PDA

View Full Version here: : My planetary imaging and deep space imaging equipment

iceman
17-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi guys

I've done a couple of new posts and a new page to detail the equipment I use for both planetary imaging and deep space imaging.

Check it out here:

http://www.mikesalway.com.au/equipment

Nothing I haven't posted here already before, just trying to put it all together on the one page for my site.

multiweb
17-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Pretty cool gear. Do you use the 12" exclusively for planetary imaging or have you tried to do DSO imaging as well with it. Been looking at a bigger scope and I'm just wondering what overs do and what result they get when tracking with imaging at long focal length. I realise you're not affected when using your DMK because of the frame rate but should you choose to use your 350D on the 12" how well would that go. Have you tried?

iceman
17-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey Marc
I only use the 12" for planetary imaging. I *could* use it for deep-space imaging with my 350D, but I'd have to move the mirror up the tube otherwise it won't come to focus.

Guys like Paul Mayo (PhotonCollector (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/member.php?u=488)) and Clive (Alchemy (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/member.php?u=2999)) have used 12" GSO Newt's for deep space imaging with their DSLR's, but they've had to move the mirror up the tube to do so.

Some of their work is brilliant. But they're also on G-11's. By the time I tacked on a guide scope to my 12", the EQ6 would be well and truly struggling :)

One day I'd probably look at getting an 8" f/4 as a deep-space imaging newt, and use it with my 350D.

multiweb
17-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the quick feedback mate. Yeah I saw what clive and paul are doing. It's bloody amazing. :eyepop: Got to figure out my tracking.

toc
17-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info - great web site.

Do you use some sort of flip mirror assist in getting the planet on the CCD or just swap the eyepiece? I always find that I am hunting around trying to get the planet on the chip.

iceman
19-12-2008, 05:14 AM
Hi Tim
Thanks for the feedback.

No, I don't use a flip-mirror. It is always a bit of a hassle getting the planet in the CCD, but with the routine I use now it's pretty predictable so the hassle is lessened.

Firstly, I use the eyepiece, focus the planet, and put the planet in the centre of the eyepiece.
Then I swap to the 5x powermate with the filterwheel + DMK. With all that extra weight, I know that it moves the scope a bit, always in the same direction (makes the planet go up).

Also, with the focus point still at the eyepiece focus, the planet is way out of focus for the CCD - which is good. Because being out of focus it creates a bit blob which can be seen when the planet is just outside the field of view.

So yeh, the combination of those things makes it predictable where the planet will be, and I just sort of lift the scope back to where it was with the eyepiece until I see the out of focus blob and then use the hand controller to slowly move the planet until it's in the field of view when I let go of the scope.

Then I focus for the CCD.

Hope that helps.