PDA

View Full Version here: : Blue tube Skywatcher Scopes ?

Shawn
05-12-2008, 07:10 PM
What are they like , You maybe aware its a huge downgrade for me, but Its all I can really justify at the moment.. thinking in terms of a 150 , by 700 I think they are, certainly in my price bracket... :(

AlexN
05-12-2008, 07:33 PM
OUCH... after the 14" SCT, a 6" is going to be painful Shawn...

If I still had my 6" Achro that I had a few months back I'd donate it to you in this, your time of need...

On to the skywatchers... they are 150x750... Theres 2 blue 150x750's one is a achromatic air spaced doublet refractor, the other is a newtonian.

Which are you looking at? and what will its primary purpose be at this point?

Alex.

Shawn
05-12-2008, 07:55 PM
The refractor Alex, I have an EQ6 here, doing nothing... But I read that the CA in these scopes is bordering on intollerable, I want two scopes, aa newt and a refractor, thinking Small refractor large newt, or vise versa.. decisions.. Oh imaging, eyesight not good for visual.

AlexN
05-12-2008, 08:09 PM
A newtonian will be a better option in the lower price brackets for imaging. Because these cheaper, fast achros are notorious for bad/horrible CA.

The Skywatcher 6" F/8 Achromat isn't too bad... (I had a Saxon version of the same) although, we're talking about a LONG scope.. from the tip of the dew shield to the back of a camera, when focused, you're looking at about 1.4~1.5m..

For the price, you're better off looking to a 8~10" newtonian. and a 80mm F/5 achro for guiding... Refractors are a more simple scope to use day in, day out, they require no collimation, little to no cool down, where as the newtonian will require you at least check the collimation on every use, adjusting as necessary... But if you want to take images, even a cheap newtonian will most likely out perform a "Good" fast/medium Achro refractor.

Shawn
05-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the input Alex. I think Ill opt for both, I think these EQ6,s are capable enough if your careful with balance, something Im well practiced at with the 14er...:D. So the CA on the 150 F8 is not as bad as one reads, I realise this is a personal thing,:shrug:

AlexN
05-12-2008, 08:50 PM
its not unbearable, and definitely not impossible to edit out...

what will you be using for imaging camera wise? If you'll be using something like a mono CCD (anything from a DSI to a STL) if you chose to image narrowband, CA is not so much of a problem.... With a DSLR, the 152 F/8 produces halo's

I have no doubt the EQ6 is capable, I've hung my C11, Megrez 102 APO, and about 6~7kgs of other odds and ends, cables, dew shields, focuser on the C11, cameras etc etc etc.. and still managed pretty good 5 minute subs... (focus was more of a problem than tracking errors)

Shawn
05-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah thats another thing Alex, my budget extends as far as a 1000D...So i see lots of purple fringe killer PS actions in my future...:lol:

AlexN
05-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Processing actions help!! That, or a Fringe killer filter, or minus violet filter will help with CA. I think you could image nicely with a 6" F/8 or F/10 Achro, however I think for less money, an 8" F/5 ~ F/6 newt will prove a better investment in this case...

Maybe speak to GaryH, I think he might be selling his home made 6" F/5.3 newt, which he's used to take Many Many very nice images...

Best of luck mate, I can only hope whatever you get puts a smile on your face...

Shawn
05-12-2008, 10:15 PM
thanks Alex...