PDA

View Full Version here: : Remote Imaging Success! (sort of)

Peter Ward
07-09-2008, 03:05 AM
At long last I finally put the IT systems in place to get my backyard observatory fully remotely controlled via the internet.

What amazes me further is having checked into my hotel room in Longbeach California, using an Apple Mac running Parallels software I have full control over my observatory's Windoze XP PC, and can selectively power up or down the mount, ccd, filterwheel, weather station and dome much in the same way as I would have back in Sydney. Cool :)

One small but quite critical oversight....the only thing I can't do from the Net is take the mirror cover off the telescope....sigh...

bmitchell82
07-09-2008, 04:56 AM
MURPHY STRIKES AGAIN! YEOW:doh:

Phil
07-09-2008, 06:32 AM
get some good dark frame for when you get home.
Phil

Alchemy
07-09-2008, 07:08 AM
:doh: :bashcomp:

:confuse3:

drmorbius
07-09-2008, 08:29 AM
:lol: Gotta love computers, eh?

But that sounds like a totally awesome setup...

Omaroo
07-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Not sure why no-one's developed a large, but lightweight, motorised iris system for remote telescopes. Seems like a obvious requirement. I certainly can't see any on a Google search.

Peter Ward
07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
RCOS are indeed working on a remote cover for their larger telescopes.....but for now, I don't think calling the 'missus at 1.00am was ever an option :)

g__day
07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Maybe a four flap, hinged and spring loaded design connected to a servo to via serial to a PC - I could see this would be non trivial.

Its fun isn't it? I have yet to motorise my dome but I find it great simply when I don't want to spend hours in the cold to get shots.

I wondered - do you have your camera on some sort of motorised rotating platform to frame your shot the way you want it?

Lots of electronics to control!

Peter Ward
07-09-2008, 11:57 AM
You mean one of these? http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/rotator.html

Yep ! :)

thunderchildobs
07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Any chance of detail description of how it is all done, software hardware?

Brendan

Peter Ward
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Yes, a person (software) just has to lift up the primary mirror's dust cover (hardware) so it no longer obstructs its view of the sky :D

Jokes aside... As there are commercial aspects of how the system works, hence, sorry, I can't give away the cookbook just yet. But many of the hardware components can be gleaned from my obs website: http://www.atscope.com.au/BRO/bardenridgeobs.html

g__day
07-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Two things I'd be curious in knowing - what network bandwidth did you provision and what software did you select to give best use of that bandwidth?

I cabled CAT 6 everywhere and used Linksys gigabit switches - so intranet speeds are fast (internet is only 128 kbyte / sec for data upload). So I went the freeware VNC - which only gives 100 - 200 Mbit speeds (12.5 - 25 Mbytes a second) messaging - did you find better?

Peter Ward
07-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I decided to run with a Linksys Wireless N router (ie no cables) and my home net access is via Telstra cable. Resolving a dynamic IP adress was the only stumbling block (static IP's are not available with Telstra Cable).
However ASDL users can get static IP's, and this makes it *al lot* easier.

The system is set up to dump data a shared local 1Tb USB2.0 hard drive, which I access via my (gigabit) LAN when I get home.

VNC is certainly a solution, but any software that allows WAN remote screen access will do. Sure, screen updates get a little slow if accessed from the USA, but, it works!

acropolite
07-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Peter, resolving a dynamic IP is no problem. Simply go to dyndns.org and sign up for a free (and no strings attached) account. Once you have an account put the details in your Router/modem. The router/modem will update your IP with dyndns.org. You can even pick your domain name with various suffixes; how about peterward.isageek.com :rofl:

spearo
07-09-2008, 06:21 PM
woah!
what a setup on the website link!
major drool!
amazing job
frank

Peter Ward
07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
While I didn't use dydns, been there done that, got the T-shirt.....

Calling me a geek? Talk about the pot calling kettle black :P

PCH
07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Peter,

from someone who simply appreciates the ability of others, the images on your website are simply awesome in the level of detail they show. And your observatory and equipment are amazing - drool!

Cheers :thumbsup: