PDA

View Full Version here: : 22" EQ Fork mounted

bkm2304
22-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Hello all,

I know I have the fever pretty bad, but I think this might put a stop to it - for now. I have recently acquired this scope, built in 1990 and equipped with a fork - mounted system driven by AWR go - to technology. The mirror is a Galaxy optics F4.5. I have just spent the last couple of weeks organising wireless network, underground power cabling, roll - off housing etc.

I will use this scope in conjunction with the G - Star ex camera to search for comets, asteroids and super novae. My home is close to a great amount of light pollution from the Newcastle coal loader, but this scope with the G-Star compensates very well indeed for the light issue. I'll post some initial test images from the G-Star soon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hamdunc/22Reflector#

Richard

h0ughy
22-09-2008, 11:47 AM
what a beastie - congratulations - what happened the LB16?

RB
22-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow what a monster !
I'm surprised you haven't been arrested for 'harbouring a rocket launcher' in your back yard.

:scared:

bkm2304
22-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi h0ughy,

The 16 LB is in the back room at the moment. Every time I walk by her, I smile at her as if nothing is wrong. But she knows.... I don't know how to tell her the real reason why I haven't taken her out recently. But I know that she will find someone else one day soon. Matbe even on IceTrade! And her proceeds will go towards those minor things I have sacrificed to get the 22" - like food.:whistle:

Richard

Lester
22-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Very nice looking scope and mount. A top cure for a fever also, just wondering how long before imunity sets it though.

All the best with your new toy.

Paddy
22-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Woo-hoo!

netwolf
22-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Wow thats an impressive looking Scope. But not as portable as your LB16 so maybe she will get out to the Dark skies ;).

bkm2304
22-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey guys.

Thanks for the nice comments. This is the culmination of a hobby that started in 1967 when I was 7, and I got a Tasco 25mm slide focus scope on a tiny tripod about 20cm high for my birthday. I also firmly beleive that the privelage of owning such an instrument obliges me to actually DO something constructive with it and contribute to the scientific knowledge base by, hopefully, discovering a new comet, asteroid, supernova or two, or whatever else I may be capable of doing in the future. It gives me a plan so to speak.

Richard:hi:

Babalyon 5
22-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Hooly-ducking-fooly!! Wow!!:eyepop: Wish, wish, wish, wish, nothings happening yet!!!:rofl:

Ian Robinson
22-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I am so very very jealous .... what suburb are you in ?
Mayfield ?
Georgetown ?
Waratah ?
Islington ?
Stockton ?
Carrington ?

erick
22-09-2008, 04:33 PM
With the size of that scope, probably in all those suburbs at the same time. :D

That is one big instrument! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

bkm2304
22-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi Ian,

Good old Mayfield! With the perpetual sodium vapour dawn to the north and north east it is a challenge to actually see some nights. But, amazingly, some nights after midnight are very, very clear.:thumbsup:

Richard

Ian Robinson
22-09-2008, 06:09 PM
So I guess you are on the northern side of Maitland Road up near the Mayfleld Pool somewhere.

I used to live in Woodstock Street , (my dad build single handedly the houses at 109 and 107 when he returned after WWII, including making the concrete bricks to build them) about 200m from the Industrial Hw when I was growing up. Astronomy was a challenge, though I did manage as by happen chance the smoke from BHP and Koppers usually went around us. The Na vapour lights along the Industrial Hw and in Carrington would be bad news , but a LPF will help out a bit, so will the shear light gathering power of a 22" mirror .... still green with envy ....

Do you know that one of the first actual observatories in Australia was built just north of the Bull Street Bush (up on Mayfield West Hill) ? .... the foundations were still there when I was a kid.
I heard about this from my grand parents and when Dr Way was still alive he told me about it.... he had a big telescope not far from Maitland Rd in Mayfield West up to the early 70s when he died.

Wavytone
22-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I see you have a conical polar axis with a large disk at the top of the cone just below the fork - are you using a roller to drive in RA via that disk ?

