PDA

View Full Version here: : astrophotography newbie with gear advice questions

troypiggo
10-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Been researching and reading a little on astrophotography gear and options. Just trying to narrow things down a little so I know how many $1000s I need to save to buy it.
:eyepop:

My current plan is to get a motorised (GEM) mount now, probably with "goto", and mount my camera with both wide angle (10-22mm) lens and telephoto zoom (100-400mm) lens. That should do me for a little while, and I'll save then for a wide-field telescope (not sure if that's the correct term). Then that'll do me for a little longer while I save for a bigger scope for planetary/Solar(?) shots.

The mounts I've been looking at are the EQ5 and EQ6 ones, the "wide" scope I've been recommended is something like an ED80, and the bigger scope for planets etc is a little vague to me at the moment but I've been recommended to steer away from a Newtonian and get a Schmidt-Cassegrain or Matsukov. I'm not that worried about the specific bigger telescope at the moment, just want to be in the right ballpark so the mount I get can possibly take it, if that makes sense.

I understand the EQ5 would comfortably do the camera with lenses and the ED80, but not sure about the bigger scopes and whether I'd need to go up to the EQ6 or even something bigger. I don't want to go too small at the moment, but by the same token I don't want to go too excessive.

Here is where you will ask me "What's your budget?", and I'll say "As cheap as possible" :)
Seriously, I guess the above mounts and scope mentioned give you a rough idea of what I'm expecting. Motorised goto mount I've seen in the order of $1000 for EQ5 and $1900 for EQ6. ED80 scope I'm sure I've seen for $800. I have no idea on the bigger scope down the track.

Can I have your thoughts?
Are there other GEM mounts that are equal in performance but cheaper that you'd recommend?
What about the wide scope?
And what about the bigger one for planets etc?

JohnG
11-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi

If you are planning to get into astrophotography, you really need to think...

MOUNT

MOUNT

MOUNT

Spend as much as you can afford on a decent mount, by that I mean nothing less than an EQ-6 and if you can afford it, a Losmandy G-11 or better.

The better the mount you can afford the better your astrophotography experience will be, a decent mount will take the frustrations out of the equation.

You really only need to start off with something like an ED80 or similar to build up your experience, bare in mind that you just don't plonk a scope on a mount and take photos, other than short widefield. You will need to look at guiding if you wish to seriously get into deep sky.

All the best with your choice.

Cheers

John G

troypiggo
11-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't understand. Are you saying MOUNT is important? :lol:
Just kidding.

I (think I) fully understand what you're getting at, and that's why I mentioned those mounts in my OP. I guess what I was getting at is there must be some point, for the gear you intend to put on the mount, that anything bigger is a waste and the gear is just right. I'm just trying to establish if that point is the EQ5 or the EQ6.

To date I have done all my research online. Today at lunchtime I dropped into a store to see these mounts first-hand. They had an HEQ5, EQ6, and a Celestron CG5. The guys in the store told me that the EQ5 or CG5 would be more than enough for camera and ED80.

Thanks for your thoughts, John.

Terry B
11-11-2008, 04:31 PM
This is true but when you decide that you want to guide as well and image through the scope than the bigger mount is an advantage. The EQ6 is beefier and not much more expensive.
I had a GP (good quality vixen ) mount but did find the need for something bigger. The EQ6 fits the bill.

troypiggo
11-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks Terry. When you say "guide", you mean using the skyscan, goto or whatever it is tracking computer? The mounts I mentioned in store had those. But the EQ6 skyscan was some $500 more than the CG5 skyscan. That $500 difference is half way to savings for the ED80.

Happy to spend that extra money if it's needed. But is it needed, or just recommended? That's what I'm trying to pin down.

I'm not trying to ignore you guys' recommendations, although it must sound like it. Sorry. I must say you all have me leaning towards the EQ6, but it just means I'll only be mounting my bare camera with lenses only for another few months before I can afford the ED80 to go on.

I must also say that having seen the EQ6 in store, it's going to look ridiculous with my SLR and 10-22 lens on it with no scope. :)

JohnG
11-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi

Guiding means autoguiding using a separate small CCD camera and guidescope. It is something that you will need to consider if you intend doing long exposure shots.

Whilst at this stage you may think a lone camera sitting atop an EQ-6 may look a little odd, think into the future a bit, you have made mention of some fairly heavy scopes, how do you intend mounting them, some tiny little mount will not cut it, sorry.

You will need to take stock of what your intended loads may be, do some research and find out what each item weighs and add them together to get a total weight, you may be surprised, take into account the weight of the various plates, rings guide rings, camera etc. For astrophotography, the 2/3rds rule gives you a good indication. The weight of all you gear should not exceed 2/3rds the carrying capacity of your mount.

Once again, I would say, nothing less than an EQ-6, irrespective of what your dealer says.

Cheers

John G

troypiggo
11-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Ok, thanks again John.

troypiggo
11-11-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't know if I'm going blind or stupid or what (probably both). I've been searching the Celestron and Sky Watcher websites to try to find how much carrying capacity the CG5, EQ5, HEQ5 and EQ6 mounts have. Can't find anything anywhere. I would have thought that if it's an important part of mount selection it'd be right there on the list of specs.

Then I'm looking at websites to find how much an ED80 weighs, and also looking into a 9.25" SC telescope (I'm told it's great for astroimaging planets etc) and can't find the weights of them either.

Anyone know where to find these specs?

g__day
11-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I posted a guide to goto mounts some time ago, covering tracking, weight capacity, pointing accuracy etc...

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8135

troypiggo
12-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Excellent. Thankyou very much, Matthew.

JohnG
12-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi

I just weighed my SW ED80 Pro fitted with extension tube, Q-Guider CCD guide camera and guidescope rings for you, it comes in a tad under 5Kgs.

Cheers

John G

AlexN
13-11-2008, 09:40 PM
A side note...

You will not be able to balance an EQ6 with just a camera + lens mounted on it... I tried many times... the EQ6 weights are 5kgs, unless your camera+lens weighs 5kgs you'll need custom weights... (i tried with a 300mm F/2.8 + 2x teleconverter + 350D (all up 4.4kgs) and with 1 counter weight, the whole way up the counter weight shaft, it would not achieve balance..

If you intend to move to a bigger scope in the future, think now about how big you might want to go.. I didnt do this when I bought my EQ6, and was VERY lucky. when I bought my 11" cassegrain, I realized how big it actually was compared to pics on the net, and i found that my mount will just hold it with guide scope, cameras etc etc etc..

The one thing you will not want to do in a hurry is buy a new mount because your first one is not up to scratch.

I would aim for the EQ6 if your intended future scope is above 8" aperture. If you're looking at 8" in the future, a HEQ5 will do (however i'd still recommend the EQ6, because theres always the scope after the 8" to consider)

EQ6 is a great system for small to medium~large scopes. Much more than 10~11" you start to stretch its abilities, and run the risk of damaging the mount..

Theres lots to think about I think, the best thing you can do is ask plenty of questions on here.. Theres no shame in asking something you think may be a silly question..

Someone once said, "the only stupid question is the question not asked."

Happy gear hunting!

troypiggo
13-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks again for the advice guys. I've had a bit of a re-think, and am currently finalising a deal on a second hand HEQ5 PRO with ED80 and guiding gear. If/when I upgrade the scope, I might look at getting the appropriate mount then and have 2 full setups so my wife can join the fun :)