PDA

View Full Version here: : Shoot out SM60/PST mod/Lumicon-who won?

Merlin66
10-10-2008, 03:27 AM
Finally got enough prolonged sunshine to set up the 80mm Vixen and try some filters/ combinations on the Sun. Seeing wasn't the best but still.

SM60/BF15 - as expected; good clear views, plenty of "hot spots", granulation, spiculae all around the edge and two sets of proms. Just does the job as advertised!!

SM60/PST double stacked/ BF15 - disappointing! No more detail ( although the image is much darker) than with the SM60 alone; infact seemed a bit worse! ( See below)

SM60/ Lumicon Prom Filter ( The Lumicon I gather (??) is supposed to be used with an ERF to show at about 1A, the proms - It states on the body " don't use with apertures above 4" " It's only a very narrow band 1 1/4" filter in a tilting housing)
Surprising! Didn't do ANYTHING for the surface detail, but it certainly acted as a very efficient BF for the proms. Just took half a turn of the small adjusting screw to dramatically improve the visibility of the proms. They actually looked better than through the BF15! ( Must try the original IOM BF10 which is also adjustable). Hmmmmm.

Pulled off the SM60 and fitted a C-ERF; tried the Lumicon filter.. wooow the image is FAR TOO BRIGHT!!!! grabbed an ND3 filter and put that in front of the Lumicon. Toned it down so at least the view was "pleasant". Nothing easily (is there anything?) visible on the surface, and in spite of many adjustments/ re-focus etc etc I couldn't pick up the proms I'd seen earlier!!!!

Ok, move on; in goes the PST etalon (with a back focus of about 180mm); Geez it's BRIGHT, out comes the ND3 again....
Well I tried, I honestly tried, but what ever I did, never gave clear view of the granulation and I couldn't see any of the faint proms
The image was definately in focus????!!!! What's going on here???
Pulled the etalon off the rear adaptors and re-fitted it to the PST Black Body, back in the Vixen.........Mmmmmmm No focus; it needs to go in further......

So far SM60/BF15 10/10, SM60/ Lumicon 7/10 ( for great proms!), C-ERF Lumicon 0/10, PST mod 0/10

At they say in the UK; time for a cuppa!!!

Obviously the PST etalon wasn't getting to that design position of 200mm in-side focus with the Vixen....Hmmmm
Time to bite the bullet; off to the shed, out with the hacksaw and drill and 20 minutes later the Vixen tube is 40mm shorter (with a high squeaky voice!!)
The clouds are beginning to roll in ( It is the UK, you know!).... quickly set up the PST black body without even the C-ERF ( the sun's getting low... yes I KNOW the safety assessment says.....) WELL, WELL, WELL before I even tune the etalon; the sun pops into focus and the surface granulations are easily visible, a quick turn of the tuning ring and out pop the proms... YES...YES...
Clouded out before I could re-fit the SM60 to try the double pass.

Executive summary:
If you have the money left in your pension plan ; go for the SM60/ BF15 - fantastic!!
Don't buy the Lumicon unless you already have a SM40/SM60 (or a modded PST!) and need an equivalent BF15 ( unfortunately for proms only)
If modding a PST, the DISTANCE INSIDE FOCUS MUST BE CLOSE TO THE DESIGN 200mm, or you will be embarrassed and very disappointed.
Who says the solar minimum is boring.

h0ughy
10-10-2008, 07:58 AM
thanks for your report and efforts. to save the experimentation and heartache I have a Lunt 60mm H-alpha Solar-Telescope with Double-Stacked 50 Etalon filter, B1200 blocking filter and 2'' Crayford Focuser on the way, should be here any day now....

Merlin66
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a great piece of kit, H0ughy!!
Look forward to seeing some photos of the set-up and results.
There's been some (!!) delays in getting them over here and I believe 9 months delivery wait was about the norm.

Merlin66
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Just found a weblink for the Lumicon Prom filter which states its a 1.5A bandwidth and MUST be used in an f20 and above system with an ERF.
In fairness to the earlier testing, my system was f10 not f20.
I'll stop the aperture down to 45mm, use the C-ERF and give it another go.
http://www.handsonoptics.com/slr_lumicon.html

kljucd1
11-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi Merlin,

Some great information there, thanks!!

Can I ask, as I have a Skywatcher ED80 and the modded PST won't come to focus, is there a way that I can work out whether a telescope will allow the required 200mm inside focus before I buy it :)?

It would be good to know what I should be looking for when I am surfing around for a scope that is actually available in Australia!!

Thanks

Daniel...

Merlin66
11-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Daniel,
I also have an ED80; now been moved over to either the SM60 or White light. The TV Genesis doesn't work and using Barlows to get some "extra" distance has also failed.
The Vixen A80Mf (with the 40mm cut-back tube) worked out a very cheap option for me. They are looked upon as the cheap beginners scope; just added a s/h 2" Crayford and it's now perfect for both the SM60 and the modded PST. Only cost 105 GBP all up!!
Some of the stubby WO scopes seem capable ( Nick Howes has had some success), but the short answer is you need to be able to get the hard edge of the focusser at least 200mm inside focus.
Can't see many, if any Newt reflectors giving this amount of in-movement. An SCT with a off-axis ERF would do the job. ( Actually must try that myself with the 10"!!)
This is easily checked by putting the modded PST + original black body on the scope; if it focusses then its OK. Sorry I can't be more definate.

kljucd1
11-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi,

Thanks, I looked at the A80Mf and it was only about US$239 or something but it was going to cost another US$170 to have it delivered!!

I haven't seen it here in Australia, but will keep looking for something that will work. By the way, which WO is Nick using?

Daniel...

kljucd1
11-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi,

Cool, I found it including some interesting images he has done! The images are on the Astronomy Cameras Blog (http://www.astronomycamerasblog.com/2008/04/24/nick-howes-sun-and-prominence-images/) webpage.

Thanks

Daniel...