PDA

View Full Version here: : What has anyone heard about the Synta Skyscan

h0ughy
22-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok just putting this one up so to get some feedback from experienced users. Does anyone actually own a Skyscan? If so how does it perform? Have you been able to use the Autoguiding part of the package? :help:

I am tyre kicking at the moment!

atalas
22-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Dave ask Striker I think his using one.

Louie :)

slice of heaven
22-08-2005, 02:04 PM
I've been waiting for Striker to give a rundown on his, but didnt want to prompt him while he's working out all his new gear.
But now you've brought the subject up.......C,mon Tony :poke:

Striker
22-08-2005, 02:30 PM
OK....I here's a full and comprehensive report on the Synta Skyscan version 2.04.

Brilliant....I love it...thats it....lol

OK I will give you a little more....Its realy easy to instal and very simple to use....NO experience is needed...its even easier then the Meade LX series autostar.

The motors are very very quiet and easily push my heavy set up around....the GOTO accuracy is slightly off but that has more to do with my set up and adjustment to be refined like backlash and looseness in the DEC gear train.

Over all I love the skyscan so for $960 I think its a great GOTO mod.

Only knock I would give it so far is choosing alignment stars...they should have more stars to choose from but once you get to know a few it makes the job easier...

Sometimes I just do a 1 star alignment...specialy if I know that I am doing imaging and only really need the 1 or 2 target's for the night.

Jonathon also purchased a Skyscan but I think he has had some problems.

mch62
22-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Also just tyre kicking for the upgrade but have had a confirmed e-mail from Skywatcher that the flash upgradable SkyScan will be out towards the end of the year.
So am waiting but still exploring options.

atalas
22-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Tony I think Houghy wanted to know about Its auto-guiding as well,any thoughts ?

Louie

Striker
22-08-2005, 05:25 PM
I can't comment on autoguiding as I have not used it as yet......I bought the shoestring adapter so I can control most camera's from my computer into the Autoguide port provided on the Skyscan....connecting a camera directly to the autoguide port I cant say...but it fairly simple technology....if you have a camera that connects via a RJ12 port then their's no problem.....plug it straight in.

h0ughy
22-08-2005, 05:40 PM
So what is upgradable on the hand controller? how much will it cost to go to the flash rom if I get one now?

Jonathan
23-08-2005, 02:44 AM
I got my EQ6 with SkyScan already installed about 2 months ago and out of the box it didn't work at all. I was told to send it to Tasco for repair under warranty, so I did. They sent it back about a week later with a new hand controller and cable, they also re-meshed the motors. I took it out for the first time last week and it all seems OK now. It is easy to use, probably even easier than Meade autostar and it is very quiet, quieter than my ETX when it's slewing. One thing I don't like on it is that it doesn't accept Central Standard Time (SA & NT - GMT+09:30), but that isn't a major issue and I doubt it'll bother you at all. As for autoguiding, I don't have a guide scope yet, so I haven't looked into it very much but there is a bit of info on the net so google it and you should find something. Apart from that I can't offer much info as the weather here isn't allowing me to use it to find out what it's capable of. I think there is a Yahoo group for them so that might be worth looking at.

slice of heaven
23-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Hook up with the EQ6 Yahoo group Houghy, the topic of the last week is autoguiding and what options owners are using.
As for the flash upgradeable option, all I know is the owners in North America will be able to exchange their old controllers by post, I don't know what options are available downunder.