PDA

View Full Version here: : The Meade Series 5000 80mm Triplet APO

centroid
20-09-2008, 02:27 AM
I had been looking to ugrade my Skywatcher ED80 (600mm FL and f/7.5), with something a little 'faster', and a wider field of view (FOV).

The William Optics Megrez 88 (f/5.6), seemed to meet these requirements very nicely.

Fortunately, I was loaned one to try, and to cut a long story short, although the scope beautifully built and finished, being a'doublet' it showed an unacceptable level of chromatic aberation (CA) (colour fringing) in my images. So I had to look elsewhere.

It seemed that the only real way of eliminating this, was to look at 'triplet' refractors. However. 'triplet' is usually another word for high cost :(, and I really didn't want to spend TMB sort of money.

I found a review on the Cloudy Nights forum, on the Meade Series 5000 triplet APO, and this read very well indeed. After a bit more research, I decide to 'bite the bullet', and buy one. At £449 (around $Au 990), it seemed very reasonably priced for 'triplet', but not having had the opportunity to 'test drive' one, I have to admit to being a little apprehensive.

So, here is a mini review of my assessment:

The Meade Series 5000 80mm APO, is a three element (triplet) with a focal length of 480mm, and at f/6, is quite 'fast'.

Opening the packaging, revealed a very nice aluminium 'flight case', a 'nice touch'.

Inside, the scope was very securely enclosed in a custom cut foam rubber surround, that would clearly offer a great deal of protection during any rough handling of the case, e.g. airport baggage handlers.:(

The overall finish of the scope was far better than I was expecting really, given the price, and the fact it had triplet optics. The finish quality is very much superior to my Skywatcher ED80, but perhaps not quite as good as the William Optics Megrez 88.

Unlike the Megrez, the Meade only has a single speed Crayford style focuser. However, I really don't see this as an issue, as I've never found focusing the ED80 to be anything other than easy.

While similar to the ED80's focuser, the Meade does seem to be of a higher quality, and is both smooth and positive in its action, with no backlash or lateral movement. It was able to take the weight of my SXVF-H9C camera, without the drawtube 'creeping out', with the friction adjustment set, where the foucuser still moved smoothly, and easily when adjusted.

The dew shield retracts, sliding smoothly back over the OTA, thus reducing the overall length of the scope to just 380mm (ED80 fixed at 580mm).

A very pleasing point, is that the 'L' bracket for tripod mounting, is held on with single 'hex-head' bolt, which means that the bracket can be removed from the OTA, when mounting the scope in 'guide rings', as I intend to do.

The 'L' bracket is attached to a rotating ring, which enable the scope to be rotated through 360 degrees. There is a thumbscrew, which allows the ring to be locked in psoition.

Another real plus point, where the Meade scores over both the ED80 and the Megrez, is that the drawtube extends by some 120mm, compared to 80mm on the Megrez and 75mm on the ED80.

This should enable focus to be achieved without the need of an extension tube. For those who perhaps don't follow this, many refractors are primarily designed for visual observing, where a star diagonal would be used for comfortable viewing. For imaging, the diagonal is not generally used, and as a result, with the diagonal not there, the length of the focuser is effectively reduced, and there isn't then enough back-travel available to compensate.

Oh yes, another bonus point, is that the Meade comes supplied with the Meade Series 5000 2" diagonal. This is one that I know, as my 12" LX200R also came with one, and I've been quite impressed with it.

Although far from ideal, with an almost full Moon around, last night I was presented with a clear sky, and was keen give this scope 'its 'first light'.

As soon as the sky was dark enough, it was a race to get some DSO test imaging done, before the Moon appeared above the Eastern horizon.

It was evident that the Moon's appearance wasn't far off, from the sky glow on the eastern horizon, but at least the Moon itself wasn't visible.

I attached an eyepiece and pointed the scope at Altair, and was pleased to see that at focus, or either side of it, there wasn't any evidence of colour fringing at all.

Having read the review on the Meade 127 APO in the latest issue of Sky at Night magazine, where the reviewer commented that the Spherical Aberation performance of the Meade, wasn't was quite as good as that of Skywatcher Eqinox 120, I looked specifically at this parameter, but could not see any evidence of this at all in the 80mm variant.

At focus the stars were 'pin sharp', and the contrast very good indeed. A good start!!

Knowing that very soon, the Moon was going the be a problem for DSO imaging, I didn't dwell too long on the visual assessment.

A quick look to see what was available, best placed, and not requiring lengthy exposures, as the sky wasn't really dark enough.

So, I chose M27 to be the 'first light' object, for the new scope.

I wanted to try the scope at its natural focal length (480mm) and f ratio (f/6), so the SXVF-H9C was attached directly to the draw-tube, with just an IR blocking filter in place, as this is how the camera is always used.

