PDA

View Full Version here: : Carton Brand Refractors?

[1ponders]
24-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Has anyone heard of the Carton brand refractors. I've just borrowed one to try out for a guidescope and for what looks like a fairly elcheapo refractor produces a surprisingly good view. And it's turning into an el rippo little guidescope. I"ve searched the net for it and found one obscure reference to it, but nothing else. If anyone has any info on them or knows where to get one or has a 60mm one they no longer need I'd love to hear from you. Assuming I can't talk the owners out of this one of course :P

RAJAH235
24-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Paul, Have never heard of the brand, but found lots of links for you to peruse.
http://users.tpg.com.au/inglisrc/scopeillustpage.htm
http://users.tpg.com.au/inglisrc/basicdscequip.htm
http://www.google.com/Top/Science/Astronomy/Business/Telescopes,_Binoculars_and_Accessor ies/Dealers/
HTH. The google's a beaut. :D L.

[1ponders]
24-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks Laurie. Yes I saw a few pages about the Carton Spotting Scope, but only one about the Astronomical Scope, as they call it on the booklet. I wonder if the spotting scope would be as suitable? This scope is quite a few years old. The full details are "Carton Wide Field Asttonomical Telescope. Model No. 878 at"If its not made anymoe its a shame. As I said its not too shabby even in the viewing department for a small cheap scope. From what I've seen of low end 60mm scopes these day it leaves them for dead.

ving
25-08-2005, 09:37 AM
adding it to the list in your signature?
where did you get it andhow much?

[1ponders]
25-08-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm only borrowing it atm ving. Thats what I'd like to know, where to get it and how much. The biggest bonus with it is that it's nice and light. I tried guiding with it last night and it worked a treat, though I think I'll need to get a 2nd elcheapo 2x or 3x barlow to go with the 2x I've already got. Just to increase the FL a bit.

dhumpie
25-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Hey Paul,

I have heard of Carton refractors. Back in the early days they used to make pretty spiffy long focal length refractors (well actually I think they were made in Japan). Quality was definately up there with the likes of Unitron I think. I did not think they they were still making telescopes though. Is this new or old? Also does it say "made in Japan" :)

Darren

[1ponders]
25-08-2005, 12:45 PM
There is very little informtion about it on the box or in the booklet, Darren. The booklet does say "printed in Japan" on the back, but the box is in English and French. There is not even a name of the brand on the box. It's only when I got the booklet out that I found that the brand was Carton. This is quite a few years old, if I had to guess by the look of it I would have to say at least 20-25 years old, but in good condition. In its day it would have been a pretty good scope.

atalas
25-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Paul I think there was quite a few running round through the 80ties ,I dont think there made anymore . They were reported to have a well figured lense. You might find a review on Cloudy Nights . Probobly a collectors item now I guess ,dig a bit deeper and I'm sure you'll find out more on them.

Louie :)

[1ponders]
25-08-2005, 01:56 PM
I'll check CN. Thanks Mr Louie. I'll just have to try to talk the current custodians into selling it. ;) :D

atalas
25-08-2005, 02:01 PM
You know thinking about It ....Ebay might be a good place to pick one up cheap .

Louie :shrug:

atalas
25-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Paul the reviews on the Carton are on ED Ting scope reviews !
http://www.scopereviews.com
Louie

[1ponders]
25-08-2005, 02:33 PM
I did Louie. No joy unfortunately. But I did find this fantastic buy http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TELESCOPE-NEW-RELEASE-SPOTTING-SCOPE-by-SAXON_W0QQitemZ7539325920QQcategory Z3636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem :P

dhumpie
25-08-2005, 03:41 PM
I say that you have got a good small scope on your hands. I have had the opportunity to look at the attachment you put with the thread and it will make a very good wide field spotting scope. I think they may be similar to the ones Celestron, Meade and even old Tasco were carrying back in the late 70's early 80's. I have seen a few of these japanese made scopes popping up on e bay and Astromart. I think they will make a good deal if cheap....

Darren

[1ponders]
25-08-2005, 03:46 PM
I hope it will stay in my hands Darren. I'll have to see what the current custodians say/want for it.

dhumpie
25-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Could you use this as a guide scope or is it too small?????

Darren

[1ponders]
25-08-2005, 05:12 PM
It has a focal length of 420mm. I used it last night to do the 47 Tuc images and apart from a couple of mount glitches it worked surprisingly well. With a 5x barlow or 2, 2xbarlows it should be excellent. Even a single 2x barlow (which I used last night) would be more than enough for prime focus using a 6.3 focal reducer on the SCT.

One of the things that quite surprised me was the smoothness and snugness of the R&P focuser. With the old synta scopes when you undo the locking screw there can be quite a bit of slop in the focal tube until its been adjusted. This has no obvious means of "snuggingup" the focus tube yet there is no no lateral movement whatsoever in the focuser even fully extended. I really want this scope or if not this one then I'm going to track another one down.

dhumpie
26-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Sounds like you got a keeper if you can "keep" it that is :)

Darren