PDA

View Full Version here: : Hooray!

Crash Nebula
28-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey everyone guess what...

I have enough money for my scope! I saved up $600 and now I have enough for a skywatcher 8" dob. I'm so happy.
Anyway, heres my question - Should I buy my scope now, or wait a few weeks and put the money in a bank account and let it accumulate wealth for a litte bit and then buy it? I don't think we'll be on the coast near star optics anytime soon so option #2 sounds best. More waiting sigh. :rolleyes:

h0ughy
28-08-2005, 07:52 PM
it really comes down to what is practical at the moment. keep saving, who knows maybe they might have some better prices by then and more for your hard saved dollar! Congratulations on achieving your goal!

Starkler
28-08-2005, 07:56 PM
I thought you were going to get a GS dob? :shrug:

seeker372011
28-08-2005, 10:18 PM
have you checked prices at andrews and aquila ?

dugnsuz
28-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi
My 2 cents...
Look at Andrews Com's site - $600 will get you a 10inch Dob, 4 or 5 Plossl
Eyepieces etc!!
The 8inch Skywatcher is going to be roughly the same telescope as the Guan Sheng one which Andrews sells for $399.
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm
Check out AOE too...http://www.aoe.com.au/aoe.html
Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted, but in the past I bought a 10inch Dob from Bintel for $1099 almost 2 years ago. The exact same scope is now available for $599 but recently in Brisbane I've looked at the same scope for $995.
The moral - Buyer beware!!!!
These Chinese/Taiwan scopes are on sale all over the country under different names and inflated prices.
For me Andrews Com's looks the best buy at present - the 10 inch is a fantastic, manageable scope. Save some money for a UHC filter too
Good Luck
Cheers
Doug

asimov
28-08-2005, 10:58 PM
As Doug says.

netwolf
28-08-2005, 10:59 PM
I bought my 10" from Andrews for 599 with 4 EP's + Binos + Moonfilter + 4 Filters + 2 more EP's. I am very happy with it. The only issue is with the Instructions for building the base, they are non existant you have to guess from some full diagrams what to do. Also soon after i bought mine, the delux edition had some changes I wish i had waited. With the Delux model you get Craford Focuser and a right angle finderscope and a cooling fan.

Andrew is a great guy to deal with but even he admits his knowledge of Astronomy is not high. I would also reccomend from feedback you take a look at Bintel, though there prices are abit higher the offer one good thing. Bintel full dismantle and reassumble the OTA and make sure its colimated and do a star test on it. There is a price diffrence for this and am not sure if its worth it or not. My Dob did come with pretty good colimation, i have not had to do one. Though i have borrwed a simulated Star from a mate to test it out properly.

One suggestion goto the news agency and check the latest austrlina astronomy mags to see the specials from all of em. You will note with Andrews and Bintel they are alwasy offering some kind of special with extra EP's etc to move there stock.

dugnsuz
28-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi Again,
I agree with netwolf - in that Bintel, although slightly more expensive(dirty word I know) might be the better option quality-wise.
My 10inch Dob arrived in perfect collimation with the rear metal base plate removed to allow better mirror cooldown.
Now my cynicism says that they can't look at every scope but my real-world experience tells me otherwise.
I haven't bought the same scope from Andrews so I cant comment on their QC.
Feel like I'm muddy-ing the waters a bit - hope not
Cheers
Doug

dugnsuz
28-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Hi
Just jumped onto the Bintel website - the privelige of an OTA strip-down will cost you $699 + Deliv' (around $100 last time I asked).
Andrews charge around $65 for interstate deliv' I think - all this has to be considered unless you live next door.
Personally I'd go with the cheapest option and hop onto this forum if you need to collimate etc - lots of helping hands here - don't worry be happy.
If you've got your heart set on a dob go for the biggest bugger you can afford/carry - in the UK I had a 12.5 inch Dark Star Dob. The thing was like a Rinnai hot water tank, but it was worth the effort to lug it outside.
Cheers
Doug

davidpretorius
28-08-2005, 11:55 PM
well done, i can only imagine what you must be feeling. That is a top effort saving. 10" dob way to go, you will not be disappointed!!

asimov
29-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Yep. You have to learn to collimate anyway when you get it. May as well go the cheapest way IMHO.

netwolf
29-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Get the delux edition, worth every penney. Wish i had done that.

asimov
29-08-2005, 01:33 AM
oh yes...Definitely go the deluxe! From Andrews.

