PDA

View Full Version here: : ED80 vs ED100 for astrophotography?

mbaddah
07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi all

Was wondering for astrophotography, what would be the adv/disadv of the ED80 vs ED100? My understanding currently is as follows:

- ED80 generally wider view then the ED100 (on average 600mm vs 900mm?), great for some views such as Orion Nebula whilst not enough reach for others such as Omega Centauri (not close enough).

- ED100 with it's 20mm greater aperature makes for more appealing observing scope than the ED80 (?% more light gathering power)

- ED100 not as portable as the ED80

Is that right so far? Your help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

[1ponders]
07-10-2008, 01:18 PM
The ED100 also has a slower f/ratio (f/9? compared to f/7.5) so you would need to increase your imaging time by 1.44 to achieve the same level of exposure. Also the longer your FL the more demanding on your autoguiding.

gbeal
07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Bigger scope will need a bigger mount as well, factor this in.

mbaddah
07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys for your prompt reply.

I will be purchasing HEQ5 Pro so im sure weight will be fine for that. The F9 ratio might be a bit of a problem though, how much more demanding will it be?

Bintel are selling ED102 (can see here https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7847 ) and has a focal ratio of f7 :) It is expensive no doubt though :(

[1ponders]
07-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Ahh that would be one of the newer models. The older models were 900mm focal length. Buggered if I can work out why newer refractors intended for imaging don't come out standard with 10:1 focusers. :shrug:

gregbradley
09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I haven't used an ED100 but had an ED80. Nice scope but basically cheapish structure like the focuser and the tube and fittings.

The Bintel 102 on the other hand appears to be from the Pern Long factory in Taiwan. These are the guys who make the Williams Optics scopes and rebranded as other scopes like Astrotech etc etc.

They are a step up in quality and whilst not a Takahashi they would be a very nice scope indeed. Also you would probably find that William Optics accessories all fit it quite well as they are the same manufacturer.

So if you wanted a 10:1 or 6:1 microfocuser there is a good chance the Williams Optics one will fit it.

I have an Astrotech 66ED which is a cheap little scope but its fit and finish amazes me and it has a lovely 10:1 microfocuser etc and I use it as a guide scope and it works very well. It would be a Pern Long product rebadged.

Greg.