PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion Delux Barlow

zumka
16-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi Guys,

Orion Deluxe Barlow are not possible to find in Aus. Can someone please recommend an alternative brand.
Bintel are selling TV barlow at $135 is good ? or would you recommend alternative.

Thanks

JethroB76
16-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Have you tried Sirius Optics?
http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/barlowe_pieces.htm

bmitchell82
16-12-2008, 02:00 PM
If your handy with the saw Dan, you can make your own collminator, because anything under the 100 dollar mark you will have to collminate it anyhow. The only difference between making your own and buying one for 100 bucks is the size and the money.

I built my own collminator (search the threds for Laser Collminator and find the one that has me as the author) and it works a treat all up costed me about $16. The only thing that i have done to it since then is put a piece of foil over the opening for the laser beam as to make it a tight dot as the china specials don't always have a nice neat dot.!

If you have any other problems just pm me and ill help you on that one

Dave47tuc
16-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Bintel,
sell the Orion shorty plus barlow 2x at $139. I just purchased one;)
There just as good as a TV barlow.
Hope that helps.:thumbsup:

zumka
16-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Out of stock

zumka
16-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I think we are talking about different thingth in here

:)

zumka
16-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I gues one million dollar question here if it's as good as Orion Delux.

bmitchell82
16-12-2008, 02:32 PM
AHHHAAAA. :D ooops maby i should read it a little bit more carefully...

Dave47tuc
16-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm sure they are all as good as each other.
If this helps there made in Japan:whistle:

JethroB76
16-12-2008, 07:58 PM
If you're determined to get one, they come up S/H on Astromart fairly frequently, or you could import as many have done from one of the friendly US dealers.

You used to be able to import one new and still come out well in front of the local price, now it'd probably be equivalent..

janoskiss
17-12-2008, 02:06 PM
The deluxe has internal baffling which in my exp results in better contrast, i.e., less reflections and stray light compared with TV, shorty-plus or any other barlow i've tried. (I guess this is especially true if your scope’s baffling is less than ideal to begin with as all of mine are.) It is also a longer barlow than most which makes it better at producing flat and aberration free field. If you use it with cheap widefield EPs on a fast telescope, the improvement you get in edge of field performance is remarkable compared with other barlows. On the other hand, this also means that the deluxe needs a lot of focuser outward travel and so it may not reach focus with some telescopes with limited focus travel (eg some refractors,. Cassegrains with fixed mirrors fitted with external focuser).