PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ5 for Binoculars?

mellotron
15-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I have recently had a baby so I don't have too much free time to justify buying a telescope right now, but I am enjoying using my Orion 20x80 binoculars when I get a chance. I am dire need of a mount as it is impossible to hold them steady and my camera tripod is way too wobbly.

I am considering buying an EQ5 as when I have more free time I will be able to buy a good telescope and already have a decent mount ready and waiting.

Would this be a good idea, and is it possible to mount the binoculars on a telescope mount?

Thanks,
Stu

Ian Robinson
15-12-2008, 07:55 PM
You'd have to be a contortionist and an acrabat .... the eyepieces will wind up in some very strange angles.

Maybe a secondhand Celestron or Meade one-armed Fork may work though , one of those goto types with tracking capability, field rotation wont be a problem with viewing via binos.

dugnsuz
15-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Although a tad expensive ($479 complete) - this parallelogram mount sold by Bintel might be your best option, unless you're handy enough to construct one yourself. The Bintel model certainly looks pretty sturdy - they sent me some more detailed shots a while back when I enquired about one and it looked like it could handle 20x80s no problem.
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Images/Stock/6624X.jpg
It's in the binoculars section surprisingly!!:P

Don't go for an EQ5, like Ian says you'll break something!:lol:
Doug:thumbsup:

ps...congrats on the Bub!!!

chris lewis
15-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi - it is difficult to mount a bino on a EQ mount.
Multiple reasons why - the angle would place your neck and body in very difficult possitions, mounting it to the tripod is difficult, EQ mounts are disigned for slow movements of the sky etc. Binos are not sold with EQ mounts. Sorry.

mellotron
15-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for your advice. It looks like I will just have to buy a good scope along with the EQ5.. What a terrible shame! ;)

JethroB76
15-12-2008, 11:28 PM
:lol: you sound shattered