PDA

View Full Version here: : ~ Eye Piece One of Two ~ Comments, Recommendations? ~

Arc
09-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased my first scope, a 10" Newt.

Over the last month I have been having fun, slowly getting ready for it my first outing.

I constructed a nice little rechargeable 12volt power unit and I just today finished turning up an aluminium adaptor ring to allow a new focuser to bolt directly to the base plate of the old focuser.

I will probably take to the sky in the next week with the Celestron 20mm EP that came with the scope, but I would like to purchase something with a little more power for the planets.

After a LOT of searching and much 'paralysis by analysis', I've been pounded into submission by the same message, "go for quality and not quantity" and also "you don't have to buy them all now".

I'm quite determined at this stage to stick to purchasing two quality EP's and a X2 Barlow. Most likely the EP's would be a 10mm and a 30mm.

I plan to start with the planets and work my way out from there so to that end I'm looking at buying a single eyepiece, a 10mm Pentax XW.

Now I know from searching that people are happy with the Pentax XW, but I'll ask anyway...does this seem like a plan?

Comments, questions and criticism welcome.

Paddy
09-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Sounds a good plan to me. Assuming your focal length is 1250 mm, you would have mags of 40, 80,125 and 250 by the time you have both eps and a 2x Barlow. Should do you nicely and you will really enjoy good quality eps.

Arc
09-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks Paddy, the focal length is 1200mm. I did alot of reading one this one and it seems that the general path (the one that I intend to avoid) is that people buy EP's and later buy more EP's and more expensive EP's etc.

If figure if I set out now to purchase only two quality eyepieces, one Pentax 10mm XW now and a 30mm later, I will be better off in the long run.

Most people seem to think they're excellent. I'd like to see for myself but there are no regular parties here.

wavelandscott
09-12-2008, 09:23 PM
I think you are on the right path! A few high quality eyepieces I believe will serve you better in the long run than a heap of cheap ones...

On any given night viewing, I normally only use 2 or 3 eyepieces...maybe that is just me but I think there is merit in your plan.

If you have not been to the Televue website to read the articles there on eyepiece selection you should...I find it a good reference for selection criteria and considerations.

I have 2 Pentax XW eyepieces ( 7 and 10 mm) and a number of Televue eyepeices and both have their strong points/advantages...

The 10 mm Pentax XW is a good eyepiece no doubt...but there are some other fine pieces of glass out there too.

If you have not had a chance to get out under the stars with other folks and try before you buy, I'd strongly encourage you to do that. The preference of one top end occular over another can sometimes be a bit subjective...you might find a particular characteristic more appealing than some others which might influence your ultimate decision.

Good Luck!

Arc
09-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks Scott - I'll check it out. One thing that attracted me to the Pentax was the round figures. It almost seems to me that the companies make the EP's in odd numbers that make it more difficult to get good value out of a barlow. Like 8mm and 13mm which puts you over and under your max power.

ausastronomer
09-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi,

I own several Pentax XW's, several Naglers and a 13mm Ethos. The 10mm and 30mm Pentax XW's are two of the absolute best eyepieces money can buy. In addition, they are both ideally suited for use in your 10"/F4.7 newt. The 30mm is perfect as a low power widefield eyepiece and the 10mm is perfect as a medium power eyepiece. Barlowed in a 2X barlow they also give useful focal lengths of 15mm and 5mm.

I think you are definately on the right track and the only additional advice I can offer is:-

1) You will also need a 6mm to 7mm eyepiece for lunar/planetary work which will give 170X to 200X in your scope. There will be some nights where seeing will not allow you to use the 10mm XW barlowed for 240X. I would recommend the 6mm University Optics HD ortho or the 6mm Burgess/TMB Planetary. These aren't quite Pentax XW's, although the 6mm UO HD ortho offers excellent optical performance over its narrow FOV. In addition I think you need to consider a 2" Barlow only, as this can be used with both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces. If you can afford it at $469, the 2" 2X Televue Powermate is ideally suited for use with your Pentax XW's, as it preserves their eye relief at 20mm. IMO you shouldn't consider any of the cheaper barlows as you will lose "something" with them. Any optical system is only as good as its weakest link. It is pointless buying superb eyepieces like Pentax XW's (or Naglers or several others) and then jamming them down the throat of a questionable barlow. "I know" the Pentax XW's work beautifully with the Televue Powermates. I have both and use them often.

Cheers,
John B

Arc
10-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks for that John B. I'll take a look over those.

Arc
12-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Well guys wish me luck...

I just sent payment for what I believe is the last Pentax 10mm XW in the country.:xmas:

wavelandscott
12-12-2008, 06:25 PM
The new equipment explains the rain...congratulations and welceom to the club.

I hope that you enjoy the new eyepeice when it clears as the Pentax 10 mm XW is fine eyepiece.

erick
14-12-2008, 09:59 AM
I doubt any luck is needed. It will work just fine! :thumbsup: