PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade LX-50 question

BC
10-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi Folks,

I am considering looking at a Meade LX-50 for sale. It would appear from the number of 'Views' vs the number of responses, that these are not a popular scope. I understand that they are not goto and that they really should only be used for visual use. For visual use with tracking (on a wedge) are these scopes reasonable, or are they generally considered pretty poorly.

I have no wish to taint someone else's sale, so I'm happy to receive PMs if people prefer.

Thanks,
Bruce

allan gould
10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
I have a 10" LX50. Used it for years and totally enjoyed it. Mechanically/optically for visual use it was perfect - tracked very well and stable etc. I got interested in astrophotography but the worm gears in the RA were not up to it but the optics were sooooooo good that I took the OTA off and mounted it on a Losmandy mount. Perfect in every way.
If you want it for visual then go for it if its a good price. All Meade scopes of that era had the same optical tubes just changed the fork arms etc. Optically they were generally very good but get it star tested before buying (as with any scope)
Allan

acropolite
10-09-2008, 07:47 PM
The only downside is that there is no go-to, however, there is also a set of encoders available for the LX50 to enable fitting of an Argo Navis. You could get an extra set of encoders for your dob and get double use from the AN.

Wavytone
10-09-2008, 08:04 PM
After 35 years of using all sorts of scopes, don't worry about the GOTO part, for visual use the LX50 will track just fine.

Most of the visual observers here don't have GOTO scopes and are perfectly happy without the technology (starting with Dobsonians), IMHO its better to learn your way round the sky with a sky atlas, if you want add digital setting circles (like the Argo Navis, there are others) as these will help you point it at things you find from an atlas.The other thing I would have on it is a zero-power finder (red dot or TelRad™).

The GOTO scopes in some respects "dumb you down" in that its too easy to select an object and have it go there without having the foggiest idea where it is in the sky. This gets embarrassing when you're out somewhere nice (possibly a weekend away with the family) without the scope and someone asks "show me where X... is", and you haven't a clue.

If it's the 10" LX50 in the classifieds, that's a a very nice scope assuming the optics are OK and I'd have bid, if I wasn't already committed to buy another scope (which has just arrived). A while ago I was considering a 10" LX200 - until I had the opportunity to use one for a few weeks, then realised in practice I didn't really use the GOTO capabilities of the LX200 anyway. Consequently I have settled for a simple alt-az mount...