PDA

View Full Version here: : Help with finderscope

BalderAsir
13-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Hey all, i'm wanting to change the finderscope on my telescope. the current finder mounts to the telescope via 2 screws protruding from the side of the scope and are held there by 2 bolts. Now, this isn't bad, but the actual finder is shocking, a slight bumb and its outta alignment.

i'm curious as to weather this 2 screw/bolt arangement is common on telescopes? Also, since i'm looking at moving to a red dot scope for the finder is there a particular mount, if any, that i need to get in order to attach it to the side of the scope, eg the red dot scope i know has to mount to a picatinny base, but is there a mount that the picatinny base sits on, or will I have to make one?

Thanks all

Nick

rmcpb
13-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Would some double sided tape work? Its OK for my Telrad.

BalderAsir
13-09-2008, 01:56 PM
hahaha, you know what, a piece of rubber, molded to the shape of the telescope would stick quiet well with tape. amazing how the simplest of ideas get missed huh. thanks make

TrevorW
13-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Try a red dot finder they are easy to install and work a treat.

BalderAsir
13-09-2008, 08:01 PM
thats what i meant by the red dot scope

ala http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holographic-4-TYPE-Reticle-Green-Red-Dot-Sight-Scope_W0QQitemZ180286411160QQihZ008 QQcategoryZ7307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or are you onto something else?

TrevorW
13-09-2008, 09:26 PM
The base just mounts to the tube I have a red dot finder on a refractor and the base justs screws onto the rings

Ian Robinson
13-09-2008, 09:31 PM
One leg holds the finderscope away from the main optical tube .... one set of collimating screws .... yep .... very common on cheaper telescopes and a pain in the butt to keep aligned.

You can buy finderscope quick release brackets from the better parts suppliers , these have a quick release dovetail for the dual-alignment rings (attached to a mini dovetail bar , so you have a finderscope that can detached easily and stays alighned cf twin rings (with 3 alignment screws- usually nylon , better of brass or stainless).

Try http://www.lumicon.com/telescope-accessories.php?iid=LS1035&cid=31&in=Universal+50mm+Finderscope+Brack et&hn= or similar.