PDA

View Full Version here: : Comments about cameras

gregbradley
25-11-2008, 07:23 PM
I thought I would continue the theme on cameras I have had.

I have/had the following astro cameras:

1. Nikon D70 modified by myself with clear glass.
2. Canon 20D modified by myself with UV/IR filter.
3. SBig ST2000 with KAI2001 chip.
4. SBig STL11000CM class 1 one shot colour camera
5. SBig STL11000M class 2 mono camera.
6. Apogee U16M camera.
7. SBig ST402ME guide camera
8. Starfish cooled guide camera (also planetary camera).
9. FLI Microline 8300 camera.

1. Nikon D70.

Nice intro. Sensitive, nice colour, great supplied software, amp noise a bit harsh over 90 seconds, ISO only to 1600, noise reduction handy, no true RAW files (smoothing applied by firmware), 6mp.A bit noisy.

Overall I liked it and used it for quite a while. Nice cheap and workable infrared remote too.

2. Canon 20D.

A quantum leap over the Nikon. Really low noise, no amp glow, very sensitive, 8mp, ISO to 3200, lousy supplied software. Worked well in Images Plus.

3. SBig ST2000:

Very noisy, at first it was confusing and put me off from using it for a while. I got to understand it and it is quite a leap in understanding from a DSLR. Tended to frost too easily and had to bake the desiccant too often - annoying. Colour LRGB images are a bit duanting at first and difficult to get good colour. CCDstack made life a lot easier as the supplied CCDops is ancient history software and not user friendly. CCDsoft is also pretty pathetic for image processing but good for controlling the camera and capturing images.

If I used one of these again I'd get Astrodon filters as that would also make it a lot easier to use.

Once I got the hang of it though my images leapt up in quality and I still have a couple from that period that I think are among my best.

Pros: more flexible and sensitive than a DSLR and the internal self guiding is fantastic.

Cons: A lot more work to understand all that new complexity but worth the effort. More work than using a DSLR and more expensive and needs CCDstack and Astrodon filters to be used easily and well.

4. STL11000CM class one one shot colour:

Oooh, an STL, looovvellyy (lovely). beautiful to look at all selfcontained wonderful. A marvellous camera.
easy to use, no problems with filters (dust, refocusing every filter, harder to autoguide through, every shot counts whereas mono you need
LRGB to make a decent image and clouds etc can thwart you more easily).

I loved it and that huge chip and terrific colour with the filter wheel inside, the self guiding inside - so compact and neat.

Downside - noisy in dim areas of images. Dim objects showed a lot of colour noise. Less flexible when doing narrowband.
Also annoying lines in images from a noisy hot pixel that would often show through in images despite darks and flats and a class 1 chip.

5. STL11000M mono with Astrodon filters. Astrodons made life a lot easier with colour imaging. The mono is less noisy and more sensitive but not as much as often reported. Fantastic camera, loved it. Sbig shows its age now with the camera not having an internal buffer so the driver is in the computer not the camera. So if you fails in its connection (oops a fairly common event!) then the annoying problem of having to power down and repower to get it to reboot. Also no on/off switch but then none of these cameras except DSLRs have an on/off swtich.

Cooling is superb and fast and accurate and better than the 40C below ambient.
9 out of 10 for this baby.

6. Apogee U16M:

Huge chip, more sophisticated than an STL, way less noise (practically don't need darks but flats more important as the chip is so huge), massive FOV,
way more sensitive than the STL11 (40%??), no glass cover slip on the chip so increased sensitivity and less dispersal/reflections on bright stars.
CCD chamber filled with Argon so no frosting or baking the desiccant - SBig are you taking note? Baking desiccant plugs in your oven - are they serious?? Faster download times.

Internal buffer so camera stays operating if disconnected from the computer, slow cooldown time is the main drawback - 45 minutes to go from say 15C to -20C. Also doesn't do 40 below ambient more like 37 below, my STL did 43 below. Also takes a while to settle down to being on a selected temp. Apogee is working on a software option for a more rapid cooldown. It really means you start the camera first before you do other setup and you do it early. Not handy if you are in a hurry or arrived at a dark site late.

Nice looking, no internal self guiding like almost every other camera besides SBig which is a huge plus for SBig. Requires an separate filter wheel which is a another USB cable and power lead. Doesn't come with a case. Supplied software obviously produced by an employee trying to wreck the company it is that pathetic. Fabulous customer service.

Also only current camera with this chip with a reflection baffle for the camera which significantly reduces reflections from filters and the inevitable flattener requried to handle such a huge chip. Supplied free of charge after purchase which was nice.

The camera is competively priced at about US$3,500 cheaper than its main rival the FLI Proline, also several pounds lighter. The Apogee filter wheel is the best on the market and incredibly well engineered. Far superior to the very good FLI filter wheel. The Proline seems stable now although when I was making a choice it had a number of unresolved issues.