I used the Lodestar and the 12" LX200R (at f/7), to guide the Meade APO, and captured 17x180 sec subs of M27.

Given the rapidly rising Moon, and the resulting sky, the end result is quite pleasing, and is attached below.

By now, the Moon was well clear of the horizon, and M31 'sitting' not that far above it. However, as I had used M31, and it's surrounding stars, in my assessment of the William Optics Megrez 88, I wanted to compare the Meade APO result with it.

I was a bit concerned at what the result would be like, as the the sky in that area, was now bathed in moonlight. However, as can be seen the the result below, the end result was better than expected. Clearly, a lot of the fine detail has been lost in the 'sky glow', but the object of the excercise was achieved, showing nice clean, colour fringing free stars.

Finally, before 'calling it a night', I put an eyepiece back in the Meade APO, and pointed in at the Moon, thinking if there are any chromatic aberation issues, then this would most certainly show them. To my relief and pleasure, the image was crisp and clear, without a trace of colour fringing. Needless to say, I went off to bed, a very 'happy bunny'.:)

If I had to make a negative comment on the Meade APO, then it would be that while very 'posh', the dew cap screws into the dew-shield, and is not as quick and easy to 'whip' on and off, as with the 'push fit' design.

I would also point out, that while being quite a small compact scope, it is quite heavy, due to the extra glass of the 'triplet' optics.

So, for price (£449), an 80mm triplet that performs this well, represents good value for money in 'my book', and I'm very happy to have it in my observatory.

I now have now achieved what I set out to do. Which was, to obtain a scope the would provide a bigger FOV, and be a bit 'faster' than my SW ED80, while retaining the colour fringing free results of the ED80.:)

Attached are the two test images, one of M27 and the other M31.

This is my first 'real post' on this forum, as a new member, so I hope it is as expected, and of interest to at least some.

Dave

batema
20-09-2008, 06:22 AM
What an exciting time for you. Great photos. Well done and enjoy.

GrampianStars
20-09-2008, 06:53 AM
G'day Dave
Love the M27 shot (m31 is too far north for me)
umm! what camera did you use for this
I have the WO-ZS80 APO f6.9

g__day
20-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Welcome aboard Dave! Great article and good to hear you're happy with your new OTA. I like your shots and as a person who has only been imaging for a bit over a year (using DSLRs and SCT) impress by the light grasp and contrast that can be achieved on much smaller APOs. Is this the quality of your camera, the darkness of your night skies - or just good optics, set-up and an experienced astro-photographer comming to the fore?

Matthew

miketheobscure
20-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Nice photos & review.

Bintel's got this scope for $879, and I'm tossing up between this & the EON/Equinox doublet myself.

Pro Eon: FPL-53 glass vs FCD1; dual speed focuser vs single, rotation in the focuser rather than in the camera foot; it's lighter (5lb vs 6.2).

Pro Meade: Triplet. Fit & finish, and I'd probably get either scope a Moonlite focuser any way.

Some bookmarks in my hunt for info on this scope that others might also find useful:
CN review: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1619
Some chatter: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2577650/Main/2576068

As I said, I liked your review - some more astro equipment facts to ponder - Mike

Babalyon 5
20-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Very cool review. I have been thinking about this scope to go with what I've got also. It does come out a winner in a lot of areas. I think you just made my mind up.:D

cookie8
20-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Well done Dave. A very comprehensive report. You should submit this report to the Equipment Reviews section of this site.:thumbsup:

mick pinner
20-09-2008, 12:59 PM
l enquired about this scope at Bintel (Melb store) some time ago and was told they had never looked through one and could not give me any feedback, a bit dissapointing. the short focal length refractors are a puzzle, to me anyway, W.O claim colour free images yet as your very good review states this is not necessarily the case.

PCH
20-09-2008, 04:31 PM
A great review Dave. And plenty of explanatory attention to detail provided which I found beneficial as a total novice where imaging is concerned.

Cheers :thumbsup:

centroid
20-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi Guys, and thanks for your comments.

A few questions raised there, so I'll have a go at answering them.

The camera is a Starlight Express SXVF-H9C, Peltier Cooled, one-shot colour camera, which uses the Sony ICX285 CCD.

Dark skies, well, for this light polluted little island (the UK), I guess I'm pretty lucky, as I live in a rural village location.

The village has no street lighting, and the nearest town (Ipswich) is 7 miles to the North. This does give some sky glow in that direction, but for us Northern Hemisphere guys, most everything happens to the South, and even those objects that are in the north at certain times of the year, move on round as the year progresses.

As far as the foucuser goes, although dual-speed crayford on the WO Megrez, was a delight to use, I really never had any issues with the single speed Crayford on the old Skywatcher ED80. Either way, as my scopes are controlled remotely from the observatory warmroom. The old SW ED80, and now the new Meade APO, is fitted with a JMI Motor Focuser.

