PDA

View Full Version here: : Whats going on

beren
25-08-2005, 03:33 AM
Cloud cover has made me resort to a lot of web surfing lately and i came across a new line of SCT scopes from Orion and currently listed on a Queensland dealers site ......just trying to figure out the pricing structure

EG:

8"SCT on a Skyview mount {eq5 with optional drive}=$3245/ US price=$1229
9.25"SCT same mount =$4300/ US price = $1629
11"SCT on a goto EQ6 mount =$7389 / US price =$ 2799

When converted to the current AU rate
8"=$1626
9.25"=$2156
11"=$3704
When counting in freight and warranty it still seems to be a fairly decent discrepancy especially when you compare other packages around ...eg:the same OTAs but in celestron colours on a CG5 goto mount 8"2499/9.25"3499/11"4299.

The 11" setup is interesting , the skyscan EQ6 mount seems to be around the $3000 mark here in Aus and a Celestron 11"ota seems to retail for 4500, not sure if these OTAs are different etc to the ones sold on the CG5 mounts {for about the same price as the 11'orion set up you could purchase a losmandy G11 mount {4950} and import a OTA maybe}. Anywhy just a observation, always pays to look around :)

iceman
25-08-2005, 06:34 AM
Quite a big markup there.. Having said that, I wouldn't buy a telescope from overseas, just because of the warranty issues.. if you had to send it (or bits of it) back for any reason, you'd be out of pocket big time. Not to mention the delays, customs duty etc.

Smaller accessories and eyepieces though, definitely pays to shop around, including overseas.

slice of heaven
25-08-2005, 08:17 AM
I noticed the C11 package last week when it was mentioned on another forum.
The mount offered was the Atlas Pro,(EQ6 but white with Synscan fitted and better QC).
Makes you wonder doesnt it.

netwolf
25-08-2005, 08:21 AM
The truth is that Australian retailers are puting in hughe markups for as yet unexplained reasons. Some retailers will give you a fair price, shop around and let them know you know the US Prices. I spoke with the Australian distributor for Celestron recently and got a few RRP's from them that were resonably good compared to the US Price. They indicated to me that often there Retailers have not updated there online prices, so it would be best to call them and get a quote over the phone.

The Celestron CPC 8" SCT XLT is a scope that my mates want to purchase, and calling around we got a few diffrent prices from $3500 to $3900. You can guess who the lowest was, hint see my signature. Optcorp.com have this in the US for $1999 aprox $2650 AUD.

So If i were you and buying a pricy scope, contact the Makers ask them for there official distributor. Contact the distributor get a RRP price from them and then ask them for a list of retailers.

There is still a considerable price diffence between US and AUD, but i am sure there are good reasons. Perhaps the retailers/Distributors can comment on this. I am guessing it has to do with Petrol prices/warannty etc etc.

ving
25-08-2005, 09:30 AM
holly cow! what a mark-up!!! :eyepop:
but you know what, they will still sell

elusiver
25-08-2005, 10:45 AM
it's probably like alot of things and really gotto do with market size. The australian market is really just a drop in the ocean compared to the US, so US retailers and rely more on volume and less on margin compared to the ones here in Aus. Someone along the line of say bintel/andrews may sell 10 scopes a week.. whereas OPT probably could do that in a day. Having that sort of turnover allows you to lower u'r margins heaps whilst still covering your overheads.

so what does that mean. We need to get more people into astronomy.. so we can get cheaper scopes! :D :D

also don't forget to add GST and duty. I'm not sure what the duty is on telescopes.. but it'd be safe to say another there's another 15%-20% you'd have to add on to pay the 'priveledge' of owning such a nice scope! :D

el :)

dhumpie
25-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Guess the market here is just not big enough to support the industry. We should get more people interested in stargazing so there will be a bigger market and hence lower prices...have you done your part today :)

Darren

atalas
25-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Are yes , well I guess Synta did buy Celestron out so we were bound to see these.
Sooner than what I thought !

Louie :)

Jonathan
25-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Thats a big difference. The US price looks to be incredibly cheap, and the Australian price is not even close. This is the same as what I bought a couple of months ago from Andrews. It cost me $5400 shipped to Adelaide, a very good price I reckon.

beren
25-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Mike its interesting in all my transactions with overseas {US stores} dealers ive had the order arrive pronto {thats if i catch the wednesday USPS dispatch}, items have been in stock and feedback given .While i havent purchased/imported a full scope i think its worth exploring the option and within the domestic market defintely like Netwolf has mentioned gather all info.I just found it alarming that a supplier would advertise something that is priced out of line with other packages out there. Its a shame in the recent AST review of the HE5/100ed the retail price was questioned or compared with whats already available

netwolf
25-08-2005, 10:58 PM
I read that review, i was also amazed that product price comparison was left out.
Remeber the price i listed is from a retailer in the US, this would be a markup from there purchase prcie. So it seems there is even more margin being collected by our local distributors and retailers. I have no data but would be happy if any distributors or retailers who are members would care to comment on the subject.

Starkler
25-08-2005, 11:43 PM
We seem to get similar or in some cases better prices than the americans on chinese made gear, but its more expensive desirable gear when the prices hurt. :doh:

netwolf
26-08-2005, 12:00 AM
It will be intresting to see Synta's impact on Celestron prices if any.

slice of heaven
26-08-2005, 12:33 AM
I think we already have with the rebadged synta/celestron gear by Orion.
But only in the states, maybe just to target their main 'brand name' competitor.

The $2000 difference for the same setup from 2 different Aus dealers is way over the top.

netwolf
26-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Who is waiting to get Mars tonight.. you all seem up late..