Its been around now for a couple of years and it is taking large bites out of SBig's market share which they won't get back probably. SBig has fallen behind as FLI has had its Proline out for something like a year and a half now.

I love this camera and all the people on the Apogee site love it too. Only complaint I have heard about it is the slow cooldown which annoys a lot of owners. They forgive it because it is so good in every other way.

Chose filters carefully for these new large chip cameras. Astrodons?? I don't think so. Even the new Gen 11 filters can cause serious reflection problems as I have seen images sent to me from a dissatisfied owner. Perhaps that was with a particular scope and is an isolated situation. Buyer beware rules in this boutique market so I am usually suspicious.

I use Astrodon Narrowband with it and these are great. I use Baader and Astronomik and I think I like the Astronomiks the best. But despite what I said about the Astrodon's I think I will get some at some point as Astrodon's are really the bee's knees for accurate colour combine.

9 out of 10 for this baby and it will be my workhorse for some time to come. A distinct step up from the STL but I suspect the SBig STX will be a very enticing camera with its improved cooling and improved selfguiding once its comes out next year.

These cameras are big bucks territory so they require considerable care in deciding the pros and cons.

Apogee Vs SBig

Apogee U16Mpros:
internal buffer and stays operating if disconnected from computer
faster downloads,
no cover slip
lifetime guarantee on the CCD chamber
argon gas in chamber
frost free and no baking of desiccant plugs (what a crude solution that is)
good looking
"lightweight" (its still heavy)
huge FOV
very very sensitive
extremely low noise (-10 is way cleaner than an STL 11 at -35)
currently cheapest 16803 chipped astrocamera
reliable proven and stable Alta camera base that is free of bugs
anti reflection baffle
has ghost image solution fitted
low noise electronics

Cooldown time excessive (45 minutes) and if you lose power it warms up and takes 45 minutes again to reach target
temps of -20 or -25C) a more rapid cooldown software fix is planned but there yet.
Requires a separate filter wheel and large expensive filters.
no case
software poor
no supplied operating software.

Sbig STL pros;

Self guiding self guiding self guiding (what a brilliant invention)
nice looking STL
fully contained
excellent cooling
light
proven camera with some of the absolute best images around done on them
noisy but easily handled needs to run cooler (ideal at -35C)
50mm round filters are cheaper
only holds 5 filters (where do you put your narrowbands?)
lots of accessories available
comes with supplied software and good manual
supplied installation software actually works out of the box without a million Yahoo Group questions being asked although not on Vista boo hoo.
comes with a great case.

cons:

completely relies on the computer if the connection fails ( happens more often than you would think) you need to power down and power up again - very annoying and you lose your cooling (not good at 3am!)
slowish downloads
starting to show its age now, its noisy, less sensitive, less FOV. Its slightly dated but a fantastic camera. No longer cutting edge.

9. SBig ST402ME as a guide camera
Pros:
Fabulous as a guide camera, near instant cooling, good sensitivity, good FOV a beauty.

Cons:

The shutter makes a relaly annoying clicking sound as it hits a pin before it operates. Click click click ( I use 1 second guide exposures - get the idea? nice serene rural dark site - noone around for mile, perfect dark skies, gorgeous stars - click click click!!).
I put a bit of tape on that pin and it stopped it for a while but its started up again although not as loud.
A bit heavy and large as a guide camera but useable.
Screw in power plug is a bit cheap and nasty and a slightly unreliable connection (refer to above to what happens if you lose power!!)

10. Starfish cooled guide and planetary camera:
1.3mp CMOS chip. Sensitive, super fast downloads (it has an internal buffer), will guide as fast as .26 second exposure times although a slight lag because its 1.3mp. USB 2 only which is a drag if you try to use it on an older computer (it won't work). Mine would freeze sometimes unexpectedly. I believe this was fixed with a later driver but it wouldn't load into a Vista computer. It does on XP.
Electronic shutter so no noise. It looks great too with a lovely red anodised curved lightweight body. Less noisy than its same chipped popular competitor the Qhy or Orion.

11. FLI Microline 8300:

Only just got it, looks good, cooling 55C below ambient (thats amazing), solidly and well built, compact, fast downloads.
I couldn't get it to work with the supplied software on a Vista computer but that means nothing as none of them have!! (thanks Microsoft!).
Next dark site trip with good skies I'll use this one.

Well that is my experience with cameras so far.

Greg.

KenGee
27-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Greg thanks for that it's Apogees all round then. You change your gear like the rest of us change cloths what on earth do you do for a living.
BTW you can stop the ST402 from using it's shutter, I'll just try and remember how......

