PDA

View Full Version here: : Lunt Solar 50mm first light

casstony
04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Watching our dollar head south encouraged me to bite the bullet and order the LS50. My current scope/eyepiece setup caused the magnification to be a little higher than conditions would support but I still got a reasonable comparison to the PST (not a thorough examination though).

At first glance the only obvious difference was the lack of the reddish background that you see in the pst, with similar features seen in both scopes (prominences, surface mottling). Closer examination of a large prom showed significantly more detail in the Lunt, with detail more easily seen inside the prominence. Mottling across the disc was also sharper in the Lunt.

One minor glitch is that the filter would not properly screw into the ed100 adapter plate. Apparently this has been a common problem; I used the front threaded cap off the filter to work the threads in the adapter plate for a couple of minutes and now it all fits perfectly.

The length of the ed100 is awkward for this purpose, so when some kind person trades their ed80 with me I'll be set :)