PDA

View Full Version here: : New EQ6 Pro- what next?

DJDD
19-11-2008, 03:29 PM
hello,

Since I will take possession of a new EQ6 Pro/ED80 this week (?) and the weather will be terrible in Melbourne I thought I woudl get everything ready to go for the next good night.

My setup will be:
- SkyWatcher EQ6 Pro
- SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
- Orion Short Tube 80 Guidescope (mounted on top or side-by-side)
- Meade DSI as guide camera
- Nikon D80 for imaging

As I have only read posts on IIS I am not sure of exactly what is needed to connect and get running.

I have a few questions that members may be able to answer.

1. SYNSCAN-
Should I upgrade the Synscan firmware immediately to 3.23?

2. SYNSCAN-
Do I need to go through each previous version of Synscan firmware first?

3. GUIDING-
buy a small laptop and install PHD Guiding and get the whole kit talking to each other

4. DSLR FOCUS-
Get DSLR Focus, that works in a limited way with Nikon
Or get ImagePlus that also works with Nikon in a limited way. More costly, though

5. DSS-
install/update Deep Sky Stacker on my other PC
(or go for IRIS? or ImagePlus (see Point 4 about focus assistance)

6. Cables-
I cannot remember what I have with the Meade DSI but assume it is a serial connection. Should be ok with an older laptop, although could get USB/Serial adapters.

7. T-adapter, etc.

8. Anything else I might need before the weekend?

very excited...:D

thanks for any replies.

DJDD

TrevorW
19-11-2008, 04:44 PM
1. yes
2. No
3. yes
4. get rid of the Nikon buy a Canon
5. yes
6. yes
7. yes
8. don't expect miracles and have fun

;)

Zuts
19-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi,

(1) The Meade DSI is USB not serial.

(2) One thing you should definately get is a shutter release so you can go more than 30 second exposures.

(3) How are you planning on guiding. Yes, the meade DSI will work with PhD via a USB cable but how will you talk to the mount. You need an ST4 interface which is best supplied by Shoestring, i.e GPUSB.

Cheers
Paul

DJDD
19-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks, paul. You gave me heaps of info a while ago and I finally got around to buying equipment!

1. USB? good. have not looked at the DSI since I bought it from someone here ages ago.

2. yep, have a shutter release cable.

3. ah. don't have one of those... I thought it might be a simple matter of a CAT5 cable or serial cable.

Do you know where can I pick up one of the GPUSB interfaces in Melbourne? or is there another option?

I cannot face delays!?!:lol:

:lol:

Thanks for the reply, Trevor.
Looks like I have most things covered, except for talking to the mount...

looking forward to it!

cheers,
DJDD

DJDD
19-11-2008, 05:39 PM
hey, it was you, Paul, from whom I bought the DSI!
:rofl:

Merlin66
19-11-2008, 06:05 PM
You can get a Shoestring adaptor shipped directly from them in a day or so. Doug will, I'm sure be able to sort it out, and the connecting cables.
Drop him an email.

Zuts
19-11-2008, 06:08 PM
:)

I just sold my GPUSB. I dont think they can be purchased from anyone except Shoestring. You could put a wanted add in IIS specifying Melbourne then if someone has one you could go and pick it up.

Cheers
Paul

DJDD
19-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks, Merlin66 and Zuts.

Would the:
"RS232 cable for connecting GOTO telescopes to a PC"
from York Optical

http://yorkoptical.com.au/ProductMenus/TeleAccessories/tabid/49/CategoryID/296/List/1/Level/a/productid/140/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost%2cP roductName

do the trick in place of the GPUSB?

cheers,
DJDD

Zuts
19-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I dont beleive so. I think this is just to flash the firmware. PhD requires the GPUSB.

Cheers
Paul

DJDD
19-11-2008, 07:20 PM
thanks, Paul.
pity no one sells them in Australia (i.e. a dealer).
especially since it seems (almost) essential if you do not have something like the Orion StarShoot autoguider.

cheers,
DJDD

madwayne
19-11-2008, 09:29 PM
DJDD

Have you tried Bintel? I was in there about 6 or 8 weeks ago (Sydney shop) and they had some of the Shoestring gear in stock. I use EQDIR (from Shoestring) and a serial USB adaptor to get my EQ6 to communicate with my laptop.

Good luck with it all.

Wayne

PS - Paul (zuts) great to see you back on IIS mate. I hope all is well for you after your ill health and you are making a speedy recovery.

DJDD
19-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I will call Bintel in Melbourne (and Sydney) tomorrow.
I need to go and pick up the orion ST 80, anyway.

thanks for the tip, madwayne.

Zuts
19-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks Wayne

I am feeling better these days and am planning on being back at work early next year. I havnt taken a picture for months and am looking forward to getting one when this weather clears.

Cheers
Paul

Ian Robinson
19-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Clear still skies , or a few nice bottles of wine if those clouds stay put.

DJDD
25-11-2008, 04:06 PM
All the bits arrived today. EQ6Pro Mount, tripod and ED80 telescope. :)
I had forgotten how heavy the EQ6Pro is! :eyepop:

Now i have to find Nikon Capture.
I think it came with the D80 but I am not sure.
Would anyone out there with a D80 know if it comes supplied with the camera or not? if not, where I can get it? :shrug:

cheers,
DJDD