Ian Robinson
27-11-2008, 04:34 AM
I'd hazard a guess , a paying job , no kids , no mortgage .... and a very understanding better half.:D

netwolf
28-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Greg, I would really like to know the secret to your collection. This is another great review. I dont think i could even sit and rationalize the cost of spending so much on equipment for a hobby.

bmitchell82
01-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I can vouch for the SBIG 402me, it is a alright cam, but the problem is that i have to use it for actual picture taking... it is "alright" but yeah. The sensitivity is great though, picking up decent galaxy's at 10 - 20 second exposures. yay.

Vince G
01-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Greg,

The ST402me doesn't use its shutter during imaging or guidingunless you're
doing colour.
The chance of it happening is because you have R G or B colour set
in the camera setup. That being the case, the shutter has to change its position.

Vincent

gregbradley
01-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Really?

Oh thanks for the tip I'll check that out.

I used it last night and it didn't make any noise. Weird.

Best,

Greg.

gregbradley
01-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi,

I was probably being a bit harsh on it - you know how it is when a piece of gear misbehaves. I posted the question a couple of times about the clicking sound and got no responses which is unusual. I have seen some incredible images from a guy using a 237 chip so it could easily do some great images.

By the way I got to use the FLI Microline 8300 last night. Awesome machine. Virtually noise free, cools down super fast. I got it to -40C dead accurate all night within less than 1 degree C and it took all of 4 minutes or so to get there.

15.8mb image takes about 1 second to download.

It is quiet.

It is light and compact and looks robust.

I can see this 8300 chip being very popular as more cameras come out featuring it. There is an Apogee Alta 8300 which is $1000 cheaper and would be much the same.

Greg.

RayOfLight
02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Greg,

Do u know what is the current prevalent wait times like for a Microline?

Thanks in advance!

bmitchell82
03-12-2008, 12:32 PM
hey fellas,

although i do have access to the uni's astro gear, im planning my way into having my own gear. I know that mono CCD's are the best way to go in regards to sensitivity, though for a start i would love to go take a photo of DSO's with a Class 1 one shot to learn the craft first before taking on a whole new demon.

Now what would you guys suggest in the way of a good quality colour CCD/DSLR in the range of 1000-1200. I am saving atm for the either the EQ5 or EQ6 goto mounts with something like a WO or Tak 80 90mm ish. This will be only for this setup, as my long term goals is to put a big 12" + SCT or Newt onto a Vixen/Losmandy mount (a fair few years from now).

For the whole system im looking to spend around $5000 but would like to draw on peoples experience Pro's and Con's and experience before i move ahead.

gregbradley
03-12-2008, 08:44 PM
I only got mine about 3 weeks ago. I placed the order approximately 3 months ago. So I guess that means around 3 months. I was told 1 month but my experience with FLI is that they have always taken about 2 to 3 times longer to deliver than what they say. I guess they don't want to lose a sale by saying it will take 3 months!

Email Gregory Terrance at FLI as perhaps conditions change and they are getting more stock.

I found Apogee also took a long time and SBig for that matter. If something is actually in stock from a dealer then that is another story although I think most of these companies place an order when it is received rather than holding stock.

We are a boutique market and not a mass market so expecting some company to hold a big stock is probably unrealistic. I imagine if any company could do that it would be the biggest which is SBIG.

Greg.

gregbradley
03-12-2008, 08:54 PM
A lot of guys here are using QHY8's. That is a one shot colour 6.3mp Sony\
Chipped Chinese made camera I believe.

There are plenty of good images around. They are priced around AUD$1500 I believe but not 100% sure.

Tak makes the 90mm Sky 90 but no 80mm scope.

There are many scopes these days in the 80 to 102mm aperture range which seems to be highly competitive.

Skywatcher, Astrotech, Orion, Stellarvue, Williams Optics do battle for that sector of the market.

They kind of separate out into Williams Optics and Stellarvue being the upper middle band of scope makers. Orion and Astrotech in the next band down and Skywatcher and other Orion scopes the next band - I think that is a close assessment although others may disagree. Its a rough workout.

2nd hand Tak gear is a possibility although more expensive.
An FS102 these days goes for about US$1200, a Sky 90 perhaps US$1000, an FS60C for about US$700. These are the next level up from the above brands.

To get above those Tak models you'd have to look at the current Tak triplet range or TMB/APM or AP (not really available except 2nd hand at massive prices). TEC's smallest is 140mm though.

For what you mention you'd be better off with a 102mm Orion or 100mm ED Orion or Astrotech. I have an Astrotech 66mmED I use as a guide scope and it was "cheap" at US$225. It is impressively well made and whilst a few minor probs (focuser has a bit of slip etc) it is amazing value for money so if Astrotech 102mm model is anything similar it would be hot. Orion EON is from the same Pern Long Taiwanese manufacturer so it would seem. So is William Optics. Stellarvue is a bit more expensive but I think they include a high quality diagonal and case and rings something to consider when buying as the add-ons really can add to the cost. A new Tak for example comes with virtually nothing except the scope - you need rings, finder scope to acutally use it!

Greg.