers of tmboptical telescopes) you will see that the sell the scopes at very competative prices (all prices listed in US dollars):

TMB130 F7 3.5" feathertouch - $3,999.00
Astro-Physics 130EDFGT 2.7" feathertouch - $5675
Takahashi TOA130S 2.7" focuser - $5369