PDA

View Full Version here: : What's my best option ???

maddownunder
06-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I've got about $1,500- 1,600 to spend. Going on my VERY limited knowlege I've kind of got my choice down to a Meade 12" truss Dob or a Bintel 12" Dob. The Bintel Dob. will leave me with a bit more cash to splash on extras, but is the Meade worth the extra $$$ and mabey having to wait a bit to buy some more extras. What's the better option ?????

erick
06-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Do you need to transport it to where you want to view? The 12" tube unit (the Bintel) is big. Many cars won't fit it in along with the base. A truss unit comes apart into smaller pieces than a 12" solid tube. Are you talking about a Meade Lightbridge?

Dave47tuc
07-11-2008, 08:21 AM
I would recommend this scope/
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-329

Have a read here.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=37201

IMO better than either one your looking at.:)

maddownunder
07-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't have to transport the scope anywhere, other than in and out the house. I did have a look at the Skywatcher scope before, but I live in Melbourne(ish) and the only website I'd seen it on was the York Optical site. But on there it's listed at $1954 and that's with a $300 discount !! So I have e-mailed them with a "What The?" Ideally I wanted to buy in Melbourne cause I was bit unsure of buying interstate. Hopefully York Optical can help me out a bit.
So do you think the Skywatcher Flexi is worth getting from Interstate if need be ?

Dave47tuc
07-11-2008, 07:45 PM
I would not buy form them as there price is way to high.
I rang them for a price and nearly fell of my chair with what was quoted:scared:
I got mine from Steve at My Astro Shop and it was deliverd to my work in Frankston. The scope was fine, some slight box damage but the scope and mount was perfect.

I was a bit lucky as I got a price before the price rise due to the dollar fall.
But it will be worth shopping around, my 3 best prices came from interstate.

Pm me if you want more details. There a good scope for the price.
The last 2 nights i had at Jupiter would blow away any Apo half its size worth thousands more in price.

Best of luck buying your new scope.:thumbsup:

maddownunder
07-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Cheers Dave !!

bobson
07-11-2008, 08:48 PM
I bought my 12" Deluxe Dob from Bintel for $799 + postage, and I am very happy with it.

If you will not move it around like you said than this is the best for you. The reason for that is: you will not have to collimate it every time you take it out.

However, if you plan to take it out to dark skys, than transporting it can be a problem. But I think that it should fit on the back seat in Ford Falcon :)

For the rest of the money you could buy nice eyepiece :)

cheers

maddownunder
07-11-2008, 10:28 PM
So I guess my next question is, If for 99% of the time I'm only gonna be moving the scope from the house out to the back yard. Between the Bintel, Skywatcher Flexi and the Meade Lightbridge, are the optics all much of a muchness? Or is one of them still better than the other two?

Starkler
07-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Good question and I dont think anyone has been able to answer the question if one is consistently better than the others. All are mass produced and have variable quality. FWIW, the Bintel dob and the lightbridge use optics from the same factory.