PDA

View Full Version here: : How to - Red Dot finder on GSO DOB ?

Davekyn
01-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Any ideas on how to attach a red dot finder onto a 12" Dob that does not have any fittings for such a thing?

Would I also have to add some kind of weight at the bottome of tube to make up the difference such as using somthing like small magnets?

Any recommendations woudl be great.
Thanks
Dave

dannat
01-10-2008, 01:08 PM
? isn't it a bit unusual for no finder, you will probably have to measure and drill holes, don't d it upright though you don't want dril shavings going toawrd mirror - or if you dare could take mirror out

bojan
01-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Try this..
I made it from standard square al tubing (50x25mm), cut to 20mm length.
Apart from cutting (Alcan can do it for you), it requires a bit of additional work with file, and some holes to drill (not shown on this drawing).
Red dot finder slides on the top rail, and then you can fix it by tightening the screws at the finder's side.

Space Dog
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi Dave,

I persume your Red Dot finder has a Dovetail mount, if so the easiest way to mount it is to purchase a Dovetail base and attach it to your telescope in a suitable position for easy use.
I have mounted a Red Dot finder to an Orion 200mm Dobsonian
telescope ,next the existing 9 x 50 finderscope and it works a treat.
I have found that extra weight is not required to counter balance the Red Dot finder.
You can purchase a dovetail base online from Bintel for $10.00 plus postage that would do the job.
PS. I have no a interest in Bintel apart from being a satisfied customer.

Davekyn
01-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys,
I'll go with Ric on that one. I'm about o order in the next day or two...The scope & will be taking the advice of a lo of people in here & settling in with what comes with the scope first.

Once I become acustomed to the scope itself, the plan thus far may indeed to then purchase a red dot finder or even laser...But yea Ric...I was thinking about ataching a dovetail mount. I was just worried about how far the bolt & nuts might protude into the light path of the tube as I notice the countersink holes (on the dove tail mounting bracket sold at Andrews Communication) seem to be sunny side up.

After I get the scope I'll have a good look inside and out, & most likely go down the path your saying.

Cheers folks
Dave

PCH
01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Dave,

ditto that. I did exactly this also, and it works a treat. It's also a great combination of viewfinding devices to fit to make finding stuff really easy.

You just have a quick squiz thru the rdf, switch to the finderscope to centre the object, and then quickly nip to the EP. I'd be prepared to bet you'll wonder why you didn't do this a lot earlier..... Apart from the fact that you appear not to have had a scope a lot earlier - duh :P

Cheers, :thumbsup:

Crusader
05-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Double sided sticky tape works wonders. I stuck a RDF on top of my existing RACI finder. After 2 months it's still on and only requires slight adjustments from time to time. The only downside is that you have to bend reasonably low to see the red dot.

BC
05-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Go the double sided tape. Telrad comes supplied with it. I only use a telrad on my 10" dob and have removed the normal finder scope because I never use it. Note that some red dot finders require you to line up your eye in the correct place, which defeats the purpose in my opinion. Telrad doesn't have this problem.

Bruce