PDA

View Full Version here: : need a better eyepiece

andrew2008
31-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi

Have a 10" skywatcher dob but still just have the 2 eyepieces that came with it (10mm and 25mm). Have since added an Orion shorty barlow.

Was thinking a nice 15mm or something. Enjoy looking at planets but really want to look at more deep space objects if this will matter. Anyway prefer to spend under $120.

What EP would everyone recommend?
How do wide view EP's rate?

Also chasing a dark sky area close to Brisbane's east. Any suggestions?

Starkler
31-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Cue game show sound..... "BA-BOOWWW"

To do appreciably better than the supplied plossl eyepieces you need to be looking at spending around $200 or more.

A Vixen 13mm LVW could be the go.

dannat
31-08-2008, 07:01 PM
you probably won't get a widefield ep in that f/l for $120 - for a 60 degree fov you might consider a WO spl 12mm (i have the 6mm and it is pretty good for the price). William optics alo make a 15mm swan 72 degree fov but it probably won't go so good in short f/l scopes - i presume your dob is about f5 or f6. The WO ep's are both around the 120 level. Might be a good idea to check the second hand listing here

andrew2008
31-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Yes, its an f5.

have heard people say this before. why does the focal length affect which EP's are compatible??

sure the vixen is nice but checked out price on myastroshop and would find it hard to stretch budget that far atm unless you know where it's cheaper.

what would you recommend for 200?

wavelandscott
31-08-2008, 09:10 PM
In that price range it would be a Televue Plossl for around AUD$105...a good eyepiece and within budget...in general for that price range it will be hard to find better than the TV plossls for all around performance. Yes, the eye relief can get short but they will last a lifetime. Alternatively you could get a 32 mm TV plossl around AUD$145 and use it with your barlow effectively giving you 16 mm from the combination. I have both and they are fine eyepieces.

Having said that, if you are really keen on DSO, then start saving a little each week and splash out on a 13 mm TV Nagler or a 10 mm Pentax XW...

I'll almost always recommend saving more and getting a single higher quality eyepiece instead of looking at the budget end of things...but that is just me.

Clear Dark Skies!

JethroB76
31-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Look second hand or even from the US, and consider the Orion Stratus and Baader Hyperion lines

Mark
10-09-2008, 08:35 AM
As you know, focal length determines magnification, so the shorter the FL of the EP, the less mag you get..but it's the focal ratio of the scope that may determine the usability of the EP. The lower the focal ratio, the more difficult to correct for aberrations (eg coma). That's why high-end wide FOV EP's are expensive, and why you need to consider the FOV of the EP. A wider FOV EP in an f/5 scope may deliver more stars, but also more stars with noticeable coma. A high-end EP may deliver the same FOV but with fewer aberrations.

Mark

drmorbius
10-09-2008, 02:47 PM
On recommendation from the forum I invested in a 13mm Baader Hyperion for my 10" dob and was very surprised at the improvement. They come up secondhand every now and again and they're pretty good value. Mind you, I'm no expert...

stringscope
11-09-2008, 09:21 PM
I agree with Scott, for that price range, 15mm Televue Plossl :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Astro78
14-09-2008, 06:11 PM
try astromart.com