I have just made up an adapter plate, to enable the JMI unit that was on the SW ED80 to fit the new Meade APO.

A word of caution regarding the Meade APO, is that early batches of these scopes came into the UK, via Meade in the US, and the quality control was either poor, or non-existant. Therefore, there were a few 'bad eggs' in the 'basket', which didn't inspire confidence.

All of these scopes now coming into the UK, do so via Meade Europe in Germany, and they operate to tight quality control system. End result, the quality is now consistently good.

Paul (PCH), I'm going to be in WA, visiting my daughter and family, for 5 weeks, from Oct 3rd to November 8th. I'll be staying down in Warnbro, and will be hiring a car for the duration, so if I can be of any help to you, it would be a pleasure.

I have kindly been invited along the the ASWA meeting, and will most certainly be taking up the offer.

I've attached another picture, taken witth the Meade APO last night. This is the eastern section of the Veil Nebula NGC6960.

Again, less than ideal conditions, with an almost full Moon, washing out the sky, but still a reasonable result.

If its of interest, for those that missed the link in my introductory 'post', there's quite a few my pictures of Northern Hemisphere DSOs, and a few that we share, on my website at:

http://uk.geocities.com/daves.astronomy@btinternet.com/

Dave

P.S> If Admin wish to move my initial 'post' in this 'thread', to the equipment reviews section, they are more than welcome to do so.

marki
20-09-2008, 11:23 PM
G'Day

I have had mine for about 2 years now and have found it to be a good little scope. I also got rid of the focuser and replaced it with a 2 speed moonlite which was a good move both for photography and stand alone use.

Mark

erick
21-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Many thanks Dave - a good read. :)

pjphilli
23-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi
I have a Meade 80mm APO refractor and although it gives great images I am not so impressed by the Crayford focuser. It is coarse in operation making fine focusing difficult and I have noticed that when the lock mechanism is used this moves the focus slightly off. Consequently I do not
use the lock but tighten up the front friction knob. However, this makes focusing more difficult. I know that some have retrofitted this scope with
a vernier type focuser but one wonders why Meade could not have gone the extra yard to instal a good focuser on what is otherwise an optically fine little scope.
Cheers Peter

centroid
24-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Hi Peter

The focuser on this scope is typical of the budget Synta foucusers, as used on the likes of the ubiquitous Synta ED80, which is sold under many well known brands, with just a different badge on it.

I have to admit, that I never found the focuser on my old Skywatcher ED80 a problem, as neither do I on the Meade.

But then, I don't operate them manually, but use a JMI Motor Focuser, so that I can control them remotely from the warm-room.

I believe that the 127mm version of this scope, has a dual speed Crayford style focuser, but then this scope is more than twice the price of the 80mm.

Certainly, I find that the Meade 80 APO's focuser, can support the weight of my SXVF-H9C camera, with the scope pointing at the zenith, without any 'creep out' of the draw tube. This while the focuser still adjusts easily.

I only use the tensioners, and not the lock screw, as the latter, now acts as a fixing point for the JMI Motor Focus.

The Motor Focus unit was a custom made fit for the SW ED80, and I made up an adapter plate, to fit onto the Meade. Cheaper than paying another £140 ($300Au) for one to fit the Meade.:)

Dave

kosh
24-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Good review Dave, helps me out also. I have been thinking about one of these for a while to go with my Skywatcher EQ6pro when I get it.

pjphilli
26-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi Dave

I will have to look into the Motor Focus Unit - sounds like a good thing!
But warm room? - maaate you have to suffer and be out in the cold and with the mossies and possums to be a REAL imager (LOL)

Cheers Peter

centroid
29-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Been there, done that, and got the 'T' shirt Peter, but as I've got older I've gone soft:)

As for the mossies, we arrive in Perth on Friday, and my daughter tells me that the mossies are pretty bad at the moment :(

Dave

toyos
29-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Isn't the 127Apo from Meade the same as the 127mm from Gilman in China that has been discussed at length here? In that case, quite a few of us here have it already, direct from the source at 1/3 of the price :lol:

centroid
30-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Gilman isn't a 'brand' that I'm familiar with in UK, but is possible they are the same or similar, as most all of this type of refractor are made in China or Taiwan.

Dave

toyos
30-09-2008, 04:12 PM
:lol: Gilman is the name of the person that some of us here have been dealing with in getting that scope. The company is called North Group, part of a bigger group named JOC consisting of several similar companies, all based in China. Meade refractors are made by the companies in this group. Just do a search on this site, this is just one of the several threads http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=31566&highlight=127mm&page=9

rogerg
29-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Has anyone got examples of DSLR shots using the Meade 5000 80mm triplet? I'm interested in how flat the field is for such large chips.

Thanks,
Roger.