PDA

View Full Version here: : Is it worth up grading

Baron von Richthofen
14-10-2008, 05:39 PM
:astron:
A quick question not hypos ethical
I will have in the next few days a new Meade ETX90EC, is it worth up grading to a second hand ETX125EC or PE?
Astro Nut
Vars

Starkler
14-10-2008, 05:49 PM
You will see a lot more with the greater aperture of the 125mm scope.
Only you can decide if its worth it. Aperture wins.

Baron von Richthofen
14-10-2008, 06:09 PM
The sky around hear is 5th magnitude only so I am concentrating on the planets
Astro Nut
Vars

bojan
14-10-2008, 06:20 PM
bigger aperture, better resolution....
Aperture wins (again and always.. except when you have to carry it around :-) )

Starkler
14-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Thats it. Where I live its about 4.5 mag skies and on every object except faint extended objects (which only dark sky can help), aperture wins every time.

Baron von Richthofen
14-10-2008, 07:41 PM
The difference between 90mm and 125mm is 40% in resolution and just under 1 magnitude better in seeing, with only this small improvement I am better off waiting until I can afford a 8" or 10" SCT

AlexN
14-10-2008, 08:13 PM
It would be MUCH cheaper to save for a 10 - 12" dobsonian if you're visually observing.... a 8 - 10" sct is going to set you back over ~2500-4000. If you're into visual observing, a 12" newtonian + 2 or 3 top notch eye pieces will come in cheaper, and you'll see more..

Im about the same distance from brisbane CBD as you are, and found visually, the diference between my 8" and my 11" is amazing.. things i could only get a hint of in the 8 have full body and structure in the 11"

Food for thought.

coldspace
14-10-2008, 08:50 PM
I am on the southern outer suburbs of Brissy as well, and I found my ETX125 which we use on family camping trips and for the kids to muck around with to be very good on planets and the moon, but it struggles with deep sky stuff unless you are in very dark skies. The optics are razor sharp and every thing you read about the ETX optic's sharpness is correct, but they lack aperature. Some of the best views we have had on Jupiter and Saturn and moon have been through the 125 ETX. I have looked at these objects through many types and quality of scopes and on these objects the 125 ETX really impresses me and a few other experienced astronomers so they can hold their own on these brighter objects, so for a grab and go ultra portable goto visual planetary scope with no collimation requirements and good focal length for these type of objects it may be a good choice for you.

If you want to go this way for a small portable goto scope then the ETX is alot of fun but I would not get the 90mm but at least the 125mm.

My 12inch LX200R just blows it away both on planets,moon and on deep sky even in suburbia, so get the biggest scope you can afford for visual, but light pollution can still disappoint on alot of deep sky targets.

10 to 12 inch dob is a good start, you can get the Orion ones with object locator at Sirus optics for around the same price as the ETX with much larger aperature, or alot cheaper would be a GSO type 10 to 12 inch Dob and then use charts to help get around the sky.

If you mainly want crystal clear views with refractor sharpness of the moon and planets then the 125ETX won't disappoint on this but for other objects then at least a 10 to 12 inch or bigger Dob or SCT telescope.

Regards Matt.

Baron von Richthofen
14-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Ok I will try to explain my problem, I am very limited what I can do physically, back
F—KED , my wife has to set up any scope I get so that’s why I got the 90,
I can do every thing remotely, so while the others scope I would like to have I am limited and if I get a big scope it will have to be in a dome and every thing dun remotely
The 125 is at my limit or a bit over it
Vars

coldspace
14-10-2008, 09:57 PM
If you have already got the 90 ETX on order then wait and see what it will do, it will give you great views on the planets,and your wife will have no problem setting it up for you.
You asked the question if it was better to upgrade, well if the 125 is to big then don't get it.
The best telescope is the one you will use the most.
When you post questions, maybe include more info on your needs and capabilities so the rest of the community can respond more directly :thumbsup:.

Regards Matt.

h0ughy
14-10-2008, 11:43 PM
well hell yeah its always worth upgrading!! but it really comes down to what do you want - buzz click look or push to look with much larger aparture for the same dollar? the 125 would be better value even with a back injury