PDA

View Full Version here: : Importing from US

Geoff45
07-12-2008, 06:57 PM
I was thinking about buying one of the QSI cameras (http://www.qsimaging.com/500series-overview.html)from the US. As far as I know there is no local Oz dealer, so I would have to import. There seems to be no customs duty on cameras, but there is the good old 10% GST, which I suppose one has to live with. However, there seems to be lots of red tape to get these things through customs. Is there anyone who has been down this road able to offer advice on procedures to smooth things over?
Geoff

Blue Skies
07-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Depends how it is sent. If it comes UPS then they might deal with all the customs stuff in house then just charge you with the final bill, so be prepared for the extra cost - you've already noted the GST, but there will be around another $100 in fees, I would guess. At a pinch just get the yellow pages and find a customs agent - might cost a bit more again but saves you a lot of trouble. Its been a while since I imported anything that expensive so I'm not sure what's the go at the moment. I'm sure others will pitch in soon with further comments.

Ian Robinson
07-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Ask them to send it by USPS airparcel post - it could very easily slip through customs here and you will escape the GST .

Geoff45
07-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a good plan. One of the things I was hoping to find out is can you leave all the paperwork and payments till it arrives, or is there a penalty for not arranging this beforehand?

PCH
07-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I spoke with customs prior to arranging for something over a grand to be importd, and they explained they are happy to raise the necessary paperwork, - but they will charge for that service, and of course the gst is on top of the cost of goods, freight, AND their charges :P

Cheers

Kal
08-12-2008, 12:09 AM
I've been nabbed by customs before, was a rather painless experience to pay the duty/GST/charge and retrieve my product. I've also has several items slip through.

Ian Robinson
08-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Why would there be a penalty ? it could be a present from overseas relatives that you personally know nothing about until it shows up at the local post office and you get a little card telling you there is a parcel to collect.

I've never been charged GST or import duties on stuff I have imported by parcel post. If the person at the desk doesn't ask me for these , I wont ask about it.

I'm on very friemdly terms with the guy at the local postal agency , that helps too .