BC
29-08-2005, 08:19 AM
I've had my 10" from Bintel for a few months now. As a first scope buyer, I was happy to go with a shop that I could walk into and actually see the 3 sizes in the flesh; and also see what they actually looked like aesthetically. Andrews, however, had one size on display, sitting up on a shelf, sprayed matt black with a spray can. My impression was "price ain't everything". Bintel offered the fan, which was very good for me with 20+ degree temp differentials. The Crayford is a delight to use. I also got the GS plossels whereas, at the time, I would have had to pay Andrews $49 per EP to get them (no trade ins or upgrades were offered). The EP case is good too. The only thing I'd question is the value of the strip-down. It's nice they spotted the mirror (although it is 1mm off centre), but in chasing the kind of views that many people describe on this forum, I've ended up stripping the whole thing down anyway to fix up the pinched mirrors. I was happier going with Bintel for my first scope, but if I was buying a second, I'd go with Andrews.

Crash Nebula
29-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but my dad won't let me get one from andrews. Hes touchy about giving people credit card numbers. So, I'm getting it from Star Optics on the Gold Coast.

Starkler
29-08-2005, 09:15 AM
You could get a money order from the bank ?
It really is a worthwhile saving to buy from Andrews and you'll end up with a better scope.

BC
29-08-2005, 09:15 AM
No, you don't have to do the credit card thing. Ring Lee up and he gives you his bank account details. You go to the nearest bank of the same company and deposit the money, then ring him up to tell him you've done it. The bits are then on their way.

rmcpb
29-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Use the money order or bank account system. The savings are really worth it. Don't forget the Cheshire eyepiece for collimation $29.

Cheers

ving
29-08-2005, 10:11 AM
hi crash, congrats... no matter whic way you go you'll be happy :)
andrews are the best way to go but if ya dad says no then so be it. you enjoy the results anyhow :D

have fun d00d!
and dont forget to ask here when you need help collimating :D

chunkylad
29-08-2005, 10:20 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with the last three posts. Don't waste your money by buying from a 'convenient' location: go straight to Lee Andrews and get the best (biggest) aperture you can for your money.
I live in North Queensland, so most of my hobby purchases are done by mail-order. No sweat! I sent Andrews a Money Order by Express post, and four days later, my 12" deluxe Dob was on my doorstep. Fantastic!!!! And, at an unbeatable price.
I know that being a young person, saving $600 is no mean feat. I would hate to see you partially waste your effort by getting less than the best value you can.

Cheers

dugnsuz
29-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi Again,
Ask your Dad to have a look at the replies on this forum.
I hope he'd see that a credit card isn't needed to purchase.
I absolutely know the need to see what you're gonna buy in the flesh, but...
the wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum should really be headed. Take a look at the Dobs on offer at Star Optics and be aware that the same scopes are available to you elsewhere at a cheaper price with better accessories (sorry Star Optics but that's capitalism).
Cheers
Doug

Crash Nebula
29-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Sorry, guys, but I'm getting a Saxon 8" dob tomorrow for $560 with 3 extra good quality eyepieces thrown in... ASST is closing down and need to vacate floorstock, so this is what i've got. I'm happy :D:D:D:D:D

davidpretorius
29-08-2005, 10:00 PM
well done crash, you will enjoy.

welcome fellow dob owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doesn't that sound good.

great saving effort, you will have lots of big brothers here to boss you around, but in a caring way.

now get to bed, it is past 10 oclock!!!!

Miaplacidus
29-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Congratulations, Charlie! You'll love it! :cool:

Make sure to tell us more once you've got it.

Cheers,

Brian.

dugnsuz
29-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Well we've tried to sell the 10 inch option - but hey, an 8 inch scope is an excellent way to get into deep sky too.
I remember going from a 4 inch tasco (department store) reflector to an 8 inch scope - the difference blew me away!!
You'll love every minute of it.
I hope our various opinions haven't confused you.
Good Luck to ya.............
Cheers
Doug

RAJAH235
29-08-2005, 10:57 PM
:thumbsup: Charlie. Good choice. :D L.

[1ponders]
29-08-2005, 11:03 PM
So does that mean we'll see you at Ron's place this weekend Charlie? Bring your dad. We'll get him well and truely hooked and before long you'll be using that 8" as a finderscope in a 40" obsession :lol:

Great choice mate, well done. Enjoy :thumbsup:

dhumpie
30-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Superb choice for a beginner's scope Charlie. And I am sure you will be using it for many years before you outgrow it. At 8", many of the brighter Messier's show minute detail and look very spectacular from dark skies.

Darren

Crash Nebula
30-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys! :)
Picked it up around midday. It's so big! I can't wait to get out tonight (cloud's clearing!)
Targets for tonight -
Jupiter
Nebulae
Stars
Planets!

Yay! I can't wait!!!!

janoskiss
30-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Congrats! Welcome to the dob club! Be sure to catch Jupiter just after sunset while it's still relatively high in the sky (... and Venus too). :thumbsup:

ving
30-08-2005, 03:28 PM
congrats charlie :)
being a 8" dob owner i can honestly say that you'll really enjoy the scope. you'll be able to see some really faint objects with it given reasonable conditions :D

I am super happy with mine!