Reminds me of a massive steel fork I once made for a 12" Newtonian I once had... while it was great at first I found I found I couldn't stop the rust getting out of control and leaving the OTA outside was really really bad for the coatings no matter what I did.

theodog
23-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Nice scope -very inspirational.

I too grew up in the Mayfield area. Vine St infact.
Learned my early astronomy under the lights (and gasses) of the BHP and other industries.
Had to stop frequently as the steam from the coke ovens cleared.:sadeyes:

bkm2304
23-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Ah yes! The choke ovens. I had forgotten them! I worked briefly at the BHP for 6 months prior to uni. I had excellent hearing so they put me in the tinsmiths shop - dozens of hammers hitting sheet metal in a big tin shed. My mate landed in the choke ovens - her obviously had great lung function - he took one look and walked straight out the main gate!

bkm2304
23-09-2008, 09:24 AM
THis fork is nearly 20 years old and doesn't have anything but minor surface film. It is well - lubricated so I imagine that helps. The rollers seem to be fine.

THe rollers are at the top of the cone and the RA drive is at the bottom - it is close to the deck so i have to be careful! It runs very smoothly and slews nicely, though atthe extremes when the load is greates I slow the slew speed a bit to help things.

Ian Robinson
23-09-2008, 01:38 PM
You were only a stone's throw from the main drag there, probably read the same books as I near wore out from the public library on Hanbury Street.

Mayfleld used to be a pretty nice community when I was a kid , all the shop owners knew everyone , and everyone knew their neighbours (very well) and more importantly - everyone looked out for everyone else . We often left the doors and window open and unlocked all day and all night even when out for the day .... bet you woudn't do that in Mayfield now.

I worked the coke ovens from time to time - chemists did streak relief there (when I had first career with the big aussie (1977-1983), hated the lids .... gave a new meaning to the words hot and horrible.

Worst thing that ever happened to Newcastle was loosing the Steelworks, I was there then too (as an engineer) and didn't want to leave. Not all Onesteelers left with monster golden handshakes, only the guys who had been there for 20-30 or longer years - and they were not common. I fealt very shi%%y about loosing my job in 1999, and still do, but at least I landed a contract in Port Hedland and that made it possible for me pay out my mortgage and other loans , and still have al little bit of money in the bank so at least I didn't wind up destitute (and homeless) as a result (no thanks to Onesteel).

Gama
24-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I hope you look after it Richard, as it brought much enjoyment for me while i had it.

Hows the hand controller, getting up to all its functions ?.

Guys, unless you stand next to the telescope, you cant really see the size of it. Not to mention the weight. It must weigh around 400-500Kg.
I must mention the maker of this ALL steel telescope, from memory i think it was Peter Tobby, but maybe Richard can read the plaque. He must have spent so many hours for the results that continue to impress.

Theo

netwolf
24-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Theo, I did not want to say before but I had guessed this might have been yours. The AWR was the clue, I know you have talked to me about this scope over the phone. If memory serves did this per chance come from Perth originally or was that another scope i am confusing with? The one from WA had a special observatory built around it.

Richard your one lucky man if this is the scope you got.

bkm2304
25-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Indeed it is, Fahim. I know Theo was sad to see it go but rest assured it has gone to a good home!

Richard:thumbsup:

bkm2304
25-09-2008, 04:28 PM
And while I'm talking about Theo, I want to acknowledge the expertise and "after sales service" Theo has offered to me. Many phone calls with instructions like, "..ok now turn the Allen key clockwise. " have been much appreciated. Theo's depth of knowledge on, well, everything has been invaluable.

And another thing. It is through forums like IIS that information can be exchanged at a truly phenomenal rate. Let's not forget the great service Iceman and his cast of moderators, advisors and good eggs do for the large and diverse community of amateur astronomers in the continent and beyond.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thum bsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thum bsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thum bsup:

Gama
26-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Good memory mate, that is correct. This is my old (And missed) scope.
I did put the AWR on it to have goto and better tracking.
This is the telescope from Perth, with some minor upgrades and fixes.
I remember richard rolling up and his smile grow from one side to the other side of his face. I thought he was going to camp in the observatory until the scope was delivered to his home.

Theo.