PDA

View Full Version here: : ZenithStar 80mm

mick pinner
02-09-2005, 05:50 PM
l ordered a W.O ZenithStar 80mm on Wed from Advanced Telescope Supplies and l must say that Peter Ward was a delight to deal with, only to happy to discuss any equipment questioned that l had, when the scope turned up today it was packed in a foam lined carry case with provisions for both 1.25 and 2' ep's.
The build quality of the scope was more than obvious when removed from the case, the deep black paintwork is flawless and the gold anodising makes a pleasant change from the grey wrinkle finish found on a lot of other scopes.
The scope came as a package with a 2" dielectric and 1.25 VR filter, the crayford focuser is as usual ultra smooth with a tension adjuster, it also has a retractable dew shield that when in position stays put regardless of the angle of the scope.
Another feature l like is the focuser can be rotated 360 degrees without removing the diagonal.
Both the focuser and 1.25 adapter along with the diagonal use brass compression rings to secure the ep's.
l will not have a chance to view through the scope for a day or so but if the build quality is anything to go by, the optics should also be first rate.
Details 80mm F/6 FL 480mm
Limiting Magnitude 11.3

[1ponders]
02-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Sexy looking scope that Mick. :whistle: Woo woooo :whistle: Did the carry case come as part of the deal? :P Not, I'll bet. :) I'd be interested in your feelings about the guiderings They look very similar to the ones I sent back a couple of weeks ago, different colour of course :) (or are they ones you've made up yourself).

asimov
02-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Nice purchase Mick. Congrats! Hope the optics perform as good as it looks...looking forward to a quick first-light review on it.

mick pinner
02-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Paul,the carry case did come with the scope as part of the package, the guide rings are standard tube rings, l just buy them oversize and then drill and thread them myself so l can make sure the bolts and threads match perfectly, l also use nylon bolts so they don't mark the tube, the colour was matched to suit the scope.

Dave47tuc
02-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Nice one Mick :thumbsup:

I tested one of these a few months ago. Very nice build :thumbsup:
Incredable for the price. Super smooth focuser, but it did not like big EP's with barlow.(no not the UO barlow) It was really nice with a 12 mm Nagler in her :D
As a low power wide field scope i give it a 10/10. As a medium range Planetary scope 7/10. But it did not like high power. :D

A very nice scope over all. I wonder what the 105 version is like :shrug:

Enjoy your viewing. :astron:

[1ponders]
02-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Sweet package deal. Good idea in drilling and tapping yourself. The last set of guide rings I had were atrocious as far as usability of the adjusting screws. That's why I then went for the Losmandys :love: :love2: :face:

dugnsuz
02-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Hi,
Love to read a mini-review once you've had some nights under the stars and planets.
One question for the forum...
Is this the same scope as the new Orion 80mm Rich Field Refractor as advertised (minus price) on the Bintel site?
It looks nowhere near as nice as the WO scope though and the first thing you would go for would be a decent diagonal which is included with the Zenithstar.
ATS and Frontier optics are recommending the Zenithstar over the Megrez II SD for quality and colour correction.
The package looks sweet like the man said!!
Cheers

Doug

[1ponders]
02-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Which Orion Doug? The 80ED or the ShortTube 80?

Whoops. Found it. Nice looking scope. Looks very similar doesn't it. Didn't see a price though?

h0ughy
02-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Mick i am happy for your purchase, it looks great! those tube rings look good too mate, I might need some shortly!

Rodstar
02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
That scope had an excellent write up in a recent edition of Australian Sky & Telescope. Great purchase. I was thinking of getting one as a finder scope to attach to my LX200. Williams Optics stuff looks very solid (and pretty). :thumbsup:

dugnsuz
02-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Hi again,
this might clear up the Orion / WO same scope debacle!!

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/512559/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Cheers

Doug

janoskiss
03-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Mick, does this mean that there will be another Orion ED 80 for sale soon?

mick pinner
03-09-2005, 02:31 PM
l know this will anger the rain gods but l fitted the new scope to the 12" LX 200, because of the shorter focal length than the Orion ED 80 l was using and also moving the mounting points back slightly the new scope has helped balance the Meade by bringing more more weight behind the fork arms. l had a quick look at a few terrestial objects with a 30mm 2" ep and the field of view is huge with the crayford snapping into focus perfectly, if only the clouds would leave.

mick pinner
03-09-2005, 02:36 PM
photos of the new set-up

Starkler
03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
How does it compare to the Orion optically Mick ?

mick pinner
03-09-2005, 03:09 PM
l haven't had a chance to do any sky viewing yet, maybe tonight but by the look of things l doubt it, as l mentioned before the build quality of this scope is superb so l would expect that a company that goes to this much trouble with appearance would not skimp on optical performance, the views through the Orion were great especially when you consider a price of around $650.00, the value of the ZenithStar with the dielectric diagonal and filter l think was even better, l am looking for a scope that l will eventually use for autoguiding and with the short focal length of the ZenithStar it will probably not be this one but when you look at the quality of it l doubt l would ever sell it, as a grab and go scope it will work fine.