Striker
30-08-2005, 04:00 PM
ASST is closing down....wow.....Least you know that Brian at ASST would have made sure the scope was collimated and center spotted for you...well done Crash.

astro_south
30-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Good onya Charlie. No stopping you know! :thumbsup:

asimov
30-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Good one Charlie!:cool: Happy viewing mate..:thumbsup:

Crash Nebula
30-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Venus... :D
Spica... :scared2:
Jupiter and 4 moons... :scared: :scared: :clap: :clap: :jawdrop:
I could see the bands! I'm hooked now! I'm going out onto the driveway later to see if I can see some nebulae. Wish me luck :thumbsup:

acropolite
30-08-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm with the others Charlie, pay by money order or by direct deposit. The extra aperture from 8 to 10 inches makes a large difference in light gathering power and you don't need to waste your hard earned dollars. If you're concerned about initial setup and support, as the others said go with Bintel, they setup and collimate before shipping and also have insurance on their freight to cover any damage that may occur in transit. If you get the 10 inch (at no or little extra cost) you will never say "I wish I had bought the 8 inch" but the reverse will certainly apply of you chose the 8 inch , knowing that for the same dollars you could have had the 10 inch.

Crash Nebula
30-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Heh, Phil... bit late... already got one! LOL!

acropolite
30-08-2005, 08:05 PM
:rolleyes:...:ashamed:...:doh: That's what happens when you don't read all the posts. Enjoy your new toy charlie...

janoskiss
30-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Just ignore Phil, Charlie. :D The Saxon 8" at f5 has the advantage of being very compact compared with the GS Dobs. You'd have no problems fitting it into a very small car. My 8" GS only just squeezes into the Corolla, leaving room for just one passenger. The Saxon would fit in the boot... You will want to take it to dark skies eventually; that's a whole new :eyepop: experience.

Miaplacidus
30-08-2005, 09:18 PM
For what it's worth, the difference I found between a 10 incher and an 8 incher was that I actually used the 8 incher.

Always, always, always the best scope is the one that you use...

Good luck!

Brian.

davidpretorius
30-08-2005, 09:42 PM
hope you are having fun mate.

i have been looking at the lagoon and tarantula over the last few weeks, which show so much detail even in grey. i was not sure if i would see nebula, but there they were.

just as nice seeing them live in grey as they are in colour pictures!

don't forget you have school tomorrow!!! no late nights. it would be irresponsible for anyone to mention to charlie that mars rises at 11:23 and that saturn at 5:15!

so please remember he has to go to school like we have to go to work and that on work nights we are all in bed by 10pm!!!

Crash Nebula
31-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Hehe,
I've been off sick for the past 3 days. I reckon I can go back tomorrow.
I didn't end up getting out again yesterday, but I still couldn't stop thinking about Jupiter. Itrs so much better than binos... I mean, my finderscope is like my binos!!! :D :rofl: :D :rofl: :D
Now i'm saving for some 2" eyepieces... I have an adaptor going to waste!!!

ving
31-08-2005, 09:57 AM
if you are going for a cheap 2" EP charlie, i can recoment the GSO superview 30mm. it only give a 70 deg FOV (compared to 80 odd for some other cheap wide field 2" EPs) but it will work really well in your f6 scope. :)
I probably wouldnt go bigger than 30mm unless you are going to fork out hundreds of dollars on a pentax or televue.

dhumpie
31-08-2005, 10:50 AM
So what did you see last night??? I was out for a brief session and it stayed clear till around 11pm Brissie time. Time for a report Charlie :)

Darren

Crash Nebula
31-08-2005, 11:41 AM
I saw Venus, Jupiter and Spica. Spica is wonderful, a loveley blue/white. Was very shiny. :rofl:
Here is my scope :)
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/7599/dsci00558fi.th.jpg (http://img378.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsci00558fi.jpg)

dhumpie
31-08-2005, 12:20 PM
NICE :) :) :)

Darren

ving
31-08-2005, 12:49 PM
your new scope looks very shiny too ;)

Crash Nebula
31-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Yesss.... shiny.... yess... :rofl:
Anyway...
I'm going to try and find some neb. tonight. :) :D :)

dhumpie
01-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Hey Charlie,

Some objects to try for...M8 the Lagoon, M20 the Trifid, M17 the Swan/Omega (all in Sagittarius) and M57 the ring (Lyra) and M27 the dumbbell (Vulpecula).

Tha will get you started....

Darren

Crash Nebula
01-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Ohhh! I can't wait to find dumbbell neb!!! :D :D :D

acropolite
01-09-2005, 06:43 PM
hunt down some globs charlie, 47Tuc and omega cent good starters and have lots of wow factor...:astron: