PDA

View Full Version here: : What price

Baron von Richthofen
23-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi All
I am selling all my gear, all new and I need help, what price should I put for the various item
Here is the list
Meade ETX-90EC With standard accessories (New old stock)
Meade ETX-90 Aluminum Hard Carry Case
Meade #497 Autostar
Meade #1244 ETX90/105 Electric Focuser
Meade #825 8x25mm Right Angle View Finder
Meade #673 Dewshield for ETX-90
Meade #884 Deluxe Field Tripod
Meade #889 Advanced Field Tripod adaptor
Meade 20mm Series 4000 Eyepiece
Meade DSI & Autostar Suite (Used but in new condition)
Celestron Neximage with focal reducer (Used but in new condition)
Vars

Starkler
23-10-2008, 06:25 PM
What I normally think is that a new or as-new condition item should be worth 75-80% of new price (most likely old new price before the currency dived) if keen buyers exist. Any higher and its not worth the risk of buying 2nd hand and losing warranty.

Such a price should be ok to attract buyers who were already wanting that particular item and looking to save a few bucks.

Unfortunately I have found IIS'ers to be a very tough crowd to sell to and many items wont sell unless you create demand by setting a "bargain" price.
Good luck!

Baron von Richthofen
23-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Your last coment is very true

GeoffW1
23-10-2008, 08:35 PM
[quote=Starkler;374649]What I normally think is that a new or as-new condition item should be worth 75-80% of new price

Unfortunately I have found IIS'ers to be a very tough crowd to sell to and many items wont sell unless you create demand by setting a "bargain" price. [quote]

Hi,

This is an interesting point worth pondering I believe. What is the difference between new and used here on IIS? Is it 75% - 80%? :screwy:

- obviously seller warranty. If selling used, sellers here may or may not offer returns. Obviously they don't want to (and most here do not do this I think ***wrong???*** tell me), but that is a big feature of new astro gear. Incidentally Bintel DOES NOT want to transfer warranty to 3rd parties (I asked them). However if you had the receipt in your hand.......I dunno.

- usage. We can usually gauge this to some extent by the vintage of the gear. If no return is offered and you cannot inspect, there is a risk. Must be.

- the reason why the seller does not want it anymore. We can ask, but take the reply with at least a tiny grain of salt. We are all human. Most sellers are genuinely moving on, trading in, etc.

- condition. I firmly believe we are mostly a trustworthy bunch here. You can look at how many posts a seller has, how long they have been around, if they are just using IIS like eBay etc. I REALLY would never dud anyone here on IIS myself :D, but on eBay? I dunno again. That is the jungle there.

Anyway I feel that many people DO believe that 2nd hand goods can only attract 50% - 60% of new, maximum, in these circumstances. That is the rule of thumb I always used to use in the Trading Post, but I soon saw how things went here on IIS and had to adapt. After several trades here for scopes, eyepieces and other gear, I am very pleased with how it all went, so OK.

That's a credit and a compliment to us all, eh? :thumbsup:

But it is a vexed question still.

Cheers

erick
23-10-2008, 08:50 PM
I've bought a lot and sold a little over the time I've been here. I think I've bought less than 20% of the value of my astro gear new. Never been unhappy with what I paid or what I received through IIS. Every seller/buyer has been a pleasure to deal with. Maybe I've been lucky? I reckon I'm on the positive side - seem to have sold for a higher percentage of new price then that at which I have bought. (But I do have some things now that aren't getting much use - part of the learning process - anyone want some sets of coloured filters!) I've found that if I help the buyer I have a good chance of selling. Sometimes, I am prepared to "sweeten" the deal by adding additional useful items to get my asking price.

Starkler
24-10-2008, 01:32 AM
It depends on the type of item too. Generally speaking good quality eyepieces that are well cared for should maintain a higher % of original value than items more prone to wearing out or deteriorating with time.

I think a lot of the time you just have to be lucky to be selling at the same time as someone ready and wanting to buy. Most times you have to tempt them with a price low enough to persuade someone that NOW is the time to buy something they MIGHT have bought sooner or later.

The Aussie astro gear market just isn't big enough to support the kind of prices attainable on astromart.