PDA

View Full Version here: : Powering more than one device from Jumpstarter

DJDD
28-11-2008, 01:17 PM
hi all,

ok, next question... :lol:

Is it possible to power more than one item using a jumpstarter?
what sort of adapter would be needed for that?

I have never seen a cigarette lighter double adapter/ "powerboard".

details:
- I have a 24Ah jumpstarter, which powers my EQ6Pro.
- I am getting either the eeePC 701 or 901 for guiding and powering the Meade DSI. The eePC 901 should easily power the DSI for several hours on battery (not sure about the eeePC 701).

But, let's say I would like to power more than the mount from the jumpstarter? for instance
power the mount + power the eeePC + power another device

I would be interested in knowing about other members' setups.

thanks in advance,
DJDD

rogerg
28-11-2008, 01:50 PM
You can get multi-adapters for cigarette lighter plug socket style. I have bought mine from K-Mart and DSE I think. They're very useful!

The thing you have to watch out for is treating your "jumpstarter" nicely with respect to battery usage. SLA batteries don't like to be drained to empty or near, and if you bought one of the cheap jumpstarter type products there's a good chance it's got a cheap SLA in it so will be more susceptible to being overloaded with too much power drain.

:thumbsup:

Roger.

Ian Robinson
28-11-2008, 01:53 PM
My Jumpstarter has 2 cigarette lighter style sockets and also socket for ofter DC devices.

I can power 3 devices at once.

DJDD
28-11-2008, 02:06 PM
thanks, roger.

never seen the multi-adapters you mention. hmmm..i must be blind...
i have a jumpstarter from supercheap auto so would be a cheap one ($139). thanks for the tip on the power drain.

DJDD
28-11-2008, 02:07 PM
but mine is a cheapy so only has one socket. :P
thanks, Ian. when this unit dies i can look for a better quality unit with extra sockets.

White Rabbit
29-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I have a four way 12v adapter. You plug one end into the jumpstarter and the other end has four 12v inputs.

I got mine from Supercheap Auto's. Works a treat.

Ian Robinson
29-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Mine is a PROJECTA Jumpstarter and it's a beauty .... had it for 9 years.

This is my next one - :thumbsup:http://www.projecta.com.au/catalogue/cid/27/asset_id/155

DJDD
29-11-2008, 07:19 PM
thanks, Ian and White Rabbit.

i will check out Supercheap Auto for the adapter. :thumbsup:
Ian, I suspect my new jumpstarter should last a while before i upgrade. :)

cheers.

TrevorW
29-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Are you using the mount away from home if not buy a long extension cord a powerboard and a couple of AC/DC regulated power supplies to power your mount camera etc and then the only time you'll have a power problem is if it fails. I paid for a Powerpack and I've only used it it once so far.

DJDD
29-11-2008, 10:28 PM
i thought about that but decided i just could not face more powerboards and extensions leads around the house! :lol:

anyway, since i can use it if i get a flat battery whilst out bushwalking i justified the purchase to myself...:)

now just waiting for clear skies to take it outside! :(

bmitchell82
01-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Okay heres my 2 bobs worth.!

after doing electrical systems and planning a project to generate power to recharge 12V batterys some definitions

eg "I have a 12V 28Ahr battery"

A-hr is a engineers made up unit. defined as Amps drawn per hour. you can run as much as you want off your battery pack, it just comes down to it wont last long. On each of your devices it will specify how much Voltage and Current is needed Add up all your devices and how much Current/amps are drawn per hour and bobs your auntie you will know how long it will take to drain your battery!

Also as for batterys it is regarded as a safe zone as not to discharge your battery further than 80% of total capacity after this you will rapidly start loosing capacity when recharged. This is why when your battery goes flat due to lights soon after it packs it in!

As for you Epcee if im not mistaken unless you can get a 12v charger modual you will have to get a inverter to take it from 12V DC - ~240V @ 50hz AC , inverters = low battery extremely fast.

Your EQ6 mount will more than likely be drawing a DC voltage to start with at low current hence why it will last a reasonable time on a jump starter battery.

If you need any formulas to figure it out let me know and ill scoot back though some of my work to help you out.

Brendan

DJDD
01-12-2008, 01:19 PM
thanks, brendan, for the clarification on 'Amp Hour'. That will come in handy. As well, the safe limit on battery levels.

Now that I have an eeePC 901 my power worries are almost over. It lasts for ages and i guess i can charge it up from my car if out for more than a night.

cheers,
DJDD

bmitchell82
01-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Glad to help. :)

AlexN
01-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I can run my EQ6 off my 12v 17ah jump starter for about 8~9 hours, or the EQ6 with 2 dew heaters running (near full power) for about 3.5 / 4 hours. Obviously you wouldnt run dew heaters at full power for imaging, I was just doing a test of what it was capable of.

I've since bought a 240v AC 12v power unit for the dew heaters, and can run the mount from dusk till dawn off the battery without problems..

I have plans to buy a 12v 80AH battery, and run my eeepc/mount/dew heaters/(hopefully) QHY8 all off the battery, and have a totally self sufficient setup...

bmitchell82
01-12-2008, 03:39 PM
like i said its all got to do with how much amperage/current is drawn though each device, just like you can have a .8 amp 12VDC fluro that provides a bucket load of light run off a 60ah battery for a very long time.!

Happy hunting!