PDA

View Full Version here: : EQMOD users : Give your opinions (please)

AlexN
17-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I've been going to the EQMOD site now almost every 2nd day, looking at the feature list, and being rather impressed..

However, Like everything with astronomy, I feel the need to ask the question here, and get some idea of other users opinions.

I like the idea of pulse guiding, PECprep, EQMosaic but most of all, I like the idea of having less cables running to my mount from my computer :D

I would love to hear people thoughts after having used EQMOD.

If I decide to go in this direction, I'd buy the EQDIR plug from shoestring, as from what I've read, using the serial to RJ-12 plug to the synscan controller has its fair share of bugs/issues.

I suppose thats about it.. All opinions welcome, both positive and negitive.. Speak up! :D

monoxide
17-10-2008, 11:16 PM
its great :thumbsup:
if your handset is v3 you dont need to buy anything extra, just set the mount to 'pc direct mode' and use the cable you got with the mount it will connect to EQMOD just fine

you might have to update the firmware for pc direct mode if you have older firmware but thats fairly painless.

AlexN
17-10-2008, 11:35 PM
I have V3.20... Latest is 3.23 or 3.21 isnt it?

RobF
18-10-2008, 02:29 AM
I found this Cloudy Night thread on guiding clarified some questions I had running around in my head. Last post on the page talks a bit about EQMOD options. May be stuff you already know though Alex:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2215543/Main/2212637

I'm on Synscan 3.23 currently after having to sort some handset problems earlier. Looks like 3.21 was the first version that support direct EQMOD connections, but with some probs....

AlexN
18-10-2008, 03:14 AM
Cheers Rob... After reading that, and having a dig through the Yahoo EQMOD users group, I've just ordered a Shoestring EQDIR module, I have a 4m DB9 cable, so hopefully I'll get it all sorted out sometime next week.. :)

Matty P
18-10-2008, 09:38 AM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing Alex. I would be great to have EQMOD setup inside the Obs but I'm happy with the Synscan HC at the moment.

Let us know how you go with it. :thumbsup:

Terry B
18-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I use the EQMOD exclusively with my setup. I have the EQDIR. It isn't expensive and simplifies things.
I control the scope using Skymap pro6 from my laptop.
The process is.
Turn on the mount and connect skymap
Unpark the mount via the EQMOD window.
It retains the previous sync info and auto loads it.
Slew to a bright star. It is usually in the field of my 18arcmin wide CCD.
Center it using the buttons on the EQMOD and resync.
After I have synched on more than 3 objects I go into the synch list and delete the old ones from prevoius nights. This seems to improve the pointing.

It is usually pretty close.
If your using it visually then some sort of hand controller to centre whilst you are looking through the scope is easier. I use a mouse with the ball taken out but others use a rumble pad type hand controller.

RobF
18-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't even have a laptop to use currently, but will be interested to hear more of people's EQMOD adventures. I'm bound to succumb to the need for more control/guiding/something or other in the near future!
:lol::rofl: